ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Used 1992 ES 300. To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 12:37 AM
Polisciguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 1992 ES 300. To buy or not to buy?

hello out there,

i need some advice about buying a used lexus and hope you can help. my mother is thinking of getting a 1992 es 300 (i think this was the first year of the car, no?). i found one at a dealer and it seems ok. it has been serviced by lexus all along and had some work done on it before being put on the lot. it has all the books. they put in a new timing belt as well as a new water pump and some other things. it has 83,000 k/m it or about 53,000 miles. It has been air-cared (it meets air quality polution reqierments) and has had no accidents. they are asking under 16,000 canadian for it (i guess it would be about 13 or 14 us). i took it for a test drive and it seems great...i accidentally squeeld the tires pulling out of the lot...the sales guy was impressed with the pick up ) the car handled well and there were no strange noises.

i would like to find something that will be low up keep for my mom and not too hard on the pocket book. would you guys suggest this as a good bet for a used car?

is rust an issue for the es cars? are there any problem spots to be aware of? what is the avrage running cost per year on a car this age? would you recomend this year and model for your mother? if i suggest the wrong car for her i am going to hear about this forever...and so will you (laughing).

thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-14-04, 05:57 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Considering the low number of miles on the '92 ES and its excellent condition, the price sounds about right from a (Lexus?) dealership. It's nice to know that the timing belt and water pump have been recently replaced so you wouldn't have to worry about replacing them anytime soon.

If you can't find any other ES's around your area for that good of a price, the next thing to do is to start negotiating the price of that ES with the dealer. I'm sure they like to get rid of the 12-yr old Lexus off of their lot, so they shouldn't have any problem with the negotiation. Good luck.
Old 12-15-04, 06:38 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool Re: Used 1992 ES 300. To buy or not to buy?

Originally posted by Polisciguy
hello out there,

i need some advice about buying a used lexus and hope you can help. my mother is thinking of getting a 1992 es 300 (i think this was the first year of the car, no?). i found one at a dealer and it seems ok. it has been serviced by lexus all along and had some work done on it before being put on the lot. it has all the books. they put in a new timing belt as well as a new water pump and some other things. it has 83,000 k/m it or about 53,000 miles. It has been air-cared (it meets air quality polution reqierments) and has had no accidents. they are asking under 16,000 canadian for it (i guess it would be about 13 or 14 us). i took it for a test drive and it seems great...i accidentally squeeld the tires pulling out of the lot...the sales guy was impressed with the pick up ) the car handled well and there were no strange noises.

i would like to find something that will be low up keep for my mom and not too hard on the pocket book. would you guys suggest this as a good bet for a used car?

is rust an issue for the es cars? are there any problem spots to be aware of? what is the avrage running cost per year on a car this age? would you recomend this year and model for your mother? if i suggest the wrong car for her i am going to hear about this forever...and so will you (laughing).

thanks in advance for your help!
Polis,

Welcome to the club! Nice to see more & more Canadians here Where about's in Canada are you from? I'm in Toronto. With regards to your questions, even with the well below mileage (83,000 KMS), I feel that price is WAY to high for a 92 ES......it's awesome that all books & service records are accounted for & sounds like the correct work has been done to the car (timing belt, water pump etc). Do you have a link to the car on a website (www.trader.ca?) you can post here or direct me to to have a look? The book value on that car is way below $16,000 & while I would pay 'a little' more for a very low mileage car......I would pay thousands & thousands of dollars more! so be careful.....I'd still get a comprehensive mechanical inspection by your mechanic before buying the car as it's 13 years old now (or will be offically Jan 1st 2005).

The Canadian black nbook value on a 1995 ES 300 (it does not go back as far as 92) for X-Clean condition (you can eat off the engine & floor the car is so clean) is : $ 11,700 is the highest & the lowest is (which is poor condition), $8,700. This is the wholesale prices a dealer would give you on a trade in & this car is 3 years newer!! See where I'm going with this? So my guess is the highest I would pay for a 92 (in ANY condition......I don't care if the car is still brand new!) max is $8,500- $9,000......the absolute highest Canadian. I hate to say it, but it sounds like the dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners BIGTIME! Ask them point blank, how much they paid for car! If they have nothing to hide, they should tell you......they are in business to make money to be sure so a couple thousand dollars profit on a 92 vehicle is fine.......I think these guy's want to make at LEAST $5,000 -$7,000 + on you & that's ripping you off. Good Luck, keep us posted & post a link if you can so we can see the car.

