ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Legacy of ArmyofOne's ES250.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 10:58 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default The Legacy of ArmyofOne's ES250.

Well guys, its time for another restoration update. Jason (JP Importz) has been doing a fabulous job with my car, and hes even letting me help. I went through and made a list yesterday of all the things wrong with the car that i will adressbeforee i consider the restoration complete:

*=done
**=in the shop for it now

Mechanics:

Cam seals**
Crank seals**
Front main seal**
Oil Pump seal**
Valve cover gaskets**
Distributor seals**
Spark plug seals**
Timing belt**
Water pump**

Rear main seal
Power steering pump (still working, but leaky)
High Pressure Power Steering Hoses
Shocks/Struts/Springs (lowering when i do it)
Rear Brakes
Front Brakes*
Rack and pinion*
Ball joints*
Tie Rod Ends*
CV joints and driveaxles*
Tranny filter and 4 fluid changes*
Spark plugs*
Spark plug wires*
Motorvac*
Fuel Filter
Motor and tranny mounts

Preventative:

Fuel Pump
Radiator hoses
Radiator

Cosmetics:

Dashboard replacement
Front Bumper (fubared in an accident, made even worse on the way to jasons shop on friday when i got clipped on the freeway and the dude kept going...no damage to the body, only more done to the bumper)

Reattach Body Cladding (coimin off the doors, the sticky tape is old/clips broken)
Paint
Center console replacement

Minor Annoyances(bottom of list)

Fabric on sunroof panel redone
Door lock on drivers side rear doesnt work with the rest of the auto locks
New hood (dent in mine)
New headlights (housings are old and one has condensation in it, so i figure why not)
Hole in Pipe before catalytic converter (purposely drilled there by previous owner to get it to pass emissions)
Short in front right foglight
Mirror glass on passengerside missing ($37.00 ill get there when i get there LOL)

so thats what i have done so far and what my plans are for the rest of this project. after i get her back to like new condition, i plan some mods:

Header back exhaust system with dual 2.5inch slanted chrome tips coming out of the rear of the car, one on either side.
Port and polish on heads
HID Headlight conversion
Window tint
Rims and tires
Stereo

thats about it. I will have pix of the progress for you on friday when i pick up my car from jasons shop. he will take a few photos of the inside of the engine for me.

a few pix of the car:

Ok, enough whoring my ride for now.

I know you all must think im crazy spending this much on this car, but as rare as it is, and as nice as it is, i just cant see letting her end her days in a junkyard. that a lousy way to die, sitting there, rotting. So i am going to restore it, and hopfully pass it on to my children eventually (wen i have them.

I will say this much though, ciming across OEM parts has been difficult. As rare and as old as this car is, its impossible to come across NEW OEM parts. Most are refurbished. there are mainteneance items, oil filters and timing belts and such that i can still find. However, things like the rack and pinion, you can forget it. I had to wait a week to have it rushed from california. it was the only one anywhere NEAR here at the time .

there are however, and abundance of camry V6 parts. unfortunately, many parts, sucha s the rack and pinion, ar not interchangeable. the camry's turning radius is alot smaller than mine, which has a radius of 36.1ft.

anyway, thats the digs, what do you think?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-27-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 12:54 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookum good!
It brings back memories when I had my first Lexus ES250 in 1991. I loved that car.
Old 02-27-05, 12:58 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicest 250 I've seen by far!
Old 02-27-05, 03:13 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I love hearing these restoration project stories, and Army, yours is one of a kind for this particular Lexus. Hard to argue with unconditional love for the car You have my support all the way

Any modifications you're thinking of putting in later on? I've seen an ES250 around here with aftermarket HID's, 6000K I think. Looks nice though
Old 02-27-05, 04:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Header back exhaust system with dual 2.5inch slanted chrome tips coming out of the rear of the car, one on either side.

this will look very similat to those on the chevy trucks with dual exhast. chrome tips, 2.5 inch, clant cut at the end. one coming out of each side fo the tire well. it will sound incredible and look even better. i will have Jason do the custom exhaust work as he now has a welder.

thats gonna be the biggest mod besides the P&P of the heads. other than that, there really isnt anything i want to do performance wise. everything is already optimum for the motor. the intake design and everything. the most i might do with that is drill holes in the airbox for better sound, if that.

cant you picture crown vic style exhaust coming off the rear of this car? with twin stainless tips? incredible. and the nice thing about exhaust is, it can be put back to stock farily easily, especially the way im gonna do it. it will bolt together at the Ypipe rather than weld, so i can take it off in minutes as a hole big unit.

the mufflers will be a simple flowmaster or something.

the window tint is gonna be the next boggest mod. THAT will come hopefuilly before the 9th of april (DFW CHapter Spring Meet!-Check the Regional Forums!!)

maybe a stereo, if i feel like it.

