ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Adding a Subwoofer to a stock 1994 ES300...help !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-01, 10:22 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

OK I know I have asked around at stereo shops and they all say it cant be done, so I am not looking for the stock answer of no. I know there is a way, and thats why I ask you guys.

I have a very nice 200WX4 amp that I would like to not go to waste. The stock ES300 system (premium) is very nice, although very lacking in bass. I would be happy if I could add one 12" or 2 10"'s and use my existing amp. The only solution I could think of was taking the rear speakers and wiring them to a RCA converter, then going thru a crossover (which I have) to get the high frequency out, then to my amp. But I have heard you introduce a lot of noise that way.

Keep in mind that I have absolutely no desire to upgrade or replace the stock head unit, although that would be the easiest route. I really dig the stock look up front and would like to keep it that way.

Im hoping some of you smart guys will have figured out a good way to add a woofer. Maybe Chrislee will take a stab at it, I saw your webpage, killer job bro, you will have to post some more detailed info on how to get that car PC going for the rest of us.

As a side note, just scored some stock 1998 ES rims for my baby, for $300 !!! They look super sharp.

Thanx...Rick
Old 06-09-01, 10:58 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

With the existing head unit, I would think the only way to do that would be like you said. A line to RCA converter. Since an aftermarket head unit would obviously have one or two sets of RCAs already on the back. Good luck! Ramsee1
Old 06-19-01, 01:01 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be ok as long as you use a quality converter...THAT is the key.

For low frequency reproduction, it is even less of an issue.

I'd recommend either the Soundgate or Audiolink (in that order).

Todd M.
TM Engineering
http://www.tmengineering.net

Old 06-23-01, 10:59 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

Default great

Was able to install a nice line level converter, and a sealed box with 2 12" Xtant's, HOLY CRAP. Now my sub overpowers my system, but no fear I have a new amp going in for the speakers on Monday.
Old 01-24-05, 01:03 AM
sOaRaHh
Driver School Candidate

Hey, i just looked at the date and realised this post was made in 2001.

but I'll take a stab at it and ask has anyone else had a shot of this? or have any pictures?

I was thinking about getting my rear speakers and splitting the wires from 2 "channels" (mind the quotation marks) into 4 "channels" and connect it to a 4 channel amp, adding aftermarket 6 x 9's and a 12" subwoofer which is all powered up via the amp.

is this possible? or will this cause problems?
Old 01-24-05, 06:24 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, this is a 4-yr old thread that you pulled up , and you're bringing up a topic that's been discussed numerous times in the past. Plus for your questions, you should post them up in the Lexus A/V sub-forum.

Although it's nice to see that you utilized the search engine, I'm going to have to close this thread out of courtesy

- Your ES moderator