ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES Hesitation!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 07:13 PM
xsohaib
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES Hesitation!

Hi all,
Recently developed a problem with my 1992 ES300 with over 120K miles. When I slam on the gas from rest the rpm's go up to 2.5K and then drop to 2K, while the gas is still pressed all the way, the rpm's rise again to 3K and drop to 2.5K after which the car rpoceeds normally. A similar problem had occured earlier about 3 years ago but it was due to the fact that the car was low on gas (not all the way empty but just above the empty mark and the rears stuts were shot), this time it is doing it even with a full tank of gas and the rear struts being 6 month old. The car has had timing belt changed, aong with the drive belts, tensioner, cam seals water pump, distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires, plugs, etc etc etc. I have had the $500 transmission service done at the lexus dealer a couple of years ago. The main problem is that I am not in the states (neither is the car) where I can just take it to the Lexus dealer and get the oil changed with a free diagnosis. last year I exported the car to one of the Caribbean islands where I am attending school and there is no Lexus dealership here, so I have to come up with the diagnosis. I am thinking the feul pump or the check valves. Oh and when the car is moving 10mph, and then I floor it, it does not exhibit the above mentioned problem. I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and gave it the italian tune up but that did not help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sohaib
Old 01-29-05, 07:57 PM
xsohaib
Driver

Default Diagnosed

Guys, I have just diagnosed the problem. It rained right now and I figured that due to lower traction in the wet, if I slam on the gas from rest, the front tires should spin, preventing the nose of the car from rasing too much, so I went out and slamed on the gas, sure enough the tires spun and the front of the car did not raise too much, and there was no hesitation, hence I guess the rear struts are shot (again after 6 months) oh well.

Thanks
Sohaib
Old 01-30-05, 12:19 AM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

Hesitation is a result of many things ...

it could be the injector it self clogged or dirty enogh so non of injector cleaner will help so it need a phisical work out. and also the (fuel filter) not the pumb this the most reason if you have spark plugs and wire set in good conditions. The cause of that may be caused by running the car with fuel less than 1/4 tank full. This will harm the filters, pumbs and the injector. this will come from may be dust or dirt went in the fuel tank and stayed at the base of the tank, so when the fuel level become very low it will be easy for the dirt to move through and clogges the above mentioned places.

1- check the spark plug wire set again and the sparks as well.
2- check the fuel filter.
3- injector performance.

I hope that will help resoving your problem.
Old 01-30-05, 06:20 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another possibilty is the O2 sensor
Old 01-30-05, 04:00 PM
xsohaib
Driver

The fuel filter was changed a couple of months ago and the plugs and the wires were changed about 3k miles ago by the Toyota Dealer. I would assume that if the O2 sensor was bad it would cause the check engine light to come on which it does not! I am still convinced that it is the struts, but will a full tank..........I could be wrong! I tried slamming on the gas on a downward sloping road and the hesitation was far less than when I did the same going uphill.
Plus the roads here are just terrible! I changed the struts in Sept. 2004, could they really go bad that quick?
Thanks
Sohaib
Old 01-31-05, 08:19 AM
richma7175
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem, turns out the engine snorkel was torn and was losing air pressure, the engine snorkel is that big plastic tube on top of your engine
Old 01-31-05, 09:53 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by richma7175
I had the same problem, turns out the engine snorkel was torn and was losing air pressure, the engine snorkel is that big plastic tube on top of your engine
Engine snorkel... I've never heard of that term but I like that LOL

Technically it's called the primary/secondary rubber hosing It's shown as items (3) and (5) in the pic below (under the hood of my '01 ES).

Old 02-01-05, 03:30 PM
xsohaib
Driver

Default ...........

Thanks guys,
Now here's the problem, I don;t have access to the junk yard, or any other parts place that I think would sell that part . So what are the methods to repair these tubings, to fix a rip in this tube.

Thanks
Sohaib
Old 02-01-05, 05:13 PM
khhoang
Driver

clean it up as best as you can and tape that joker up with some electrical tape making sure you circle around the cracks (esp. the accordian looking parts) several times tight and neatly. i've been driving around like this for some time now without any problems. i believe a new one cost $80 at the dealership. you can check ebay for a good used one; else, www.newlexusparts.com.
Attached Thumbnails ES Hesitation!-lexus_engine111104dd.jpg  

Last edited by khhoang; 02-01-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 05:56 PM
xsohaib
Driver

Default ------

Thanks so much, I shall do it over the weekend! Since I am in the process of selling the car anyways, I can;t wait for the part to arrive here (in the caribbean) from the states, it takes a long time.

Thanks again
Sohaib
Old 02-01-05, 06:28 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xsohaib
The fuel filter was changed a couple of months ago and the plugs and the wires were changed about 3k miles ago by the Toyota Dealer. I would assume that if the O2 sensor was bad it would cause the check engine light to come on which it does not! I am still convinced that it is the struts, but will a full tank..........I could be wrong! I tried slamming on the gas on a downward sloping road and the hesitation was far less than when I did the same going uphill.
Plus the roads here are just terrible! I changed the struts in Sept. 2004, could they really go bad that quick?
Thanks
Sohaib
FYI...your check engine light does come on if O2sensor goes bad
Old 02-01-05, 06:30 PM
khhoang
Driver

np.. let us know if this took care of your hesitation problem. lots of people overlook this air intake tube when troubleshooting rough idling/hesitation/cel problems. it's a simple check and simple fix if it's the cause. good luck!