Have the body inspected when you do the mechanical inspection & it sounds like it's in really good shape....if your in the Toronto area or close......I have THE BEST rustproofer / detailer so I can take care of you on that front as well. If your looking to spend around $15,000 - $16,000 on an ES, you will be able to get a lot newer one for that price!!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-15-04 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 09:30 PM
Polisciguy
Driver School Candidate

hi,

thanks for the welcome and your reply. i am over on the west coast in vancouver. ya few people have mentioned that the price is a bit high. i see it is listed at 12, 855 on the net. i guess they brought it down a bit. but i still think it is a bit much after what you have said. i made a mistake on the milage it is 85,000 k/m (sorry).

i did a bit more checking on the mechanical end and one thing that concerns me is that the real axle was replaced along with ALL the gaskets on the motor due to an oil leak. the boots on the cv joints were also redone. this says to me that there may be some kind of problem with the car.

more then a few of my mechanic friends say that i should find another car. what do you guys think?

as to price i would like to keep it to around 10. is it possible to get a nice es for this kind of coin or am i kidding my self?

i'll try and put up a link next post.

thanks again,
Old 12-16-04, 04:55 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Smile

Hi Polis,

It is possible to find a nice well looked after ES in the $10k range. I would check out www.autotrader.ca & do a search (I found a nice white one in the BC area actually) Here is a link to what I found:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...&type=province

The car you are talking about at the moment, dosen't sound too bad......even with low kilometers things need replacing, or fluid leak repairs.......mileage on a vehicle isn't as important as how the car was maintained.......although sounds like the gaskets & other items have already been worked on with the car your talking about so it still might be worth looking at closer........but that price needs to come down quite a bit still! Don't purchase ANY car (let alone a Lexus) without spending a few bucks (around $100) to have it inspected mechanically, the body condition, interior etc by your mechanic (if you don't have one, ask friends & Family). Just keep in mind that older cars like this (even though it's a Lexus) still will need rapairs, maintenance & general upkeep more often due to it's age, so makes sure there is cash in reserve for any minor trouble down the road. Keep us posted & Good Luck.......if you don't find exactly what your looking for just yet......relax, be patient & it will show up soon enough!

P.S. that white 92 ES looks sharp in the link!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-16-04 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-25-04, 07:23 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bit expensive
Old 12-25-04, 08:35 PM
Lexls400
Driver

Smile

My family owned a 1993 ES300 for several years and it had more miles on it when we bought it, but it was still a nice car that we were proud to own. So I think your mom will enjoy it.

And yes, 92 is the first year of the ES300.

But as far as this car goes that price seems a bit high but for the low miles and they are low for that year I would still try to see if you could get that car cheaper because it is still infact a 13 year old car.

Let us know what happens.

-Joe

Last edited by Lexls400; 12-25-04 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 05:42 PM
Rockefella
Driver School Candidate

Default too pricey

I think that's way too high. I'm in Los Angeles. I just bought a 1998 ES300 with 71,000 miles on it for $12,200. The car is in mint condition, both inside and outside (not even door dings). The Lexus dealer has agreed to replace a valve that's making a clicking noise, tighten the steering wheel set nut to eliminate vibration and put a waterproof sealant on the seats (it's cloth, not leather) as part of the deal. I think you need to look harder for a better deal. I found my car on www.cars.com. You can also try www.autotrader.com.

Good luck to you. Remember, there's lots of ripoff deals out there, so the harder you look, the better the deal you will get.
Old 12-30-04, 11:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Polis,

Did you ever find what you were looking for?
Old 01-02-05, 06:38 PM
Navy
Driver School Candidate

If you're seeking alternatives, look at mines for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 01-03-05, 02:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Nice looking car Navy. Have you used Castrol Syntech motor oil for the engine as well?
Old 01-23-05, 10:11 PM
D.C.GS430
Pole Position

Talking You cant go wrong

I had my 1992 ES300 4 over ten years. With well over 160000 miles before I traded in on my 2001GS430. And It gave ten great years with only minor problems I really love that car .
Attached Thumbnails Used 1992 ES 300.  To buy or not to buy?-my-first-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-24-05, 06:47 PM
Lexls400
Driver

Originally Posted by D.C.GS430
I had my 1992 ES300 4 over ten years. With well over 160000 miles before I traded in on my 2001GS430. And It gave ten great years with only minor problems I really love that car .

What kind of rims are those on your ES?

They look cool!

-Joe
Old 01-26-05, 09:11 AM
jbs
Driver School Candidate

I have a '92 ES 300 and have had some of the same work done on mine (axle replaced, CV boots replaced). I don't necessarily think having any of that work done is a problem, but I know from my proprty tax assessment here in Virginia that my car is not valued anywhere near what your dealer is asking.

I have just over 100k on mine but G-d willing will put another 100 on it before I sell it! Nothing better than a paid for car that you still enjoy driving!!

cars.com is an excellent resource for being able to compare vehicles, and then going into the dealer with a better argument than, "I just feel like paying less than that." :-)

And let me be the first to say . . . What a nice son you are for looking out for your mom that way!!

--Jason
Old 01-26-05, 01:44 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im always on the prowl for good buys etc. and the 92, while having excellent mileage is still priced too high. If you really like it, haggle with the dealer, you should be able to get that car for much cheaper. If you dont mind spending 10-13k try for a higher mileage newer model.

Quick Reply: Used 1992 ES 300. To buy or not to buy?