ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please help with the following struts selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 09:24 AM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with the following struts selection

Hello,

I am getting a pair of struts front and back from the following manufactureres - Tokico HP premium blue Struts for my 92 es300.

It includes - a box set of 4 ( 2 HB3179, HB3180 front STRUTS , and 2 HB3181, HB3182 rear STRUTS )

I am getting this around $350. Is this a realiable purchase and a standard struts manufacturer? (Are struts for front and back available for cheaper than this?)

If yes then how much extra will I have to shell out for labor charges for getting both the front and the rear struts replaced?

Also will the dealership replace my struts if I take them these and ask them to since these may not the be the standard ones that they replace?

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-05, 09:46 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Those are nice struts, I used them in my previous toyota and they were definitely more rigid than OEM. I cannot help you with the price of installation, it varies. The dealership will definitely help you install and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Donot forget to get new strut mount plates when you do the change as these would have worn down by now as well.
Old 03-07-05, 05:11 PM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ssultan. If you can also post how much would usually strut mount plates charge? Thanks once again for helping out.
Old 03-07-05, 05:45 PM
gumbytech
Driver School Candidate

Default strut optioin

You can check Tirerack.com

I have a 97 ES300 and recently purchased KYB struts and mounts for about 525 shipped. I have seen a place for about $50 less (basically free ship), but don't recall where. The strut mounts and struts were about $60 each (8x60+50ship). My understanding is that KYB makes the OEM struts, so the ride is close to stock (perhaps slightly stiffer, but not as stiff as Tokico). Tokicos are top struts however. You might also check ebay for Tokico's.

I had them installed at an independent garage. I wouldn't go to Lexus for this work. If you want to use a dealer, check with Toyota. I was told, by this board, that my labor was high, but it was the best I could find after half a dozen quotes. I paid: $420 labor.

Also the bumper and insulators for the struts should be replaced and I doubt these come with the Tokico strut package. If you are not lowering your suspension, you can reuse your OEM springs. But when the shop reassembles them, that is when the bumper and insulator is replaced. The labor for this was included and I bought the parts from www.irontoad.com, I think the price was about 80 total.

I hope this helps.
Dan
Old 03-08-05, 05:42 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

gumbytech...the cost for the various parts struts+mounts sounds about right. It's definitely not a minor upgrade - the total does add up with parts and labor. One thing to look at though, if you are mechanically inclined is to attempt it yourself. The procedure can be found in the forums...I performed the upgrade on my old toyota a couple of years ago and found it relatively straight forward provided you had the necessary tools at hand, especially the spring compressor tool...
Old 03-08-05, 06:23 AM
khhoang
Driver

everybody pretty much summed it up here. but also considering your car is a 92 your springs may have lived its life. inspect them if they're sagging. would be a waste of labor $$ to find out later you need to change out the springs also after your struts were replaced. call around for reputable tire/performance shops instead of a general do-all mech shop for labor cost. i found one who did my suspension for $60 per corner:

KYB struts&strut mounts www.ajusa.com FREE shipping - $440
Eibach Pro-kit springs tirerack.com - $250
Labor for installation including all wheel alignment - $270
New ride quality - Priceless!!

btw, if you do change the springs.. that will give you reasons for new shoes for your car with the new drop!
Old 03-08-05, 06:55 AM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you mates.

I still have one question for khhoang. You mentioned -

"Labor for installation including all wheel alignment - $270"

Is this labor for sturts and strut mounts installation for both front and back?

If thats the case can you please guide me where did you get this done as no one is charging less than $450 for front and back struts installation.
Old 03-08-05, 08:32 AM
khhoang
Driver

i'm sure prices varies with location. as i mentioned, look for tires/suspension/performance shops in your area/phone book. for example, in my area Fausaks owns 2 shops and only do tires&suspension work. and yes $270 to install everything that i brought in front&rear strut, strut mounts & springs with alignment. make sure everything that gets lube gets lubricated. you wouldn't want a squeaky new suspension. i would choose a reputable shop over cheaper labor anytime. sometimes you can't have both.
Old 03-08-05, 09:58 AM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

get the idea. will go for better service than cheap labor.
Old 03-08-05, 03:33 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

270 labor for all that? Not in chicago I paid 250(plus 200 for a piece that connected to the springs that need to be replaced $450 total) Just for the lowering springs if I wanted to put shocks on that was going to be an addition charge.
Old 03-09-05, 03:20 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is there any fix to the "sagging rearend" look that the es300 has. i noticed on mine and most around town that the back doesnt look like it has the same tire to wheel well spacing as the front. Is this the springs needing to be replaced ? or just the stock stance of the car. Thanks.
Old 03-12-05, 04:08 PM
yoji6365
Driver

I just replaced all 4 struts on a 93 model. It had the rebuildable struts. I changed the backs to a non-rebuildable, reused the rubber seat, coil spring, top rubber, top mount with a new boot and bumper.

The fronts remain the rebuildables. Bought the cartridges, top mounts, bearings, lower bearing, lower spring seat, other various parts that go in the bottom, and a new boot kit and bumper.

I thought the old cartridge would be impossible to get out after 12 years of rust but a pipe wrench , WD-40 and a vise did the trick.

It took me 5 hours from pulling into the stall to finishing the clean up for the fronts.
Around 4 hours for the rears..

I spent around $350 for parts and stall rental fees.

A 92 also has the rebuildables so I hope what you purchased comes with the strut assembly. I hope youre not buying just the cartridges.
Let me know if you want a pic of all the parts that I replaced.
Old 03-12-05, 08:45 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Default nice!

Nicely done taking the time instead of money approach. Its always rewarding.

BTW does anyone have an answer to the question i posed earlier?

"is there any fix to the "sagging rearend" look that the es300 has. i noticed on mine and most around town that the back doesnt look like it has the same tire to wheel well spacing as the front. Is this the springs needing to be replaced ? or just the stock stance of the car. Thanks."
Old 03-12-05, 08:49 PM
yoji6365
Driver

Ive looked at alot of ES's and they all look the same. I havent seen one where the rear is up, like a Camry is.
Old 03-12-05, 08:51 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

to bad. i like the look of the car besides the fact it looks like you are smuggling midgets in your trunk. its all low. Any fix for that besides dangerously lowering the front and keeping the back at a stock height.?

Quick Reply: Please help with the following struts selection