ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just got some SC430 Wheels for $100!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05 | 01:59 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

bump...please help me!!!
Old 04-28-05 | 04:24 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Hey tiguy99 I do have spacers in the rear not the front. Not sure what exact size they are (mechanic put them on) but they are really thin, I think they are thinner than 3/6 (5mm). Also what size are your tires? My tires are 225/40/18, im not sure if the oem tires are different.
Also, I reformatted my computer and don't have any programs to resize pics yet and my pics are too big for this site I'll take some with my cam phone, post later.
Old 04-28-05 | 04:51 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks. how much did it cost for the spacers? Maybe I can grab some from home depot or autozone etc. The tires are the OEM Dunlop 245/40/18 tires Runflats I believe. Dang I need lug nuts too...How much did it cost to have them installed? I'm gonna do this with the new shocks and struts I just got so the ride will be smoother and more newlike than it is now.
Old 04-28-05 | 04:55 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Mounted and balance usually runs about 20 a tire but I get it for free . I think I might have extra nuts for the caps. Not sure though. I would check on eBay or even call the dealer to see what price they give you.
Old 04-29-05 | 06:55 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Nice buy. You will need 5mm wheel spacers for the rear only. The place that installed the rims for me threw in the spacers for free, so they must not be that expensive.

Tire size is 225/40/18, the 245/40/18 will throw the spedo off 2.2% so when your going 60mph you spedo will read 61.3mph, which isnt much but the 225/40/18 keep the spedo at 0.3% fast so when your going 60 your actually going 59.8mph.

Hey lexster you have these rims also on a 97-00 model? Im getting some vibrations at around 60mph you get em? Im not sure if one of my wheels is off balance or if the spacers are causing the problem. It real annoying. thanks.

Just an FYI these rims are heavy as **** and slow the acceleration down. You eat more brake with the heavy rims also, Im thinking about switching them up or maybe going with a big brake set-up if I can get the vibration to go away. Cant stand the vibration.

But let me tell you the rims do look sweet and I get tons of complements on my ride everywhere I go. The wide tires and lowering make the ride stick to the road like glue, It handles so nice.

Post some pics when you get those babies mounted up.

Almost forgot, you can use your stock lugs
Old 04-29-05 | 11:11 AM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixsun79
Hey lexster you have these rims also on a 97-00 model? Im getting some vibrations at around 60mph you get em? Im not sure if one of my wheels is off balance or if the spacers are causing the problem. It real annoying. thanks.

Almost forgot, you can use your stock lugs
Yeah, I was getting a vibration feeling at about 80+. I took my car in to get new tires and it turns out that 3 of my rims were bent. One was really bad, I guess with the weight of the car and all the pot holes it was bound to happen.
I have replaced all 4 rims and the vibration has stopped, it rides sweeter than ever. When was the last time you got your rims balanced? I would go from there and find out if you have any bent rims. I have heard that it’s a common problem on the sc rims. I'm going to be extra careful with my new ones.
I think tiguy99 bought the rims and center caps separate, so he is missing the 10 screws that each rims needs. I don’t’ think he is missing lug nuts.
Old 04-29-05 | 11:12 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks Nixsun. So you get vibrations at 60MPH? Have you got your wheels aligned lately or a tire balance? If so, then can a different size spacer be used? What other speeds do you notice this vibration? How bad is it? What parts of the car vibrate? Is it only the steering wheel, the chassis? what? Sorry afor all the questions. If its really bad then I won't install the wheels. I'll just sell them instead and buy something else down the line. Frankwhite also has a 97-99 ES with these same wheels. Lets ask him about this too. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 04-29-05 | 12:15 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Its just a mild vibration a little after 55mph to about 60mph then its gone. The vibration is in the steering wheel. It has been happening since I had the rims first installed. I got everything done at the same time meaning rims and lowering. Then I had the car aligned. The rims came separate with no tires, had to have 4 tires mounted and balanced.

I havnt taken the rims off the car for a while, so Im not sure if they are bent or not. But the vibration has been there since day 1 of the install. Im hoping that the rims were balanced without the center caps on and maybe for some strange reason the center caps are causing the problem. What I will try this weekend is I will take all the center caps off and see if the vibration is still there. If it is then I just might be selling my SC430 wheels and going with a set of rims that do not require wheel spacers. I have heard that the spacers might be the cause to this problem.

anyone drop a PM to frankwhite?
Old 04-29-05 | 12:27 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

No but I will though. Does he still come on here?
Old 05-02-05 | 07:24 AM
aznxteddy
Rookie

hey tiguy99,have you got your new rims on yet? how is it.. i was thinking about getting them too, but i want to see how they look without the center cap.
Old 05-03-05 | 11:18 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznxteddy
hey tiguy99,have you got your new rims on yet? how is it.. i was thinking about getting them too, but i want to see how they look without the center cap.
No not yet. I'm waiting on the struts which the seller says should be here by Friday. Then I'm going to have them all installed together with the solara strut bar I just got as well. I've actually got the center caps. I had them for like 2-3 months now. They'll be installed as well when the wheels get put onso I don't know if I'll have pics of when the rims are on without them I can try and like snap some before the caps are installed.

SIDENOTE::::: Hey guys I spoke with Frankwhite. His car doesn't vibrate at any speed with his SC430 wheels on his ES300. He says he just got the new spoke center caps for the SC430 rims and loves them. I'm gonna pick up a set over the summer and toss them on in the fall
Old 05-04-05 | 04:53 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Ya, I got my vibration fixed. One of my tires was off balance, and I also had a new tire on my passanger front with no tread wear. It rides nice now, sorry for the panic.
Old 05-04-05 | 09:13 AM
aznxteddy
Rookie

good to hear everyone doesnt have the vibration problems!

hey wats the screw pattern on those center caps, i read that you need a special tool to remove them? is there anything comparable that you can use?
Old 05-04-05 | 09:54 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

You just need a 5mm allen wrench

I use a drill with the 5mm allen attachment. Makes it easy to clean the wheels.
Old 05-04-05 | 09:59 AM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Nixsun79 glad to hear it was just a balance issue. Just be careful of them pot holes, they are killer!!!

Quick Reply: Just got some SC430 Wheels for $100!