ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ground control c/o

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 08:57 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ground control c/o

ok, i think i found my choice for a lowering method...i've decided on some ground control coilovers thats off the 99+ solaras....i think it will give me the play i'm lookin for (1-3 inches they say) really to lower the car and set it rite and also not sacrifice that much ride comfort...wut do u guys think??? good buy or no???

i want to be able to drop the car somewhat like the a/c car in the front...the back i liek a lil higher, but thats me....hopefully the coilovers give me that much adjustment
Old 03-15-05, 09:08 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could go ahead and try them and let us know... I don't think anyone here has used them before, but I remember someone posting I think it was flipside909 saying that his friend had some troubles (bouncy, etc.) on his Camry.
Old 03-15-05, 10:18 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ground control is horrible. i hope you like bouncing all over the place.. i wouldnt waste the money if i were you.
Old 03-16-05, 07:37 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

well i am seeing wut my options are, i know there isnt a spring out there that will give me the drop i want and since ground control is really the only coilovers that allows me to have adjustability with at least some-what of a decent ride...i thought it would be a good idea...and i did think about purchasing a full coilover setup from d2 or that group buy u all were tryin to start but i have the avs control and i dont know if i will be able to do an aftermarket setup like that without a problem....theres my dilemma!
Old 03-16-05, 10:59 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
well i am seeing wut my options are, i know there isnt a spring out there that will give me the drop i want and since ground control is really the only coilovers that allows me to have adjustability with at least some-what of a decent ride...i thought it would be a good idea...and i did think about purchasing a full coilover setup from d2 or that group buy u all were tryin to start but i have the avs control and i dont know if i will be able to do an aftermarket setup like that without a problem....theres my dilemma!
ground control will be the problem with you avs. because you have to use your own strut.
if you go with the full coilover set up...tein,ksport,d2, jic...ect....you are simply swaping the whole suspension for the the other.

I can tell you right now whats gonna happen.......you will get them......then find out you wasted your money....cuz for another 300 buck you could have done it right the first time.

been there done that....there are no short cuts to a fine tuned suspension.
Old 03-16-05, 11:10 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Ground Controls are just sleeves not real coilovers. And they are
Old 03-16-05, 12:38 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

i know there just sleeves, but there the closest things to real coilovers w/out changing struts....

now if some1 can guarantee that i can change my whole setup and it not affect the avs system in the vehicle that would be great...then i mite get in with the group buy on the ksport...i know when i had my mk3 supra i was able to find struts that went along with the factory tms system that came with them....but technology back then is very different on wuts out now....so i am juss rather more concerned about that and if it will give me any problems and besides i got my rims and the car needs to go down soon!!!!
Old 03-16-05, 01:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

GC are bouncy. The problem people have had quality issues either the spring falling off the perch or the assembly failing under hard cornering. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Just ask the guys on the other Toyota forums, and they'll tell you the same. On the Camry/Solara chassis specifically, they give a horrible ride. Bouncy if anything. The spring rates (despite teh fact they are Eibach) are not matched for the MCV20 chassis' weight, which is why they're bouncy.
Old 03-16-05, 04:02 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't learn the hard way, get the tein ss
no ksport not d2 get tein!!!!
Old 03-16-05, 04:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lexsterES
don't learn the hard way, get the tein ss
no ksport not d2 get tein!!!!
EXACTLY! D2 and KSport aren't really reputable companies. Ask all the GS and IS guys what they use. Most of them will say Tein.
Old 03-16-05, 04:40 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

The only reason why I say this is because I have d2 coilovers and the shocks make an intolerable knocking noise on surface streets. It has been a time consuming issue that I have been trying to resolve. So I am speaking from experience, don’t get d2 or ksport. And don’t get sleeves.
If you want to go lower than regular springs just get yourself a good set of coilovers with the right spring rate for your comfort.
Old 03-16-05, 06:36 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

:Tein doesn't offer pillow upper strut mounts for es/camry

as far as the GS/IS guys...they have alot more to choose from....there are soooooo many applications for those models.

d2 once switched manufacturing companies on the oils that they use, thus, making poping noises in the winter time.
not only that, every one who was affected that baught the ones that where recalled.....get them replaced at no charge.....NOW, whats unreputable about that?

I dont disagree Tein is top notch.
but then again JIC is suppose to be too...and their customer service sucks...should I call them unreputable?

Last edited by GATO; 03-16-05 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 07:13 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GATO
:Tein doesn't offer pillow upper strut mounts for es/camry

as far as the GS/IS guys...they have alot more to choose from....there are soooooo many applications for those models.

d2 once switched manufacturing companies on the oils that they use, thus, making poping noises in the winter time.
not only that, every one who was affected that baught the ones that where recalled.....get them replaced at no charge.....NOW, whats unreputable about that?

I dont disagree Tein is top notch.
but then again JIC is suppose to be too...and their customer service sucks...should I call them unreputable?
You are right Gato. The thing with me is that I went in on a group buy. The vendor is from Canada and he got them from someone in Japan. Those people I guess are not helping in our situation.
I've had these coilovers since about October and information is leaking through very slowly.
If you have a direct d2 vendor that can assure you the noise would be warranty then I say go for it. Without the horrible noises these coilovers are awesome!!
…too bad tein doesnt supply pillow ball mounts

Last edited by lexsterES; 03-16-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 07:31 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a camber kit can easily take the place of pillow ball mounts.. lol
Old 03-16-05, 07:51 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexsterES
You are right Gato. The thing with me is that I went in on a group buy. The vendor is from Canada and he got them from someone in Japan. Those people I guess are not helping in our situation.
I've had these coilovers since about October and information is leaking through very slowly.
If you have a direct d2 vendor that can assure you the noise would be warranty then I say go for it. Without the horrible noises these coilovers are awesome!!
…too bad tein doesnt supply pillow ball mounts

Did you get in on that buy over at ToyotaNation? I've was following that when I was learning about all the noise problems, that's just a bad situation.. Good luck getting that worked out, hopefully they'll get something going

Quick Reply: ground control c/o