ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help in installing T-stat

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 10:50 AM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in installing T-stat

Hi guys ..

Any one knows how to install/fit a Thermostat to a 2000 ES, I ve just got my TRD sport thermostat and tried to find out where to be fit but I couldn't. As the diagram with part shows an easy steps to be installed. My problem that i couldn't find the place.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-05, 11:41 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Thats interesting.......a high performance thermometer. rofl
Old 03-12-05, 03:01 PM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

hey lexbox!

yeah man I am rying to do something to this legend the ES . I believe she can give more that any expetations but sill hard to find performance parts to it.

Till now :

1- K&N air charger
2- Split-fire spark plugs, but unfortunatlly they didn't do what was expected so I ve been adviced from several performance buddies to change to denso-iridium and more HP is guaranteed.
3- Under progress sport thermostat.
4- Upcoming headers and sport mufflers.

Expected HP gain an increament of at least 50 HP.. Hope fully that will work fine with my car. I am taking chances...

Thank you for stopping by.!!
Old 03-12-05, 08:44 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As with many other parts on front-wheel drive cars, the thermostat on this engine (1MZ-FE) is not easy to get to.

If you will look directly behind and a few inches below the oil fill cap, you will notice two hoses.
These are the heater hoses. Directly below these hoses is the thermostat housing.

You probably can't get to this without removing a lot of stuff.
Old 03-12-05, 08:59 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

50HP??? from an intake and plugs??? are you nuts?

even with the intakem headers and mufflers, 25 tops.
Old 03-12-05, 09:14 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

I agree with army of one, I can't see 50 hp unless you added a superchager or turbo.
Old 03-12-05, 09:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

BUT, to answer your question...

the T stat is located behid the timing belt cover, ill provide a pic assoon as my hosting service decides to work again

i was going to point to it, but this will have to work:

you see the elbow thing about midway down the engine ont he right hand side? thats the t-stat. Its bolted right to the water pump. i dont believe this design was changed, so unless its something unique to mideast spec ...thats the way it should be.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-12-05 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-12-05, 09:35 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

The thermostat was located adjacent to the water pump (on the passenger side of the car) on the 3MZ-FE engines (prior to 1994).

On the 1MZ-FE engines (1994 and later), it is located on the driver's side of the engine as I described in the earlier post.
Old 03-12-05, 09:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

DOH

aks_01 has a 2000, my fault. CUman is correct. its on the drivers side of the engine.

but i have to ask...what does a performance thermostat actually do? anything more than an OEM?

a t-stat is kind of a one function thing...i dont think there is a higher performing t-stat for any car? honestly, who changes that for more performance? it woudlnt yeild any more HP or lower temps. you would be better off if you rigged it to stay open all the time...but then your car would never heat up.
Old 03-12-05, 10:03 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

I would have to agree with Army.

A thermostat only does two things - it opens and it closes. The only thing that could be different in a "sport" thermostat is the water temperature at which it opens. If it opens at a lower temperature than the OEM thermostat, the engine would run cooler. If it opens later, the engine would run hotter.

I don't really see how a change in either direction is going to make much difference in performance.
Old 03-12-05, 10:22 PM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all guys

but that's what I ve been told when I bought the T-stat, It will reduce the engine temp which will cause to live longer and squeeze more power. Performance under low temp is much better than it on higher. am I wrong or ve been slapped from the dealer???

so you recommend not to install that part???

please guys tell me ... say something ..
Old 03-12-05, 10:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

the onbly thing i can think of that it woudl do, is make your heater not work as well. lowering engine temsp is great, except it will only squeeze, MAYBE 1 HP at most.

your other plans for exhaust and all that are great, but your expectation of HP is wayyy to high.

i would say that the t-stat backto the dealer. if you dont have a rediculous amount of miles just leave it alone.

oh and splitfire plugs are BS.
Old 03-13-05, 01:23 AM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

Dear Army,

It's not my only concern is the power. Actually I like he idea of keeping my engine running perfectly after 198+k (kilometer). As the fact is that high temp good for environment bad to the car and vise versa. And 1HP is good enogh in case of I am keeping the engine running OK.

regarding the expecations they are not mine. i got it from the adds about the installing :

planed
1- Headers = 30 to 60 % HP
2- Sport Mufflers will give 5 to 8 HPs.
3- Iridium sprk plugs will give 5 to 15 HPs.

installed
1- K&N Air charger
2- Lower Tyres & lighter rims
both 5-10 HPs.

I 've been advised from SummitRacing dealer that these combnation will do the above expectations.

In all cases if I get 30 to 50 HP in total will give the car a very big push according to it's class and compatitors thogh this much of power on ES will be great to car size and wight.

Imagine 250 or 260 HP on ES ?? what you think?

splitfire plugs are BS. (Totally agree with you) and after experience.
Old 03-13-05, 06:35 AM
dpallenman
Driver School Candidate

Default Thermostat

I am assuming from your post that this might be a "lower temperature" thermostat. If this is the case, I am not sure what you are really trying to gain here. I can one hundred percent guarantee you are going to achieve nothing in the performance department. You may keep the engine temperature down a little bit in the summer months, but that always comes at the expense of gas mileage.

Judging by the amount of work involved, I say leave the original thermostat in place. By changing it, you are running the risk of leaks if you don't reassemble properly. You are going to open a can of worms.

Also, you said you like the idea of keeping your engine running great after 198,000 miles. It has gone this far, and a thermostat is not going to change a thing.

As a previous poster already said, a thermostat is simply an "open/close" device. Your present thermostat is working fine. Don't jerk with it!

Darren

Last edited by dpallenman; 03-13-05 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-13-05, 07:15 AM
aks_01
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Darren

Is it really a sport thermostat will not do a thing for me?? so it was a stupid step from me placing this order and ve been chasing for it for a long time. I ordered it online from the US after I got a lot of recommendations for installing this part. Several sport car places has recommended this for me and guaranteed a better siuation to the car regardless of performance. They said it is a very nice to have for the engine seek.

after all this I think I am stopping this project and put my T-stat in a frame and just watch it every day and night remembering my mony lost!!!

Quick Reply: Help in installing T-stat