ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cupholder almost got me killed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 05:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope this danger does not extend to other Lexus cars...
Old 05-23-05, 10:07 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
I hope this danger does not extend to other Lexus cars...
None that I'm aware of. The ES is the only Lexus vehicle I've been in that has this issue with it's cupholders, though I'm not sure about earlier year SC's or GS's. I know my dad's 99 & 06 GS's have nice ones, my cousin's IS300 has nice ones, all of my mom's RX's have had nice ones... and when i say "nice", i mean it doesn't throw your drink in your lap whenever you take a routine turn or come to a stop.
Old 05-24-05, 12:22 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me also.

I got a large coke from McDs and was going around a corner and woosh....they whole things all over the passenger seat! Needless to say the woman was not pleased with me when I returned and confessed (this is her car).

Cleaned up well though. Still, it is a minor but annoying problem in an otherwise awesomely reliable and well thought out car.
Old 05-25-05, 06:58 PM
Bmoney86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

This happened to me too!! Not as bad as clogging up the brake, but still requires cleanup everytime something spills. I have a 97 ES and now everytime I get drinks from a fast food place, I have to stuff about 3 napkins into the cupholder and then put the drink in. I found this to hold it enough so that I can drive as fast as I want. Water bottles just dont fit though.
Old 05-25-05, 09:37 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, sorry to hear about your near-mishap, but I think this is a bad Lexus design with almost ALL their models.
The other models suffer fromt the same ill-design issues.
Old 05-26-05, 10:00 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate to this issue as well. My 97 is terrible when it comes to holding a coffee mug or water bottle. I even tried buying one of those 'add-on' mug holders from WalMart but the whole thing is just too darn bulky and ugly to leave on permanently. It did work though with some slight tweaking

I still think it's terrible that a person can't enjoy their morning coffee while navigating through morning rush hour traffic
Old 05-26-05, 11:15 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Yeah... I just hope that the new IS has some decent cupholders in it. The current IS's aren't bad (lol I'd trade just for cupholders, isn't that sad?) so I'm hoping the new one's will be just as good, if not better. My dad's 06 GS seems to hold cups like the car holds the road So I got high hopes for the future
Old 05-27-05, 03:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I'm in an 01...

And yeah I usually grab the cup/bottle/can (etc) before i come to a stop, but this time I missed it. I still feel I shouldn't have to worry about that for the amount of money I paid for the car...

Edit: They seem to have fixed them for the later models. My mom has an 04 ES330 loaner right now (she blew a tire on the RX), so I tested it with the same bottle and I couldn't get it to fly out. I'm gonna look into this more tomorrow and see if I can maybe replace the springs in the expansion arms to increase tension, or put some sort of rubber or sandpaper on the bottom platform of the cupholder and see if that makes any bit of a difference.
That's one of my big complaints with my 01 ES as well......the cupholders btie bigtime!!! One of my only pet peeves with the car.