ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 09:54 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice unit IMO I JUST LOVE ALPINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but yes woodgrain would set it OFF!!!!
Old 03-04-05, 05:35 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by omaha lex
First of all, in response to the comment made regarding the difference in woodgrain between the 97-99 and 00-01 models, they are different kinds of veneer. 97-99 models are equipped with burl maple veneer whereas 00-01 models are finished with birdseye maple.

Doing the woodgrain yourself wouldn't be too difficult. Search eBay for "burl maple veneer" and you should get some good results. The woodgrain pattern varies, so be sure to compare the pic(s) to yours; you may get 10 search results but only one or two might have the appropriate pattern. Then you'll need to cut the veneer to shape and attach it to your plastic surround. I would suggest using special veneer glue (again, eBay) to get the best and longest lasting result. Then you are going to need to use your leftover veneer pieces to test different finishes to get the right color/shine.

I am going to be doing this myself as well, but not for the head unit (I like my stock Pioneer). I'm working on the back fold-out armrest... storage and switches to control the front passenger seat, rear sunshade, and massage (as I get these done I'll probably post some basic instructions/pics). Will be kind of like newer LS models.

Good luck!
omaha, excellent feedback on the wood grain and properly customizing in the '97-'01 ES

Your wood trim plans for the rear fold-out armrest in your ES sound intriguing. I don't think anyone's ever done it here on CL, so you may be the first one. Hope all goes well with that, and keep us updated
Old 03-04-05, 04:14 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
the guys at sound track also had to bypass the stock amp.

btw "omage" is now called impedance. sorry just had to.
so, by bypassing the factory amps you lose the quality sound of the mids and highs...am I right?

I've got a pretty nice set up on my ride on the subs and amp.....but my delay is the aftermarket head unit, only because I dont want to sacrifice quality mid/high sound, just to have the luxury of having a cd player up front

of course the the way out of that is simply getting all speakers replaced.....and running a seperate amp on mid/highs.

really want to get a cd player but need to know if I'm gonna lose sound quality?
Old 03-04-05, 09:36 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not at all. I have extremely accurate soundstaging. OH! and i put my new Alpine in tonight. Its the cda-9851 Incredible unit. Very clear highs mids and mid lows. and astounding bass. Plus i went ahead and got the aux input for my 20gb nomad jukebox. Anyways love the new deck! especially since its blue and white and so will be my gauges ones they are back from lextech. I went with the 32 white with blue needles.(i'll take pictures dont worry)
Old 03-05-05, 03:49 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Not at all. I have extremely accurate soundstaging. OH! and i put my new Alpine in tonight. Its the cda-9851 Incredible unit. Very clear highs mids and mid lows. and astounding bass. Plus i went ahead and got the aux input for my 20gb nomad jukebox. Anyways love the new deck! especially since its blue and white and so will be my gauges ones they are back from lextech. I went with the 32 white with blue needles.(i'll take pictures dont worry)
so, basically you are saying that even if they do a bypass I will not lose sound quality out of my mid and highs?

what, do they run them off of the head unit wattage? I thaught the omage was diffrent and cant use whattage from aftermarket head on lexus speakers? let me know thanks
Old 03-05-05, 08:54 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

keep in mind.....the inpedance on the stock speaker/amp/headunit is very low:it doesnt have to work hard to get the sound out.

So when you hook an aftermarket(in my case alpine deck) which is built to push signal accross high impedance lines.....when it is hooked to the pioneer stock equipment it runs beautifully.

Also keep in mind that if you use the stock amp but just replace the headunit...you can buy an adapter that utilizes the lexus amp.....thus keeping everything worry free.

I can honestly recommend the Alpine CDA-9851 for such a replacement. It has 3, 2v preouts.(front, rear, and sub). Also inputs for an mp3 player. and optional Ipod control.
Now im my case soundtrack previously butchered my harness and uninstalled the amp for me. So i had to just run off the wiring they had in place. Everything is fully functional and sounding supurb!
Old 03-07-05, 10:15 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

keep in mind.....the inpedance on the stock speaker/amp/headunit is very low:it doesnt have to work hard to get the sound out.

So when you hook an aftermarket(in my case alpine deck) which is built to push signal accross high impedance lines.....when it is hooked to the pioneer stock equipment it runs beautifully.

Also keep in mind that if you use the stock amp but just replace the headunit...you can buy an adapter that utilizes the lexus amp.....thus keeping everything worry free.

I can honestly recommend the Alpine CDA-9851 for such a replacement. It has 3, 2v preouts.(front, rear, and sub). Also inputs for an mp3 player. and optional Ipod control.
Now im my case soundtrack previously butchered my harness and uninstalled the amp for me. So i had to just run off the wiring they had in place. Everything is fully functional and sounding supurb!

I really appreciate your help.

I went ahead and baught the alpine this is gonna be sick!!!

need help finding the kit for 97 01
Hoebag....once put up a link to a website that offers 97 01 kits....anyone know?
Old 03-07-05, 10:39 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

do you want a dash kit or wire harness adapter?
Old 03-07-05, 01:33 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Yes!! I really neeed the dash kit.

at this point it doesnt matter wich kind( with pocket or without)

I originally was going to set it up like picture below

its called a fischer box, from porshe....but I dont think it will fit....not enough room.

this is a fresh clean set up on an SC, courtesy of southerSC
Attached Thumbnails My new headunit-es-alpine.jpg  
Old 03-07-05, 01:38 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

here is a closer look at the fischer box
Attached Thumbnails My new headunit-fischer-box.jpg  
Old 03-07-05, 02:09 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

i dont know if you have them in your area but check with car toys or with soundtrack. They seemed to have the one for the 96es.

Crutchfield has something for 96+

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JFSTZOU...fo&i=120998150

I'll check some resources online. what yr is your car again?

Last edited by 3rdelement; 03-07-05 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 02:25 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

mine is 97
thanks'
Old 03-07-05, 02:29 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

i wish you were here in colorado. Ide drive up and you could see if it would work...sorry. Ummmm call crutchfield and see what they recommend. if it doesnt fit then you return the adapter.

Btw let me know how you ended up tuning the bass and treble for your alpine deck. The 9851 has so many options that its going to take me a week to tweak it to perfection.
Old 03-07-05, 02:44 PM
khhoang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
I really appreciate your help.

I went ahead and baught the alpine this is gonna be sick!!!

need help finding the kit for 97 01
Hoebag....once put up a link to a website that offers 97 01 kits....anyone know?
i'm not affiliated with this seller so do your research and ask the seller questions before bidding. he also has the wire harness in his other auctions. good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 03-07-05, 02:52 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

thanks for the link...I've actually heard of metra.

but does anyone know where to get one without a pochet?

Quick Reply: My new headunit