ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

lower my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05 | 06:13 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Tein SS does not include upper mounts. JIC is crap, too stiff, not for U.S. streets. RSport? Right.

Best option for you would be:

Eibach springs - mild lowering, about 1" all around. You don't want to slam a Lexus, that's just ghey.

KYB GR-2 struts if you want comfort, or Tokico for a little more sporty feel.

Shox.com has a great selection.

Coilover is an overkill, are you taking your ES to the track? I don't think so.

Eibach + KYB will only run you less than $500. But hey, it's your car, do whatever you want.

Last edited by WIMPWGN; 04-27-05 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-27-05 | 06:17 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
Tein SS does not include upper mounts. JIC is crap, too stiff, not for U.S. streets. RSport? Right.

it's Kspot

www.ksportusa.com
Attached Thumbnails lower my car-ksporttttt.jpg  
Old 04-27-05 | 06:28 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

wow, 7f/5r spring rate will make your teeth fall off. 15f/9r for SC430? When did SC430 become a race car?

FYI: 7kg/mm = 391lb/in, 5kg/mm = 279 lb/in

Stock suspension is no more than 180lb front 120 lb back. (I'm guessing)

For comparision, WRX STi has about 230lb front and 180lb back.
Old 04-27-05 | 06:42 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

all my teeth are still in place....look------

FYI....my car rides awesome...and its slammed.... I had someone in the car today and he said it rode just like his 00 LS400
Old 04-27-05 | 07:20 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Well, that's not what the spec says.

Anyways, I provided my suggestion and opinion, take it or not is up to you. Your car, not mine. All I know is that I won't have these KSport on my car.
Old 04-28-05 | 08:33 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
Well, that's not what the spec says.

Anyways, I provided my suggestion and opinion, take it or not is up to you. Your car, not mine. All I know is that I won't have these KSport on my car.
if you're scared get a dog
Old 04-28-05 | 08:55 AM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Or a cat, el gato.
Old 04-28-05 | 09:14 AM
johnnyt
Pole Position

wimpwgn, what would you recomend then to get rid of the front fender gap?
Old 04-28-05 | 09:43 AM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

I have a 95ES so I don't know how much front fender gap exactly does a 97 have. In my experience, the 95 has a bigger gap in the front than rear, if it's the same case for a 97, and you want to eliminate the gap, there are two ways to achieve this.

1. I would choose an aftermarket spring that drops the front a little more than the rear. H&R drops front 1.4" rear 1.3", which is not a big difference. Most other lowering springs drop the car evenly.
2. I would choose Ground Control coilover sleeve, which gives you the adjustability in ride height to exactly what you want. The drawback is cost. Where most aftermarket lowering springs cost between $200-$250, GC sleeves normally cost $400. But the advantage is more than simply ride height adjustment. When you order GC, you can specify any spring rate you want and they will customize it for you. I also own a Subaru WRX and GC is very popular for that car since WRX also has a larger front fender gap than the rear.

So, if you are very **** about the fender gap, I would choose GC if you don't mind spending $150 more. Also, when shopping for springs, make sure the spring rate isn't too stiff. Not only you will suffer from poor ride quality, the life of struts will decrease as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-05 | 09:50 AM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Personally, when my stock struts go out in the future, I plan to change them to either Bilsteins or KYBs with Eibach springs. I may also switch out the stock 15's for some late model ES or GS 16's with better tires. I'm more about handling than appearance. I could care less about fender gap as long as the car improves in handling.
Old 04-28-05 | 12:37 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

WHAT

A true full adjustable coilover conversion is by far one of the best mods you will ever do.....this is true driving performance mod..... it is uncomprable....

been done had, springs(H&R), cut oem, airstruts, and now...the coilovers...

Ground Control are just sleeves, how and why would you even compare? also they are known to have the spring slip off the perch...very dangerous

OH another plus...true coilover conversion offers dampening adjustment and camber control A big plus.

Last edited by GATO; 04-28-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-28-05 | 01:16 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

KYB AGX and Koni's are adjustable as well. Ground control has been proven to be reliable, I have never heard anything bad about it. Ground control + struts = coilover. All MacPherson suspension are coil-over systems, just without adjustability. Adjustable suspension systems are only beneficial for track use (lower the car for track, raise it for street). For camber adjustment you can get camber plates. And again, why would you need adjustable damper for Lexus again?

Moreover, almost all reputable coilover systems are rebuildable, offers different spring rates, not 1 year warranty offered by KSport, or whatever it is. KYB and Koni both have life time warranty on their struts.

If someone insist on getting coilovers, I suggest getting a reputable set such as Tein, Bilstein PSS9, etc. Not some no name brand.

I don't want to argue with you el gato. You are obviously affiliated with KSport one way or another.
Old 04-28-05 | 01:17 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Also, no such thing as air struts, only air springs.

When is the last time you need to set -2deg camber on a Lexus? Camber adjustment is useless.

Last edited by WIMPWGN; 04-28-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-28-05 | 01:18 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

And do not question Ground control, question your own knowledge of coilover systems.
Old 04-28-05 | 01:40 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

ok ok calm down there lil buddy. dont be a suspension snob.

Quick Reply: lower my car