ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anybody have wiring diagram for radio ciruit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 10:52 AM
bri67ran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anybody have wiring diagram for 94-300 radio ciruit?

Before I even get started, I double-dog SWEAR that I have done searches on the message board for this, but I can not find it. I also asked my Lexus dealer and they say they won't sell it to me. This is for a 1994 ES 300.

The issue is that when I tried to fix my power antenna a few months back, I totally boned it up and fried out some stuff on the radio circuit. So now various things work (radio), while others don't (antenna, dome light, door chime, door locks, trip odometer). It's not the whole ciruit but just some of it. What I really need is a wiring diagram for the radio ciruit if any one has one. Not a diagram of what plugs into the back of the radio, but the entire ciruit.

I hope someone can help me, I'd hate to think how much Lexus would charge to fix this. I really appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 03-30-05, 12:13 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Electrical systems in cars work mostly off of relays and stuff like that packed into little modules. If you have all that stuff going out I would imagine you knocked out a very important module or two. If you consider your problems individually I doubt that 8-9 seperate modules went out. My first guess would be to check all your fuses with a test light if you havent done already (gasp). Following KISS, If your radio doesnt work then the radio is actually dead or its the fuse. The "circuit" path you seek should begin there. Let us know.

When I worked at the stereo shop we worked on an Infinity that had been in a major fire. During the install we unknowingly finished disconnecting a loose connector going to a major module bank thing. We couldnt figure out why the car wouldnt turn over all the way. Infinity later figured it out with their diagnostic equipment that scanned the electrical paths and stuff.
Old 03-30-05, 12:57 PM
bri67ran
Driver School Candidate

I agree with your logic completely, and due to the serial nature of automotive circuits, I feel that at most one or two relay modules are bad. Unfortunately I don't know which ones to look at or where they area, so a diagram would be very helpful.

I forgot to mention that I did check the fuse and it is fine. Also the radio does work, it's the only thing that turned off when I took the fuse off - everything else was already broken!!
Old 03-30-05, 01:08 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You are looking for the blueprints to your entire electrical system. Then you are gonna attempt to do it yourself. Even if you find the modules you are looking for the only way to know if they are bad or not is to replace them. Based on the handling of the antenna motor I cant help but suggest a professional electrical diagnostic and then we can help to replace the bad parts. Beyond that Im not really sure what to do. Good luck.
Old 04-19-05, 09:08 AM
bri67ran
Driver School Candidate

Smile Got it fixed!!

Finally got it fixed. Thank God for my Dad who knows more about cars. There was another fuse panel in the hood compartment (there are two!!! surprise). This one had a 20A micro-fuse shorted out on the DOME circuit. It was cutting off the dome light, chimes, trunk light, door light, power door lock, map light and trip odometer. Strange that all those things were on that circuit, but whatever.

Won a new antenna with motor relay on E-bay this weekend and will install next weekend. Fully functional, fully contained - so maybe I won't screw this one up.

All is right with the Lexus world again.
Old 04-19-05, 09:38 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bri67ran
Finally got it fixed. Thank God for my Dad who knows more about cars. There was another fuse panel in the hood compartment (there are two!!! surprise). This one had a 20A micro-fuse shorted out on the DOME circuit. It was cutting off the dome light, chimes, trunk light, door light, power door lock, map light and trip odometer. Strange that all those things were on that circuit, but whatever.

Won a new antenna with motor relay on E-bay this weekend and will install next weekend. Fully functional, fully contained - so maybe I won't screw this one up.

All is right with the Lexus world again.
That's great that you have your father help you out with the problem, and I'm glad to hear it's all fixed and ready to go. The antenna install should give new life for your radio. Good luck and keep us posted!