ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

iPod for my '94 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 05:19 PM
couger77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod for my '94 ES300

Well I just bought my first Lexus after having a '92 4Runner for many years.

With the 4Runner I bought a PIE adapter that ran from the back of the head unit (pioneer) and I was able to plug in an rca cable so that I could listen to my iPod through the stereo speakers.

How can I do that, if possible with my ES300? Is there an AUX out on the facotry Head Unit?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
Old 02-27-05, 05:57 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about something like the iTrip seen here
Attached Thumbnails iPod for my '94 ES300-itrip.gif  
Old 02-27-05, 06:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

or the iPod-to -go seen here
it has a cradle for mini iPods, too.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-05, 06:03 PM
couger77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steviej
what about something like the iTrip seen here
I have thought about the iTrip but was not sure about the quality. Is it noticeabally degraded?
Old 02-28-05, 06:53 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

don't know. My friends have the iPod-to-go in their Land Rover and it works very well.
FM mnodulation has come a long way.

steviej
Old 02-28-05, 07:58 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new alpine radio decks work with the ipods I plan on getting one
Old 02-28-05, 11:00 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

ok so im running a 20gb nomad jukebox 3 in my es. It runs really great with the assistance of a monster cable radio fm adapter. Especially since i installed a clean cig power plug into the armrest. now its all hidden and with the addition of a remote for the nomad its all seemless. Sometime take a look in the arm rest(center console) when you pull up the felt mat in the bottom you notice a nice little plastic punch out.

anyways yes the quality drops. But i am doing the same thing. Replacing my alpine deck with another that has ipod controls.
Old 03-10-05, 05:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I use a cassette adapter to run my iPod in my SC. It is an excellent setup! Sounds better than a regular cassette because of the higher quality source. This is a better option than an FM transmitter if you have a tape deck in your car.
Old 03-10-05, 09:33 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

best option for ipod in ES or anycar in my opinion is the Alpine desk with ipod control/ainet interface. I just sold my nomad 20gb and im buying a 60gb ipod. The just $99 for the ipod controller for my new deck. I'll post pics once the customized guage cluster comes back.
Old 03-12-05, 01:04 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

FM modulator or AUX input to aftermarket radio are going to be your only options really.
Old 04-27-11, 09:20 PM
ikant
Rookie

After using a FM Modulator, I quickly want another option--sound quality is the dominating factor. I was reading the Crutchfield Car Stereo Installation Guide and there was a mention about adapters which connect directly to the control cables that would attach to the CD Changer in the trunk (without having to install an after market stereo). My CD changer [in the 2ES does NOT work--"Error"]. So, chances are I'll have to purchase a new stereo for install. But will still search in the meantime... [Nope, don't need a system that'll be heard 10 blocks away, but AUDIO QUALITY has always been a staple].
Old 04-30-11, 03:52 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use the FM Radio thing, get the cassette tape with the wire out of it. Much better:

Old 04-30-11, 06:30 PM
ikant
Rookie

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Don't use the FM Radio thing, get the cassette tape with the wire out of it. Much better:

Yup, purchased one, then realized the tape deck is broken as well--lovely.
Old 05-01-11, 11:07 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ikant
After using a FM Modulator, I quickly want another option--sound quality is the dominating factor. I was reading the Crutchfield Car Stereo Installation Guide and there was a mention about adapters which connect directly to the control cables that would attach to the CD Changer in the trunk (without having to install an after market stereo). My CD changer [in the 2ES does NOT work--"Error"]. So, chances are I'll have to purchase a new stereo for install. But will still search in the meantime... [Nope, don't need a system that'll be heard 10 blocks away, but AUDIO QUALITY has always been a staple].
A non-working CD changer does not necessarily mean that you could not use this wiring to put an auxiliary input into your sound system. The problem causing you to get an error message probably relates to the changer mechanism itself. It is possible that the wiring between the changer and the radio is okay.

There is an extended thread in the Audio section of the Special Interest part of the forum which covers the addition of an auxiliary input to the sound system wiring. Several posters on this thread have indicated that their changers were not working, but they were still able to install a new working input. The installation described in this thread involves installing a relay into the wiring to enable one to switch between CD input and other inputs (ipod, satellite radio, etc.). Since your changer is inoperative, you probably would not need such a relay. You could just cut the four lines carrying the sound signal from the CD (R+, R-, L+, and L-) and connect these to your new auxiliary input. Note however that there still must be connection between the radio and the CD changer, so one should make certain that they leave the other connections (those not mentioned above) in place.

This thread is extensive, but it covers in considerable detail numerous installations in various Lexus models. I did this myself in the 93 LS I previously owned, and it worked perfectly.
Old 05-01-11, 02:17 PM
ikant
Rookie

Thank you very much for the information CU. I'll do a search for the thread, especially since you've mentioned it's "extensive". Looking forward to giving it a try, as I grow tired of the "blackout" spots--places/zones local broadcast interfere with the modulator's own transmission. [BUF: Best User Frequency is 88.1 MHz]. Again, thank you--let's see what where this goes.