ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Disassemble side mirror???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 11:05 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassemble side mirror???

Has anyone taken apart a 97-01 side mirror? Like if you wanted to repair/replace the motor assembly or the mirror? I want to install amber LED turn signals in it but have no idea how to get the thing apart and I don't just want to just wing it and risk breaking something... thanks!
Old 03-25-05, 12:01 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I want to add some blinkers into the mirrors but I want something factory looking. What product are you using?
Old 03-25-05, 01:02 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexbox
I want to add some blinkers into the mirrors but I want something factory looking. What product are you using?
I'm not using a premade product, I'm just planning on mounting [5?] 3mm ultrabright amber LEDs in each side mirror by drilling a hole for each and using little plastic mounting clips bought from allelectronics...

here's kind of the look I'm going for (please excuse my crappy photoshop skills... )
Attached Thumbnails Disassemble side mirror???-mirror-turn-signal-photochop.jpg  
Old 03-25-05, 01:07 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh snap...that looks cool but make sure to pic a spot where the entire LED mount is flush with the rounded mirror housing. Post some pics of your work when you get going
Old 03-25-05, 06:13 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I've posted this before in maintenance and noone could come up with any suggestions so I'm posting again here in case someone who knows how to disassemble a side view mirror might know what my problem is. On my 2000 ES I went to make a rare adjustment to my passenger side view mirror and noticed it wasn't working (same on driver side also) i noticed that it wasn't lit up either where the switch is. Now when changing driver seat memory from 1 to 2 the mirror actually moves Also could this have anything to do with an amp and sub install I had around the same time I noticed the mirrors were not working?
Old 03-26-05, 07:02 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Anybody???
Old 03-26-05, 10:23 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had to do any outside mirror disassembly on my 94 ES; however, I did have to replace the broken glass in my 93 LS right side mirror. I would guess that the assembly is the same, but I can't be certain.

The 93 LS mirror had clips on the top, bottom, and on one side (the outside, not the side closest to the car body). The critical step was releasing the bottom clips first. Use a screwdriver and pry outwards between the bottom of the mirror glass and the mirror assembly.
After the bottom clips are released, push downward on the top of the mirror to release the top clips. The side clips should release easily when the top and bottom clips are released.

Be very careful with the screwdriver so you don't mar the paint on the mirror assembly. I stuck a strip of tape on the mirror assembly before I started to remove the broken glass.
Old 03-30-05, 10:27 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CUMan
I have not had to do any outside mirror disassembly on my 94 ES; however, I did have to replace the broken glass in my 93 LS right side mirror. I would guess that the assembly is the same, but I can't be certain.

The 93 LS mirror had clips on the top, bottom, and on one side (the outside, not the side closest to the car body). The critical step was releasing the bottom clips first. Use a screwdriver and pry outwards between the bottom of the mirror glass and the mirror assembly.
After the bottom clips are released, push downward on the top of the mirror to release the top clips. The side clips should release easily when the top and bottom clips are released.

Be very careful with the screwdriver so you don't mar the paint on the mirror assembly. I stuck a strip of tape on the mirror assembly before I started to remove the broken glass.
Okay, I'll give that a shot. Hopefully I don't break anything in the process...

I'll be sure to take pics and possibly put together a DIY