OH!!! and LOWER the suspension, i plan to do that as well, with some 18's. should look pimp.

even farther down the road than that...5 speed swap!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-27-05 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-28-05, 10:31 PM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet project car. seeing a clean 250 is becoming more rare and rare.
Old 02-28-05, 10:34 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever thought about a 3-spoke steering wheel?

in japan, they didn't need to have airbags, so if your car doesn't have any, you may be able to pickup a newer 3 spoke for cheap (I know ones sell on SF for about $350)

That may not be cheap, but it'll upgrad the interior nicely, I think

Maybe a set of magnaflows instead of flowmasters... just a suggestion.

Nice job
Old 03-01-05, 02:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Supra coup-Magnaflows was what i meant. LOL. flowmasters belong on mustangs and big pickups.

unfortunately, my car has a drivers airbag. and equally unfortunate is that, in the state fo texas, if your car came equipped from the factory with a SRS system, and any part fo that system is not intact, you will fial state saftey inspection.

i agree, a 3 spoke wheel with wood would do it nicely. i will send this wheel off to be redone in leather and wood eventually.
Old 03-02-05, 05:40 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...comin along........before you know it this will be one of a kind fat 250

Josh, hope you got a good deal on some of those parts lol!!!

see ya at the meet
Old 03-03-05, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Wow, that is impressive. Great work dude!
Old 03-03-05, 01:33 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, that is impressive. Great work dude!

It aint over yet. my radiator is now completely clogged. the top half reads 180 degrees and the bottom reads 70 degrees. there is NO coolant in my system, and thats why.

unfortunately, i dont have the funding to fix it, and it was driving fine before, so it will have to again for another week.
Old 03-05-05, 04:43 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

ok update, tranny is fine, blew a seal on a high pressure power steering feed. nothing too bad. it isnt leaking alot.

THE OIL LEAKS ARE GONE.

ok, all but...

the rear main seal is still leaking, but i could care less. it sat OVERNIGHT in jasons shop, dripped ONE drop.

thats better than him coming in to a 1/2 a quart of oil on the floor after sitting overnight.

so the the list of repairs this trip:

Timing belt-1
Water pump-1
Valve cover gaskets-2
Crank seal-1
Cam seals-2
Valve cover washers-12
spark plug seals-6
Distributor o ring-1
Coolant Bypass pipe (the pipe that goes from water pump to the engine)-1
Bypass pipe o-ring-1
Intake hose-1
PCV valve-1
Thermostat-1

once again, i will reiterate, the tranny is not leaking as far as jason can tell.

now dont ask me for the price as i am not at liberty to discuss it. i have been sworn to secrecy, but lets just say, in the last month, the total has come near to $3,000.

BUT...everytime i get this car back, i love it even more! It isnt going anywhere.

the cause fo the overheating was the thermostat got caught half shut. the radiator is still clogged, but jason did a backwards system flush (for a VERY Reasonable price, again, not at liberty to discuss) and repalced the t-stat, and now allis well, but i will still have to replace the radiator eventually. it is NASTY.

and now the pix of the seals:

http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/album...5/DCP02358.jpg
http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/album...5/DCP02365.jpg
http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/album...5/DCP02363.jpg
http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/album...5/DCP02359.jpg
Old 03-05-05, 07:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

this repair put a HUGE dent in knocking the mechanics of this car out fo the way. all i have lft now is:

Motor and tranny mounts (doing myeslf)
Rear main seal
Power steering pump (still working, but leaky)
High Pressure Power Steering Hoses
Shocks/Struts/Springs (lowering when i do it, will do it myself)
Fuel Filter (myself)
Old 03-08-05, 09:29 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

well unfortunately we have no interior shots of the egine, i thought there would be...but thats ok:

*Drum Roll Please*

Timing belt, almost perfect! 143,564 miles!

Old 03-16-05, 09:50 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since ur in there and it looks like u like performance u need to gut the precat in the stock manifold.. that will yield you gains for free.... not to mention better mpg

Quick Reply: The Legacy of ArmyofOne's ES250.