ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES spring modification update

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05 | 11:53 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Default 2002 ES spring modification update

I have begun the spring modifications for my 2002 ES. Good news to report and some bad news to report.

Good news
I mounted the chrome trunk bar purchased from www.l-tunedparts.com. I think it looks very nice.

Stock Trunk Bar.

Chrome Trunk Bar (inside).

Chrome Trunk Bar (outside in sun).

Bad News
The 2005 tails are not a direct fit. The 2002 curved lamps hve three bulbs and the 2005 can only accomodate two. There is a black plastic trim piece on the 2002 lamps and not on the 2005, so this leaves a little gap in the recessed area on the fender. I wasn't comfortable with it. I don't know about the fitment of the trunk mounted lamps because for some reason they didn't get shipped with the fender mounted lamps and haven't arrived yet.

Good News
Stainless Steel braided brake lines are available for the 2002-2004 ES through StopTech and will arrive on Monday.

Bad News
The second roof spoiler is not quite right and the entire spoiler has to be reworded, again. The arc of the spoiler is greater than that of the rear window so a gap still existed. Dyna-sport has to go back to the drawing board. I don't know when that will be finished. But as usual, I will post up any information when I can.

steviej
Old 03-21-05 | 07:49 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

........sorry for the bad news on the tails....I saw a new ES yesterday....MAN it was clean...those tails are awesome......toobad...

hey, I like the chrome piece on the trunk lid....good mod
Old 03-21-05 | 04:16 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear that man. I was hoping to see the roof spoiler. Keep up posted!
Attached Thumbnails 2002 ES spring modification update-es1.jpg  

Last edited by IcEnPinKi; 03-21-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-24-05 | 07:15 PM
YJC88
Driver

Default 05 tails

Hey steve ... It fits actually, I just checked mine and it does not leave any gaps.
For the bulbs .... you would need to disconnect one bulb holder and that should fix it.
The gap .... which i believe came from the black cushion ..... my friend plug the taillights and
push them while installing them until there is no gap. That cushion will sunk after a while .....
If you still have them ...... you might want to give them a try. Mine works ....... Just pm me if you need pictures before and after the install .....

Originally Posted by steviej
I have begun the spring modifications for my 2002 ES. Good news to report and some bad news to report.

Bad News
The 2005 tails are not a direct fit. The 2002 curved lamps hve three bulbs and the 2005 can only accomodate two. There is a black plastic trim piece on the 2002 lamps and not on the 2005, so this leaves a little gap in the recessed area on the fender. I wasn't comfortable with it. I don't know about the fitment of the trunk mounted lamps because for some reason they didn't get shipped with the fender mounted lamps and haven't arrived yet.

Good News
Stainless Steel braided brake lines are available for the 2002-2004 ES through StopTech and will arrive on Monday.

Bad News
The second roof spoiler is not quite right and the entire spoiler has to be reworded, again. The arc of the spoiler is greater than that of the rear window so a gap still existed. Dyna-sport has to go back to the drawing board. I don't know when that will be finished. But as usual, I will post up any information when I can.

steviej
Old 03-24-05 | 08:19 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YJC88
Hey steve ...
For the bulbs .... you would need to disconnect one bulb holder and that should fix it.
The gap I speak of is not a depth gap. It is not a matter of pushing in the lamp while nuts are tightened. The gap I speak of is veritical, from the edge of the lamp up or down to the flush edge of the fender. There is a gap created around the perimeter of the lamp. Look at the picture of the ES in this thread. See the black outline of the tailights, now imagine it missing. The area is resides in would be empty with the 2005. That is the gap I am talking of.

And what did you do to the 2002 bulb sockets that don't fit into the 2005 holes? The pegs on the socket and the slots in the receptacle don't line up in any position so modification was going to be needed there. The third light on the 2002, I think it was the 194 bulb, did you just let it hang loose behind the lamp assembly down inside the trunk. If you just remove the bulb, then the dash warning light will illuminate, won't it?

Anyway, I just felt it was too much modification and bother, plus the hanging third bulb would bug the crap out of me cause I would know it is there. I do not feel the 2005 tailights are a simple plug and play operation.

To help with sleek silver and red look only, I just purchased a set of Stealth bulbs in 7440 configuration. The amber bulb will be removed and these silver bulbs that flash amber (similar to the Sylvania Silvervision bulbs) will help to streamline the appearence of the stock tailights. I'll post up pictures when they arrive.

steviej
Old 03-25-05 | 02:57 AM
YJC88
Driver

Not sure of thich gap you are talking about .....
The black outline is thinner on the 05's but there are some rubber around it
I purchased the taillight with all the socket .....
i removed one of the taillight socket and my mechanic did change the wiring.
On the inner part, i disconnect the bulbs and the holder so it wont illuminate sth on the dashboard. Its been a year and its going strong!
As far as the gap horizontally, it sunk after a while .... vertically, it looks fine. Both of my tails blend in preety well.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by YJC88; 03-25-05 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-25-05 | 05:11 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

your 05 tails look like they have the black edge to them. If so then this gap would not be seen on yours. The 05 tails that I got from Lextasy.com didn't have the black edge and did leave a margin between the lamp and the fender it was housed in.

I figured the wiring in the car had to be modified. This would be a little more than I want to do right now. Maybe later.

Your tails do look sweet.

Just one question (unrelated), what are the black circles on your bumper?
Old 03-25-05 | 06:01 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

it looks like camera lens for backing up????
Old 03-25-05 | 06:05 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

I bet those things are the parking sensors. Those lights look sweet. From what Stevie says he bought them off lextasy.com and they weren't exactly plug and play. Where did you get yours YJC and how much were they??
Old 03-25-05 | 09:28 PM
YJC88
Driver

It was not that bad .... $380 ...... approximately
I bought them off from lexus light manufacturer in china....
Those black things are parking 4 sensors. I have them at the back and front ($150)

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
I bet those things are the parking sensors. Those lights look sweet. From what Stevie says he bought them off lextasy.com and they weren't exactly plug and play. Where did you get yours YJC and how much were they??