ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Love my ES, BUT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 07:01 PM
Lex Master
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Love my ES, BUT!

I love my 2000 ES300 it’s been the most reliable car I have ever had. This is actually my second ES, my other was a 93. Anyways to get to the point. How many of you with an ES with TRAC have almost been killed when forgetting about the track, example you want to pull out into a busy intersection, and forget about the track, and you gun it. BIG MISTAKE! It starts to peel out, and go, but the track of course kicks in, and slows your take of so you are what feel like sitting in the road waiting to get hit by oncoming traffic. Well I know you can turn off the track, but of course Toyota has it so it is on by default in the ECU so it’s on when ever you start the car again. I know you can also turn it off errantly by disabling it through the ECU, but it’s also nice to have. I just want to take an informal survey with you all with how many of you this has affected thanks! Also I do not know anything about the 02’s and up I only know this affects 01’s and lower that have TRAC, maybe its improved on the 02’s and higher.
Old 03-25-05, 07:16 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TRAC - I love it

because it serves its purpose of not just letting you throttle the car when you are slipping, but more importantly informing you that you are not getting the traction.

The only times it ever came on was in the snow (the more snow the more frequent), and once in the rain with very slick oil spot. I also think that the TRAC came on more often when I had original OEM Michelins on as compared with Falkens. Your tires may have a lot to do with whehter you slip, and as a result cause the TRAC to come on.

It was right after the snowstorms and I was pulling out of the community onto the main road, and I hit a lot of sand/dirt, the car took a while to get out of that, and that made it exciting. The TRAC never came on, but the effect was the same, and it made it very exciting.
Old 03-25-05, 09:43 PM
Lex Master
Driver School Candidate

Default Still annoyed by it

Well we can relate on the weather than since we are neighbors in terms of our states. Anyways sand, and dirt do cause it to have problems, but I find them annoying, because like most people I just want my car to go not process, but I can understand why it is doing it. As regards to the tires you are correct of course it has allot to do with what you’re riding on. I have new Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's that have about 5,000 miles at most on them, they have an AA for traction, and A for Mud, and 400 tread life. They are the stock size. I know these tires are not sporty by any means, but they are more for touring. They get a very high ratting for almost everything across the board. Our LS400 has these same tires, but the TRAC is not lighting up constantly when I push the gas just as hard in the same area of driving under the same conditions. I know the LS are rear, which is a factor also. My whole point is, is that it seems the ES is very sensitive with TRAC compared to other Lexus models, and I was wondering to get some more insight to see if its just me or some other people are running into this to, thanks.
Old 03-26-05, 08:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never driven an 01 or below actually, but I have driven 02+ loaner cars and never really noticed this problem. Then again I don't think I make a habit of peeling out in slick conditions in heavy traffic, either.

My GS4 has VSC and I can tell a noticable difference in how it handles traction adjustments with it on or without it. I'm sure the new VDIM traction helps even more.
Old 03-26-05, 07:00 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Default TRAC sensitivity ES vs LS

I've only got TRAC on my 99ES300. I've driven a host of loaner ES300/330s and those too, it was easy to get the TRAC to light up if the car was in less than optimal conditions (I love playing in snow)

The Turanza LS-Vs are great touring tires for dry and rain conditons, but it's too bad that that they are discontinuing them as the local firestone dealer said that they weren't selling. The Bridgestone G009 (max H rating) is a replacement? Not really.

I think since you say that the LS400 does not lose TRAC whereas the ES300 is very intersting. I would have initially guessed otherwise.
But I think back to my insurance agent who drove a late model 92 or 93 LS400 and she told me a story where she was climbing up a snowy hill and passing cars, and was the only one able to make it up, slowly. I didn't quite believe her since it was rear wheel drive

Some reasons why an LS might be less sensitive to ES is...
1. Weight distribution (I'm sure the ES is more like 67/37, whereas the LS is closer to 55/45)
2. Tire size / pressure - just the fact that the tire is larger on the LS than the ES gives it better footprint, and pressure makes a big difference.
3. And just like you say, with rear wheel drive - LS may have the advantage when you are trying to steer and accelerate at the same time in an instant because the steering wheels are not the drive wheels also.

Yeah, the ES might in fact be very sensitive to engage TRAC.
Old 03-27-05, 12:03 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would say acquire better rims for traction or dont pull out into traffic anyway.
Old 03-27-05, 07:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-27-05, 08:23 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had that problem several times, but all you need to do is ease up on the throttle and take your time.
Old 03-28-05, 07:32 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by miltonlin
The Bridgestone G009 (max H rating) is a replacement? Not really.
Are those the Potenza G009's your refering to? I was thinking of getting those soon, do you not reccomend I do?
Old 03-28-05, 06:50 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Default G009

Originally Posted by superpats
Are those the Potenza G009's your refering to? I was thinking of getting those soon, do you not reccomend I do?
Yes, Bridgestone Potenza G009. The local tire place says they are good tires, so do many of the reviews on tirerack. Even pretty good in snow, and that might be of concern to you. I don't think I can recommend a tire unless I have experience with them.
I am looking for V rated because that's all I have ever driven, although H rated might serve me just fine.
Please be aware that the G009's are unidirectional, which means you mount them only one way.