ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Type Antifreeze I Should Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 07:46 PM
golffnutt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type Antifreeze I Should Use

I am brand new to the forum so if I screw something up please be patient with me. I just bought a wonderful 1996 ES300 and want to do a coolant flush. The antifreeze in it now is a red color. Can anyone tell me what brand/type antifreeze I should use. Everything I have ever used before was green, ie Prestone. Where do you get red antifreeze and what brand should I buy. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 05-28-05, 08:06 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by golffnutt
I am brand new to the forum so if I screw something up please be patient with me. I just bought a wonderful 1996 ES300 and want to do a coolant flush. The antifreeze in it now is a red color. Can anyone tell me what brand/type antifreeze I should use. Everything I have ever used before was green, ie Prestone. Where do you get red antifreeze and what brand should I buy. Thank you very much for your help.
Toyota 'Long Life' coolant (Red) OR Toyota 'Super Long Life Coolant' (Pink in colour). Both available at your local Toyota or Lexus dealer. 50/50 mix with distilled water is what is generally suggested. Good Luck!
Old 05-28-05, 10:44 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

1) You're in Tennessee. As long as you drain the coolant every other year, Run a 1/3 ratio. No reason for 50% coolant in warm climates.(Anything as far south as Alabama, constitutes a 25% ratio)

never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never

Mix Toyota Red coolant with any other type of coolant. It will turn into an extremely hard gel. Completely clogging the entire system. As that is happening, the inhibitor packages in both antifreeze's go from protecting the metal parts, to eating anything ferrous. (Iron, tin, steel, ect) Very bad for the iron block 2vz-fe's and 3vz-fe's.

If yours comes with Toyota red in it, keep using Toyota red. If it comes with anything else, keep using it. Don't interchange them for any reason. You're better off running straight watter until you can get the correct stuff.
Old 05-29-05, 01:56 AM
golffnutt
Rookie

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the replies and advice, I willl definitely be sticking to Toyota red anitifreeze.
Old 05-29-05, 11:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Pheonix
1) You're in Tennessee. As long as you drain the coolant every other year, Run a 1/3 ratio. No reason for 50% coolant in warm climates.(Anything as far south as Alabama, constitutes a 25% ratio)

never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never

Mix Toyota Red coolant with any other type of coolant. It will turn into an extremely hard gel. Completely clogging the entire system. As that is happening, the inhibitor packages in both antifreeze's go from protecting the metal parts, to eating anything ferrous. (Iron, tin, steel, ect) Very bad for the iron block 2vz-fe's and 3vz-fe's.

If yours comes with Toyota red in it, keep using Toyota red. If it comes with anything else, keep using it. Don't interchange them for any reason. You're better off running straight watter until you can get the correct stuff.
Not if it's a 100% fluid change! As long as your mechanic does it properly, you can use the Pink Toyota coolant (which is good for 5 years) & you can get it in either straight coolant alone (and purchase distilled water) or 'pre-mixed' with distilled water in the correct mixture recommended by Toyota/Lexus.
Old 05-29-05, 12:04 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

True. it's also a pain in the *** to 100% flush an MZ-FE. They don't have all the orifaces the earlier v6 has you can flush and drain from. You need to take a pressure drop machine, or a hose pipe with a lot of time to flush the entire system. With some cleaner, you can flush for a long time and still get crap out of the system.

I don't trust Toyota's red fluid, for the same reason many mechanics don't trust GM's first go around with their orange organic coolant. (Well... That and it was very aggressive) Toyota claims it lasts much longer than the inhibitor package actually lasts! It starts to clog the system, while at the same time it eats away at the parts until something cracks, blows, or it'll be fine, and you get it on a pressure drop machine to change the fluid out. Pop! It blows up.

Whatever get's put in, stick with the 2 year changes no matter what you use.
Old 05-30-05, 07:34 AM
golffnutt
Rookie

Phoenix since you do not like the Toyota Red would you suggest I flush and refill with a different antifreeze. If so which antiffreeze should I refill with. Thank you.
Old 05-30-05, 08:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Phoenix since you do not like the Toyota Red would you suggest I flush and refill with a different antifreeze. If so which antiffreeze should I refill with. Thank you.
I would stick with a Toyota brand engine coolant personally......but it's your car. I know you should stay clear of Dex-Cool however from what others have told me. Good Luck!
Old 05-30-05, 10:01 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Eh... As long as you flush it out use whatever you want. Just don't let them mix without re-flushing it. Just remember:
1) 2 year coolant flushes
2) never put Toyota red into an iron block engine. (VZ blocks for this forum)

The inhibitor package doesn't protect iron parts for long. It's not jsut the water rusting the iron block, the chemical composition attack it also!
Old 05-30-05, 01:24 PM
golffnutt
Rookie

According to my manual my engine is Imz-fe, is this an iron engine?
Old 05-30-05, 01:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

What specific type of engine coolant does your owners manual recommend golf?
Old 05-30-05, 04:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Golf it's aluminium.
Old 05-30-05, 06:09 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Golf it's aluminium.
I concur!
Old 05-31-05, 06:59 AM
golffnutt
Rookie

Phoenix since you stated it is difficult to flush the MZ-FE engine could you, when you have time, send step by step instuctions to me on how to do it so that I make sure I get a COMPLETE flush and not leave some old fluid in the system. I would really appreciate this, again only when you have time, no hurry. Thank you.
Old 05-31-05, 07:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Phoenix since you stated it is difficult to flush the MZ-FE engine could you, when you have time, send step by step instuctions to me on how to do it so that I make sure I get a COMPLETE flush and not leave some old fluid in the system. I would really appreciate this, again only when you have time, no hurry. Thank you.
Try doing a search on these forums on the subject & you also might have some luck on www.lexusownersclub.com I'm sure that topic has been covered. Just type in coolant flush or engine coolant flush. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Type Antifreeze I Should Use