ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-01, 12:02 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just curious as to how many ES owners has an exhaust system. What kind if you do have one.
Old 06-05-01, 12:25 AM
lobo
Rookie

Default exhaust

1niceride- I am on my third exhuast my first was RSR and it was way too loud then I went to a flowmaster 2 chamber 50 series and that gave me headaches now I have a magnaflow polished stainless steel exhaust and It was perfect for the first 3 months now it is a bit louder bit still not as bad as my previous exhausts but it is still a bit too loud for me, any suggestions anyone.
Old 06-05-01, 07:55 AM
chrislee8
Driver

Default exactly

I still can't find any exhaust that is nice and quiet.
I won't do until I heard someone first.

so right now I have two chrome tips on it. looks ok, not too flashy, still attractive tho.

Old 06-05-01, 11:15 AM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flowmaster

I got a three chamber dual-out flowmaster with two resonators. Pretty nice performance, but it's pretty loud. It makes your exhaust sound really deep. Deeper then you ever thought an import could sound nice rumbly sound. But I heard flowmaster is making a import muffler with more quieting chambers then the 3 chamber, if so I’m interested in it.
Old 06-05-01, 11:55 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Question

when you guys say too loud you mean not in a good way I guess. Does it sound like those little honda guys that think they have fast civics and the gigantic barrel exhaust? Those guys crack me up. My whole thing is that I would want to surprise someone and not be too flashy or sporty looking. I was on an Audi site and this guy had an A4 and was saying that ES wasn't a good car and his car beat it in a race. That bothers me. I think tonight I'm going to find every A4 I can and beat the tar out of them.
Old 06-05-01, 04:56 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

No way!!!!!! My car sounds nothing like a Honda, it sounds more like a v6 Camaro with an exhaust! It's rather basier then high pitched. It’s so deep that it rattles the change I though in that little area under my parking break. But it sounds awesome, I love it. Its just a little to loud. Some people like it, and some people say it’s too quite. In the city its the loudest, rumbling to every stop light with a deep throaty tone, but on the freeway it quiets down to a nice hum, almost unnoticeable. That’s when you want it to be quite, not loud on a 4 hour freeway trip. But believe it or not, its way quieter then the Hondas because the high-pitched ear piercing noise travels father the low base my car puts out.

I wish there was a place to post sound clips and video clips here! Can some one work on it or let me know a way to do that.
Old 06-05-01, 07:55 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

The reason i asked was that i saw a 98 ES 300 with an exhaust Sunday night when i went to the movies.

He had an exhaust system with 3 1/2 or 4 inch tip . I did not like the sound of it . Sounded like a civic almost. Not deep like my greddy. It wasn't that loud though.
Old 06-06-01, 10:35 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Talking

those crazy honda guys. hahahah. Actually I shouldn't laugh. Corolla guys do it too. I think there's a happy medium. I personally would love to have a car that is lightning quick but doesn't make a sound. Element of surprise, yes? But obviously there's going to be noise coming from suped up pipes. I say as long as the sound is tough it's got the Ramsee1 seal of approval.
With recording the exhaust system, record it with a recorder and play it back onto the sound recorder on windows with a double ended headphone jack. Then e-mail it to Ramsee1@aol.com... I'll be the judge of what does or doesn't sound like a civic. hahahah
Old 06-07-01, 03:13 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Wink

I'll work on it, and it doesn't sound like a civic, this challenge is on buddy is there a special way to save the file, like a way or mp3 I'm not to familiar with that I'm into vid files, and just to add a little something, ill even send a audio clip of me pealing out in my es hows that.
Old 06-07-01, 03:47 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Thumbs up

whatever it takes! I got wav players, mpg players, quicktime viewers, you got a file, I can play it. I just got a DV camera... maybe I will make a movie of my own.
Old 06-19-01, 01:31 AM
1.8taeboi
Driver School Candidate

are these exhausts you're talking about full cat-backs or just the mufflers?
Who makes full cat-backs for '93 ES300?
Old 06-20-01, 02:10 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

I don't think anyone makes a "full cat back system" for the ES300, but most good custom shops will get the size pipe you want and bend it to the shape of your exhaust, basically making your custom cat back system, this will probably be cheaper then buying a full cat back from a name brand like Gredy or something and it will do the same thing in performance. Although I left the stock cat-back because the only bigger size would be 3 in because I believe we already have a nice cat-back like a 2.25 or even a 2.5 in I think so any bigger would hurt the low-end and also be louder.