ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The slippery slope of ownership!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 08:05 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The slippery slope of ownership!!!

The '94 ES300 has been trouble free for 140,000 miles. Still on the original timing belt!
Still looks like new with it's pearl/silver two tone.
But now.
New wheel bearing two weeks ago. I wash it last weekend and find a wheel well full of grease from a CV boot breaking. I'll replace the axle myself this weekend.
Power steering is making noise off and on.
Good grief it's going to seed on me!!!

Later,
JU
Old 05-24-05, 07:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I'd seriously consider changing the timing belt along with the water pump ASAP! Don't say you haven't been warned. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-05, 08:48 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I'd seriously consider changing the timing belt along with the water pump ASAP! Don't say you haven't been warned. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly the timing belt should be changed every 90K miles. I've already changed mine twice. I have over 229K miles on my '96 ES 300 and I know I can go another 229K. My car runs great and I have no major problems. These cars will go and go.
Old 05-24-05, 12:43 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

It's normal wear and tear. Nothing to be upset about...
You should have inspected the CV joint boost more often.

The power steering noise is going to be from an aged, failing belt.
You seriously need to get the real maintinance done the car requires.

New timing belt, accessory belts, flush the transmission, drain the differential (refill both with synthetic). You probably still have 80% of the original brake fluid in the lines... That needs to be pumped out. Take a turkey baster and suck powersteering fluid out. Refill with your new synthetic transmission fluid (several times over the corse of a week to get the majority of the fluid out).

If you can't flush the transmission, you need to drain the pan & refill, drive around the block and do it atleast one more time. That changes more than half the fluid i the system. (I would do it three times if you haven't touched the transmission fluid in more than two years).

Flush the cooling system out, change the water pump.

Put the recommended amount of seafoam into the oil, (and the trans-tune for the transmission) use it to clean the intake track, and fuel system. It'll run a hell of a lot smoother when the seafoam busts the built up varnish from years of oil on the inside of the engine, and the massive carbon deposties the EGR system leaves.

Toyota designed the gen3 Camry to last 125,000 miles with no maintinance. It sounds like you've done no maintinance and got 140,000m out of it. I wouldn't complain...

When the transmissin is FLUSHED (NOT DRAINED). Make sure they clean the pan, and they CHANGE THE FILTER.

Want it to last?
1) Buy good acessory belts and replace the timing belt when they wear out. Change the water pump at least every other set of belts. There's only a $75 differance. It should be done every time!!!
2) Change the oil 5000-7500 miles, using a synthetic fluid.
3) Every OTHER oil change, drain the transmission pan (5 quarts) and add it back in the dip stick. (just like chainging oil...)
4) Inspect the CV boot joints every oil change.
5) Rotate the tires every oil change!!!! New tires ALWAYS go on the back axle, regardless of which set drives the car.
6) Cooling system should be drained every other year. (If nothing more than the radiator). If you don't live in an area where the fluid can freeze. You should run a 25-75% mix of anti-freeze / water. *NEVER* Interchange Toyota's red coolant, with anything else. It WILL quickly create a hard gell that can't be flushed out. (the inhibitor package doesn't last long for iron parts either, making it horrible for Toyota's iron block engines)

Do that and it'll last much longer than you want the car. I.E. Indefinately; minus typical wear and tear parts breaking.

Like the wheel bearing going bad. Oh well, it's 140,000 miles old, some ****'s bound to break!

Lastly, only use NGK, or Denso plugs. They're the only ones that run worth a crap in Toyota engine's. NGK 6779's cost $1, $ 1.50 a piece, and last atleast 10,000 miles.

Last edited by Pheonix; 05-24-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 07:29 PM
John U
Intermediate

Thanks for the input!
I'm installing a new axle this weekend myself, no rebuilts in the Mpls St.Paul area? ..5 day wait. Appointment made for the timing and accessory belts. The shop seems to think also that the belt is making the moaning.
I've alwayed changed Mobil 1 at 6,000 miles...uses no oil! Trans oil changed every 20,000 by dropping the plug and refilling. Just did the brake fluid flush when I did the brake job.
Every spring when I change over the snow tires on clear coated stock rims to the mag wheels and summer rubber, I clean the pads and paint the hubs and calipers for a clean & detailed look. It blows the minds of the mechanics at the alignment shop...(lifetime alignment contract)

Thanks,
JU