ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The wait is finally over!!!! Welcome the newest member of the SC430 wheel club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 06:55 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The wait is finally over!!!! Welcome the newest member of the SC430 wheel club!

Good evening fellas and women alike. After a long and exhausting day of assembling the pieces of a long but enjoyable puzzle, I'm proud to say I have officially joined the SC430 wheel club! On with the show

and finally

Wooooosaaahhhh!!!!!!!

Ok..now for the short write up on how all this happened.

As you know from my other thread, I was left on an adventure enroute to Pep Boys for my rim and tire installation. What occured on that trip left me both speechless and in short $581.43 (broker). Turns out that the 245/40/18 Dunlop Runflats I had were well let's just say flats after all. Two of the tires (1 I got already on one of the wheels and another I purchased in a set of two on Ebay from some guy) were busted and no good. One had 50% tread left and the other somewhere around 90-95%.

These Runflats must be the worst tires in the world because not only does everyone who has them in the SC430 section complain like hell but, upon removal, its said that the sidewalls are so hard that they can easily be damaged when taken off. Which is what happened with the previous sellers when they sold me the tires. Pep boys couldn't inflate one tire because there was a big crack in the sidewall and air kept streaming out while the other had a huge bubble.

All of this prompted me to purchase 4 of the proper size tires I need for this project. I got 4 decent 225/40/18 tires for my SC430 wheels and voila you have 1 Sexy Lex .

To make them fit properly, I ended up getting 5/16" washers for the rears and some for the front (which they said I didn't need).

I'm going back for the alignment in the morning. Lets just say out of the 5-6 hours it took them to install these wheels properly, almost half the time was spent taking off the bogus tires because they're a pain in the **** to remove but it was finally no match for my very determined mechanic whom I had to tip. Other than that, here are some pics I snapped tonight. I had a full load in my trunk so no the car isn't dropped yet. But soon will be
Phew!!! (Thought I'd never finish)
Mike
Old 05-08-05, 07:16 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Next up....1 sexy HID retrofit and I've got a surprise planned for those who believe good things come to you who wait
Old 05-08-05, 07:17 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job man, glad everything worked out.
Old 05-08-05, 07:22 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Quick question Nixsun, did you put spacers on the fronts too? I'm hearing a very faint hmm sound on the front left side like very faint. Could it be rubbing? I've got 2 spacers left that I can have placed on in the fronts in the morning when I head back up there to do the alignment
Old 05-09-05, 01:57 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those rims look sweet on the ES.
Old 05-09-05, 05:07 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

no spacers on the front.
Old 05-09-05, 06:03 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Good job man. I was waiting to see them on your car ever since you beat me to that auction
Old 05-09-05, 07:08 AM
aznxteddy
Rookie

nice!!

i guess the ebay seller included the 2 tires because he was too lazy to get them removed probably haha.. but glad to hear the 225s are just right!

can you get a shot from straight from the rear or front.. i kinda wanna see how wide the tires look
Old 05-09-05, 09:24 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO out of all Lexus models, the SC430 wheel looks the best on an ES. Ironic, ain't it?

Congrats on the install tiguy
Old 05-09-05, 01:21 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Default Huge Update!

Went back up there this morning for the alignment and to have them check out the noise. They did the alignment and put spacers on the front Boy was that a bad move. Not less than 5 mins later I had some serious vibrations at 60 MPH on the exrpressway. Also, my steering wheel pulled hard to the right. Needless to say I took the next exit and headed right back to pep boys. I had the alignment guy take off the spacers in the front and also check for any rubbing and to see what would cause the noise. Quickly we discovered that the cheap Pepboys brand H rated performance tire was the cause of the noise. They fitted my ES with a directional tire. The alignment guy said that no matter what, even with an alignment, if you have a directional tire, sometimes it may cause the car to drift to one side or another (bull***** IMO). Anyhow, I made them take off the tires and replace them with some all weather units they had in stock and almost 6 hours later here I am. I started my morning at 8:26am when I arrived at Pep Boys and left there at 2:10Pm. hmm what's wrong with that picture? All I know is that my car rides much better now. THe noise is gone. You can feel the difference between the stock ES300 wheels and the 18" SC430 OEM ones. ITs a tad bit more sporty ride but boy does the car look more sexier! I've already got 5 complements since yesterday. All from people I don't know. I'll have more pics up later this evening when I get off
Old 05-09-05, 02:57 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice.....very nice

a drop would be killer.

keep up the good work
Old 05-09-05, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Wow, what a story but the car looks GREAT! Nice flush fit
Old 05-09-05, 03:40 PM
Bluesman
Driver

It looks good.
Old 05-09-05, 08:19 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixsun79
Nice job man, glad everything worked out.
Do you notice the car seems a tad bit heavier now? I drive a 99 with very nice acceleration on tap at any speed. Well that was with the old wheels. Now with these big boys on there it feels a little different. That could just be my mind playing tricks on me being that I'm just getting in the house after what I consider a verrryy long day. Nixsun, did you notice any pros/cons since your wheel update?
Old 05-09-05, 09:06 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are pretty big, thick wheels... I'd assume that an extra 2" on the wheel with a lot more material to it would add some weight.

Quick Reply: The wait is finally over!!!! Welcome the newest member of the SC430 wheel club!