ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

car shuts off as im driving!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 07:53 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shuts off as im driving!!!!!!

Less than a month ago I had my 120k checkup($1500) at lexus of Naperville(illinois) which included new timing belt,pcp valve, belts, spark plugs and wires. This past saturday my car for the first time shut off at a stop light(check engine came on the day before) then that day I was over an hour way from my house or my lexus dealer my car started to shut off while I was driving. I called lexus and told them I would bring the car in on monday. I barely made it to lexus(driving on the highway on the shoulder the whole way) and droped my car off that sat night. Anyway lexus looked at it on Monday at told them my car shut off 30 times on the way there(not joking either) sat night. They called my a few hours later and said they couldn't find anything and I told them to drive it a mile and I guranteed it would stop. They kept in over night and on tuesday they said it was camshaft position sensor even though It looked early to replace it(advisor said it was preliminary). The part took a day to get here which was today. I paid the $250 for the part and labor. My advisor said that the check engine light might still be on but dont worry about it(quote)because it could be for the oxygen sensor. I get my car back and they didn't wash it because my car was too low to wash. They didn't even wipe the dash or vacum the interior and I didn't get a comment card. I have all my repairs done at this dealer and they always washed it and clean the interior(4 times before).
Anyway I looked at the miles in and miles out and it was the same(means they didn;t drive more than a mile) and my check engine light was on. I drive a little less than a mile down the road and my car shuts off at a very busy intersection during rush hour. I barely made it around the corner and almost got hit(scared the ***** out of me). I started to go back because they was a strip center and my car shut off 4 more times on the way back. So I just paid $250 and it had nothing to do what was wrong with my car. I returned my car a mile after I picked it up .Also on the bill it said my car was leaking oil and that some of the oil had traveled down wiring harness but they were unable to verify this and vehicle test drove normally at this time(which is bs because they didn't even drive it a mile to verify).
When I returned my car I asked if I would get refunded for the $250 because it had nothing to do with what was wrong and they said it might just be the oil on the harness and didn't respond to what I asked.
What could be the problem and what should I do because of their bad service? thanks
Old 02-16-05, 08:07 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

talk to the district manager

i wouldnt go to a dealership regardless

go to autozone and see what codes the ecu is throwing

go to a trustworthy mechanic and get things done

the lexus dealership once told my mom they put a jet stream of fluid through the transmission which makes it in brand new condition.. yes.. changing tranny fluid is putting a jet stream of fluid through never again will i go to a lexus dealer to get anything fixed
Old 02-16-05, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by HoeBag
talk to the district manager
That doesn't solve anything. He should start first w/the service advisor that helped him, then work his way up the ladder. If the Service Manager doesn't help, that's when you contact the 800 Customer Care line and get the district manager involved. Stepping on toes only hurts your chances of getting ANY help. That's just plain standard ettiquite.
Old 02-16-05, 08:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by johnnyt
Less than a month ago I had my 120k checkup($1500) at lexus of Naperville(illinois) which included new timing belt,pcp valve, belts, spark plugs and wires. This past saturday my car for the first time shut off at a stop light(check engine came on the day before) then that day I was over an hour way from my house or my lexus dealer my car started to shut off while I was driving. I called lexus and told them I would bring the car in on monday. I barely made it to lexus(driving on the highway on the shoulder the whole way) and droped my car off that sat night. Anyway lexus looked at it on Monday at told them my car shut off 30 times on the way there(not joking either) sat night. They called my a few hours later and said they couldn't find anything and I told them to drive it a mile and I guranteed it would stop. They kept in over night and on tuesday they said it was camshaft position sensor even though It looked early to replace it(advisor said it was preliminary). The part took a day to get here which was today. I paid the $250 for the part and labor. My advisor said that the check engine light might still be on but dont worry about it(quote)because it could be for the oxygen sensor. I get my car back and they didn't wash it because my car was too low to wash. They didn't even wipe the dash or vacum the interior and I didn't get a comment card. I have all my repairs done at this dealer and they always washed it and clean the interior(4 times before).
Anyway I looked at the miles in and miles out and it was the same(means they didn;t drive more than a mile) and my check engine light was on. I drive a little less than a mile down the road and my car shuts off at a very busy intersection during rush hour. I barely made it around the corner and almost got hit(scared the ***** out of me). I started to go back because they was a strip center and my car shut off 4 more times on the way back. So I just paid $250 and it had nothing to do what was wrong with my car. I returned my car a mile after I picked it up .Also on the bill it said my car was leaking oil and that some of the oil had traveled down wiring harness but they were unable to verify this and vehicle test drove normally at this time(which is bs because they didn't even drive it a mile to verify).
When I returned my car I asked if I would get refunded for the $250 because it had nothing to do with what was wrong and they said it might just be the oil on the harness and didn't respond to what I asked.
What could be the problem and what should I do because of their bad service? thanks
I would first document everything that has happened and document all the times the engine has shut down, and etc. Keep a log with you. Speak with the service manager for help if your service advisor is giving you the run around. A good service advisor will work w/the tech to diagnose the problem properly. Not troubleshoot backwards like he's doing. Definitely have your receipts ready and that log to show the service manager what's been happening. Good Luck.
Old 02-16-05, 09:11 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Can it be engine sludge, I looked online and found that lexus recall on 97-01 es because of this. Some said it was up to half of all es and camrys could have this problem.
Old 02-17-05, 12:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well unless you have the most obvious systems of the dreaded engine sludge, you will notice it if you have a contstant white/blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe.Evident after engine has reached optimum temps and your motor is constantly burning engine oil, having to add quarts of oil between oil changes.Those are just a few obvious symptoms.
Old 02-17-05, 09:59 PM
AlecW81
Driver School Candidate

A malfuntioning o2 sensor would not cause the car to just die, you'd get terrible gas milage, but that's about it. I don't even see how a CAS (or CPS in this case) would cause this problem. It might be as simple as an incomplete or dirty connection of the MAF Sensor into it's harness (i.e. oil leaking into it) It could also be ECU related (capacitator caps could be melting... it happens on LOTS of cars) bottom line I'd take it to a different Lexus Dealership, or a very reputable Import Shop. Good luck.
Old 02-18-05, 01:20 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Its been 2 more days and they can't figure out what it is and there gonna keep the car another day. The said it could be the o2 senor if it flatlines or a fuel pump/regulator but they need it 2 show up first.(which it hasn't)
Old 02-22-05, 09:18 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

It was the capacitator caps, good call alecw81! They fixed it for free, so I was satisfied.