ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexbox Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 08:17 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Amp Re-Wire and Relay

Well, I added the relay and decided to re-wire the amps. I used a standard Bosch 5-pin relay. The wiring info is all over the net so I didnt feel the need to do a write-up on it.

Just connect the remote wire (blue) to 86.
The battery connects to 30.
Ground it at 85.
Use 87 to run to the amps/EQ/Fans/ etc.

If anyone is wondering why you need a relay for the remote wire, its simple. The remote output on your cdplayer can only send out so much juice. When you add 3 devices, depending on the radio, the remote wire is maxed out for power over the remote line. The relay connects to the battery for extra juice and uses the remote wire to tell the relay when to do its stuff.

The blue Orion was upside down before. The red L.A. was just sitting there temporarily. Not anymore. There is a flash reflection off the chrome amp if anyone was wondering whats up with the trunk carpet. For some strange reason I thought it would be cool to wire the dash 2.5" speakers to the midrange output on the crossovers in the Orion component set. Now they are getting plenty of juice and dont sound too bad considering that have roughly 3x stock wattage going to them. I also added some 8ga speaker wire inside and out for the subwoofer. I found out our alternator is only about 80amps, and I have an HCCA (High Current Competition Amplifier) amp on the woofer. Now that I am running 2ohm mono, its demanding more from the stock alternator. I ran the battery dead driving down the road! I was running three amps, the LCD, the Xbox, and the inverter. I need more power
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-rewire-5-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 12-22-05 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-17-05, 12:22 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Default ClubLexus Mini-Meet

I finally decided to go to one of our local rice meetings. I roll up and get out the car and this guy comes up to me and asks if Im on ClubLexus. I said yeah and he introduced himself as sk8r251cc aka Ben. Its awesome to finally meet a fellow member, especially in Mobile. You know we had to take some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-clublexus-0101-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 04-17-05 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-17-05, 06:48 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lexbox
I finally decided to go to one of our local rice meetings. I roll up and get out the car and this guy comes up to me and asks if Im on ClubLexus. I said yeah and he introduced himself as sk8r251cc aka Ben. Its awesome to finally meet a fellow member, especially in Mobile. You know we had to take some pics.
That's a nice pic. I love the way your blue color looks at night, and Ben's ES is looking good as well. Got any more pics?
Old 04-17-05, 11:39 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default boy. i wish i could attend

wish i could go to one of these CL meetings and chat with other members.... but my Es isn't as clean, nor mod up as everyone else's.... probably get a beat down for having my car looking the way it does:
both broken and cracked rear lights,
scrach up doors
broken stock stereo
even got KEYED
but i did wax it last week..
Old 04-17-05, 02:04 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusk8
That's a nice pic. I love the way your blue color looks at night, and Ben's ES is looking good as well. Got any more pics?
I didnt use my tripod because a friend of mine thought he could take the pics, wrong. The shoot was kinda spontaneous and Bens car wasnt clean. We agreed to do it the next day but I got hung up around the corner when this retard spilled out street racing and we had to help him. A completely stock 90 model Accord pinballed five poles. He was shaken up but hes physically fine. Cant say much for the rest of him though.
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-clublexus-0252-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 04-24-05 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-18-05, 12:50 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the blue as well.. I have only ever seen one of those colored ES's here on Guam... and it looked good dirty.

Yours looks awesome.
Old 04-23-05, 10:20 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Default Insert switches

Thought I would post a pic of the switches I added. I previously ruined two of these while installing the switches, I dont have the variable speed dremel. Here are the new inserts with switches installed. They are for the TV and inverter. I had the TV on a constant hot and have since decided its not really necessary. The inserts are less than $9 a piece.

Also the new 15" MTX 8500 DVC is pounding HARDER and HARDER every day now that the surround is stretching out. My initial impressions were dissapointing but I think this woofer should be worthy of anyones purchase given ample time to break-in and decent amount of wattage.

It is becoming more evident everyday that I need a new alternator. The headlights practically cut-off when the bass is going real good. I really dont want to spend +/- $500 on an alternator but it looks like Im gonna have to. I had a thought last night though, I wonder if a .5 farad capacitor under the hood backing up the stock electrical system would help. It would sit in-line with the 4guage hot wire I beefed up that runs to the stock fusebox. Then I can throw a 3 farad capacitor in the trunk before the distribution block allowing all of the amps to use the capacitor when needed. But all of this would only avoid the real problem, the alternator.
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-switches-005-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 04-23-05 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-23-05, 03:31 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice pics.....post more when you get'em
Old 04-24-05, 08:15 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Default Sylvania Silverstars

I bought some 9005 Silverstars tonight that say 60w on the bulb itself. I didnt realize our low beams were 9006 until I went to install them. I started reading on our forums and came up with the 9006--->9005 mod. The 9006 bulbs are rated 10w lower than the 9005s which sparked the 9006--->9005 mod. The bulbs that were already installed were rated at 51w. I modifed the 9005 harness instead of dremeling the bulb. The headlight shots are always better in person but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-silverstars-007-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 04-24-05 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-24-05, 11:14 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use flash and it comes out much better.
Old 04-28-05, 12:04 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I got so excited I forgot how to read, thought they would be blue, and then I would get the 32 white and it would be all good. They are YELLOW, which is kinda interesting considering I have yellow under the hood. Wonder if I should get the 32 blue or 32 white. The interior will always stay the stock peanut butter leather combo thing.
Attached Thumbnails Lexbox Mods-needles-004-small-.jpg  
Old 04-28-05, 05:47 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey lexbox, I don't know if that pic you posted from above is recent or not, but it appears that your engine temp gauge is reading too high, much higher than normal. Has this been going on for a while, or has it been fixed? It would be a real concern if it hasn't!
Old 04-28-05, 05:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Hey lexbox, I don't know if that pic you posted from above is recent or not, but it appears that your engine temp gauge is reading too high, much higher than normal. Has this been going on for a while, or has it been fixed? It would be a real concern if it hasn't!
I agree! Good catch Doug
Old 04-28-05, 09:59 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

It is my firm belief that the temperature guage needle has deviated from the default home position when Lextech did their modification. Like when you remove a volume **** and put it back on crooked, same thing. I have changed the fluid and sensor and the same problem still occurs. To prove the engine is not overheating I ran 110mph on an 80 mile round trip TWICE in a row and the temp needle did not budge from the exact postition shown on the picture. Beware.

*Updated*
1. I even went to Texas from Alabama and the needle didnt budge.
2. Now the RPM needle is flashing. This occured less than a year after Lextech did their modification. Im not sure really who's fault it is.

Last edited by Lexbox; 12-14-05 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 01:41 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might check your thermostat.

Quick Reply: Lexbox Mods