ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My rims are here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 03:08 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face My rims are here!!!

First off, I must appologize as there will be no pics of the rims on the car until the spring, which given the cold-*** weather we're supposed to be getting for the rest of the month, that won't be until atleast late April (just my guess). Anyway, I have nobody to thank more than Todd at TM Engineering for hooking me up with an absoluetly KILLER deal on these baby's!!! I need to thnk Derrick at D2 thought too, as he helped me along the way, and actually pointed me in TM's direction, just to save me a few bills!! Thanks to both of you!

Anyway, no tires yet...haven't even begun to think about what I'll be getting there, and of course I'm open to suggestions! I'll also be needing spring/struts....or if all goes well with my stocks, coilovers!! The car should be looking photogenic towards the end of may, although once again, that really depends what's happening with the money situation. Until then however, there will be no pics of the car at all, as who wants to see a work in progress when they can see the final product sometime down the road? Obviously I post pics of the progress when it's all over, but until then....you'll just have to wait!

I had an absolute hell of a time getting the damn rims into Canada...a story which I could probabably go on about for days. Basically I decided I didn't want to have to pay duty on them, so I lied to the border guard about what I was bring back into Canada (I picked them up in Michigan)...I declared the little things I bought (I bought a set of silverstar lows and fogs), and neglected to tell him about my rims...well, he hands me the little yellow slip and directs me to go park over by the customs office...home free I thought to myself...no, no. I get over there, and before I know it I have two officers tearing apart my cars...and believe it or not, it's not exactly easy to "hide" a set of rims!!! Long story short, not only did I have to pay duty, but I also had to pay an extra percentage on top of that as a "fine" for attempting to smuggle them in (you'd think I would have realized this was a bad idea before I did it)...apparently I got off lightly though, as according to the guy I was talking to, there are 3 levels on which they detain your good...first being you have to pay 25% (so tax plus an extra 10%) before you get them back, second you have to pay 80% of their value before they're released...and 3rd....you don't get them back!!! So when all was said and done, my attempt to get buy without paying duty really ruined it all.

By having them shiiped to michigan I was saving about 200 bucks, plus a lot of time, as things are usually held at the border for quite awhile!! Needless to say, the money I saved initially was handed over to the damn government in the form of a fine....so I come out no further ahead then i would have had I had them shipped here in the first place...although I guess I did have a nice ride.

Morale of the story, don't **** around with border-guards....something I knew long before today, but unfortunately ignored!! Oh well, got my rims, got a wicked deal on them, and I'm happy as can be......can't wait til spring!

To think I actually thought nobody would be able to see this huge box on the floor behind the seats........

Enough teasing already!!!! Here they are.....

Once again, big props to Todd @ TM Engineering......looking forward to doing business with you again already!!
Old 01-14-05, 03:09 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Oh yeah...and for those of you who helped me out with my numerous polls inquring about which rims you liked best...well, here's the result! Thanks for the input!!

also, incase you don't know what they are.....They're the L-Sportline Model 4's...18 X 7.5.

Peace.

Last edited by W. David; 01-17-05 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-14-05, 03:15 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

very nice!
Old 01-14-05, 08:22 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol @ story with the border guards. Good thing you got through with the rims!

As for TM Engineering, Todd is awesome. I ordered my Racing Hart C4's from him and my Intrax springs as well. He was very quick about shipping and also made sure the rims were packed extra carefully to ensure they got to me without any damage here in Guam.
Old 01-14-05, 11:24 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Nice!!
It sounds like you went threw a lot to get them, but hey they will look great on your car!
Old 01-15-05, 03:24 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

W. David, Thats what I'm talking about...those are sooooooooo beautiful!!!

I'm so glad you decided to go with the silver just so classic.

You know, I see some similarities to my wheels, and all though mine are 3 piece, I much rather have yours. hmmmmmm they are relativeley inexpensive
Old 01-15-05, 03:44 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Not pricey at all Gato, especially at TM right now....I know they list in around 425 or so per rim, but they're letting them go for about half that right now...although don't get me wrong, I love your rims man. I wanted chrome for so long, but I kept looking at pics of your car (which is my fave on here), and decided that the classic look of the silver wheels really helps it out....I'd take class over flash almost anyday...for now anyway.
Old 01-15-05, 05:17 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

haha, what a story.

And nice wheels too. I considered getting in on that group buy, the price was a steal! Opted to continue looking though. Great choice!
Old 01-16-05, 01:36 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow W. David, I can't believe you got those L-Sportlines already. It sounds like TM Engineering and D2-Autosport have helped out with your wheel choice and delivery 110%. Congrats on getting them safe and sound, and I love the mean 5-spoke design and the clean lip
Old 01-17-05, 03:30 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Hey dude! Those are REALLY sharp!! I like them!! are they chrome or silver?
Old 01-17-05, 07:17 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by W. David
I need to thank Derrick at D2 thought too, as he helped me along the way, and actually pointed me in TM's direction, just to save me a few bills!! Thanks to both of you!
!!
Hey man glad you got the wheels! I knew that Canada issue was going to be a PROBLEM!!! LOL. I knew the clearance sale at TM was going on, and with the L-SPORTLINE being discontinued, I figured it best you jump on them while you could.

Enjoy, and glad to help.
Old 01-18-05, 01:23 AM
W. David
Pole Position

LexusFreak.....they are silver, with a polished lip...I certainly hope they look good, can't wait to get them on!!!

Derrick, thanks again man, you were a great help......and your honesty in directing me to TM just goes to show how much of an classy businessman you are. Much appreciated!!
Old 01-20-05, 06:11 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is that the most lip you could get out of them?
Old 01-21-05, 12:34 AM
W. David
Pole Position

Question

Gato, as far as I know it is...unless you could somehow find a way to squeeze the 3-piece model on there, but it only comes in a 19, so I'd say you're out of luck.....but what do I know?
Old 01-21-05, 01:20 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have mounted them on your car before driving back.

for tax!

Quick Reply: My rims are here!!!