ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Supplies for Do It Yourself OilChange

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 03:46 AM
subhagiri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supplies for Do It Yourself OilChange

I wanted to save money on the exorbitant ($55) oil changes at the Lexus dealership, so the service department suggested that I get my own 5w30 oil (6 quarts) and oil filter (Part # 90915-YZZD1), in which case the oil change costs only $25.

That seemed like a decent deal to me. Does anyone out there do this kind of a thing?

If so, where do you get your supplies from? Internet wholesaler / eBay/ Costco? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
gt
Old 01-12-05, 04:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by subhagiri
I wanted to save money on the exorbitant ($55) oil changes at the Lexus dealership, so the service department suggested that I get my own 5w30 oil (6 quarts) and oil filter (Part # 90915-YZZD1), in which case the oil change costs only $25.

That seemed like a decent deal to me. Does anyone out there do this kind of a thing?

If so, where do you get your supplies from? Internet wholesaler / eBay/ Costco? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
gt
I will be doing my own oil changes again soon (I take it too my mechanic now because of the Lexus Extended warranty) after my warranty expires. The supplies you need are as follows:

- 2 car ramps to lift up the front end. (have a spotter to help you with this if need be & engage emergency brake after the car is sitting on the ramps correctly).

- 2 safety stands to put by the front axels for additional safety.

- oil catch pan to collect old oil.

- towels, rags & newspaper to prevent a huge mess.

- An oil filter wrench might be a wise investment if you have trouble getting the filter off because it's on too tight & because of it's strange location on the engine.

- I get my oil at Walmart & use Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic oil, along with either a K & N or a Mobil 1 oil filter.

- Oil plug gasket (install on the oil plug after old oil is drained & tighten back onto oil pan).

- Dispose of old oil at a proper oil recycle location. Ask a local oil change shop or dealer where one is & your done! All it costs you is your time & about half the price or less compared to the dealer. I calculate that my oil change will run me about $35 Canadian for a synthetic oil change, compared to $65 - $75 if I get everything done at a dealer, using their supply of oil & filter.

This is the 'point form' way of course, but you get the idea......fairly simple & I personally enjoy changing my own oil & filter. Good Luck!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-12-05 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 06:20 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello gt, and welcome to CL! Very nice to hear that you plan on doing your own oil changes, which is probably one of the smartest investments in auto maintenance. I wrote up a how-to thread here regarding my experience in DIY oil changes. Lexusfreak provided excellent info as well, so keep that as a handy reference. Good luck, and let us know if you need anything
Old 01-12-05, 08:16 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

Good for you gt. I have been changing the oil on a 2002 IS 300 Sportcross and a 2003 ES 300 and soon will be working on a 2005 ES 330. The suggestions in this thread are good.

I got my OEM oil filters and crush washers at www.irontoad.com
I buy Mobil 1 5W-30 in 5 quart jugs for a little over $20 incl. tax at Walmart
I use a universal oil filter wrench made of metal that is spring loaded to change shape. I highly recommend you get an oil filter wrench that grabs your oil filter well. I cannot use this wrench to tighten the filter; I tighten by hand. If you don't have a strong grip strength, I suggest you get the specific wrench for your filter so that you can use it to tighten the oil filter (I tighten about 3/4 to 1 entire revolution after the filter makes contact). Take your new filter to auto parts stores and look for a wrench that fits your oil filter exactly (they look like small cups that fit over the end of the oil filter. If it doesn't fit well, it can be hard to remove from the filter when you tighten the filter. These wrenches then attach to a ratchet; it is best if the ratchet is about 5 inches long so that it fits in the tight space you have to work.

I found that on the 2003 ES 300, there is a little black drip catcher underneath the oil filter that funnels the oil as it drips out. I took a plastic 20 ounce Pepsi bottle, cut it to size about a third of the way up from the bottom, and wedged it underneath the drip catcher. Now the oil that drips out from the oil filter is caught before making a mess. The IS 300 doesn't have this drip catcher; there I just wedge some rags underneath the filter to catch as much of the oil as I can.

I like changing the oil because I know that I do it the way I think it should be done and it costs less money. But mostly, I find it enjoyable and satisfying. I have the time and the space to do this. If you can use your time in your profession, it may be more cost effective for you to work in your profession than to change oil.
William
Old 01-12-05, 05:02 PM
Burnout86
Driver

someone gave me a pepboy's calender with tons of coupons inside it. there was this coupon for mobil 1 synthetic, buy 3, get t 3 free. so i got 6 quarts for about 16-17 bucks...plus filter so 20 bucks for a full synthetic oil change! i went back the next day and grabbed a calender from the counter and used the coupon to get some more mobil one. so now i got a stock pile of mobil 1.
the calender costs a dollar, btw, but i just took it from the back counter and brought it up to the front register. hehe
for the filter, i just use the orange fram with the grip...no filter wrench needed, i hand tighten about half a turn after it contacts. and before i take it out, ill put a plastic shopping bags and paper towels under the filter location to catch any spills.
as for jacking up the car, i just jack it up with a regular hydrolic jack high enough to slide a catch pan under there then unscrew the plug. then its drain and refill.
Old 01-12-05, 08:19 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X72
I found that on the 2003 ES 300, there is a little black drip catcher underneath the oil filter that funnels the oil as it drips out. I took a plastic 20 ounce Pepsi bottle, cut it to size about a third of the way up from the bottom, and wedged it underneath the drip catcher. Now the oil that drips out from the oil filter is caught before making a mess. The IS 300 doesn't have this drip catcher; there I just wedge some rags underneath the filter to catch as much of the oil as I can.
that is absolutely brilliant. I have to try it next time. thanks for the suggestion.

I get Mobil 1 5w-30 where ever it is on sale. Lately BJ's Warehouse (like Costco) has had the six qt. pack for less than $23.00

I use the K&N gold filter cause it is an extremely well built filter and the best part is that is has a molded nut on the casing so no filter wrench is needed. just a ratchet and a 1" deep socket.

steviej
Old 01-13-05, 06:15 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Burnout86
someone gave me a pepboy's calender with tons of coupons inside it. there was this coupon for mobil 1 synthetic, buy 3, get t 3 free. so i got 6 quarts for about 16-17 bucks...plus filter so 20 bucks for a full synthetic oil change! i went back the next day and grabbed a calender from the counter and used the coupon to get some more mobil one. so now i got a stock pile of mobil 1.
the calender costs a dollar, btw, but i just took it from the back counter and brought it up to the front register. hehe
for the filter, i just use the orange fram with the grip...no filter wrench needed, i hand tighten about half a turn after it contacts. and before i take it out, ill put a plastic shopping bags and paper towels under the filter location to catch any spills.
as for jacking up the car, i just jack it up with a regular hydrolic jack high enough to slide a catch pan under there then unscrew the plug. then its drain and refill.
Burn,

I would seriously consider changing the type of oil filter you use. Fram is rated as one of the absolute worst filters becasue of the way they are constructed with very cheap internals and does not do a good job with it's flitration. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-13-05, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by subhagiri

Thanks in advance!
gt
Welcome to CLublexus. Like some others here, I change my own ES oil. I have for the past 7 years. Its quite simple, the ES is really easy. I've changed oil in the RX 300 (easy as well), GS 400 (moderate) and SC 400 (tough).
1. Make sure you run the engine warm to get all the oil out.
2. Buy Toyota oil filters. I have used Fram/Purolater in the past with no issues.
3. I use Castrol oil and simply believe in the product. Never had any issues with it.
4. Rags, keep lots of rags handy to keep the area clean.
5. Ramps. I now use ramps, simply driving the ES up and going under the car.
or
5. Jack. You can use the jack, I was using a heavy duty jack. Bought for $40 on sale.
6. Oil filter wrench. You may not be able to get the oil filter off with your hands. This is a tool that make the job much easier.
7. Socket wrench. To screw off the oil pan bolt.
8. Case of beer
9. Radio
10 Oil pan to collect oil (turn in to local auto parts store, they take and recycle the oil)
11. Screwdriver to take off the protective plastic shields under the car
12.. Funnel, to use so you don't make a mess when putting oil in the car.
13. Old box or pan to put screws/bolts in.
Here is my method and an ode to the Clubleuxs O.Gs who taught me how to change oil
1. Crack open a beer. A nice cold start to a task
2. Run engine till warm,
3. Run car up ramp
4. More beer.
5. Open hood, turn off engine.
6. Put towels around, just in case of a spill or to wipe hands.
7. Take off plastic shield(s) with screwdirver, don't lose the plastic screws, put em in a pan.. It will make the job so much easier and the oil from the oil filter wil drain to your oil pan.
8. Place oil pan under the bolt where you will drain the oil. Do not directly place under, as when you open the bolt. the oil will come gushing out. strongly. Put about 6 inches off center to catch the oil.
9. More beer, make sure you keep them cold.
10. Now unplug the bolt from the ES's oil pan. Allow 10 min to drain. Move the oil pan under the ES oil pan about 1/2 way through draining so the oil catches at the end when it is no longer gushing out.
11. Plug in oil pan. Do not let beer make you tighten the bolt so tight, you cannot get off next time.
12. Move the old oil out the way.
13 . Wipe up any mess right away.
14. More beer, almost there.
15. Screw off the oil filter. Place oil pan under oil filter as this has oil inside as well.
16. When its screwed off, take the new oil folter and touch the old oil filter with it. Let the rubber seals on the top touch to give the new filter a tad bit of oil on it.
17 Put oil oil filter in new oil fiter box to put in trash.
18. More beer. Maybe some peanuts (sorry not on the initial list).
19. Screw on new oil filter. Tight but not so tight that you give yourself hernia trying to take off next time.
20. More beer (notice beer consumption increases at the end. Resist urge to go inside and grab new Maxim (free subscriptions here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147003 )
21. Okay, now grab the funnel. Open up the oil cap on the engine. Place somewhere u won't lose it. Grab funnel (not another beer) and place inside so you won't spill any oil. Now pump 4-5 quarts of oil in the car. You will hear the oil going inside the oil pan. If you have any oil additives you bought at the auto store, add those in as well.
22. Close oil cap.
23. Now is also a good time to get some WD-40 and wipe down the engine if you want.
24. Start her up!! Bring her off the ramps. Check oil dipstick and make sure you added enough oil!
25. She's done!!
26. Take your oil an auto parts store to recylce. DO NOT EVER DUMP OIL in the backyard or in the drainage.