ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES Security

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 07:36 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ES Security

I know this belongs in the Security sub-forum - but I posted this there and got 4 views and NO response for a week.....

"Yes...I know there are a dozen plus posts (as noted by DaveGS4 in a recent one) about alarm recommendations, but they all seem to revolve around cool mods and adding **** like changing air pressure to lower your ride remotely when the chicks walk by....

Here's my deal....my gold old plain '94 ES300 (purchased 03/05) and I'm not sure if it has security or not. There's a little red light by the windshield in the center of the dash - which usually indicates the presence of an alarm - but I've never seen it on. My doors lock/unlock with my key (no fob), but even when it's locked I can open the trunk with the key - a no alarm sounds.

Now, my key battery seems to be on it's last legs (doubt ever replaced in the 11 years the ES has been around) - I saw in a thread somewhere that the dealer would replace it free (but do I still get a loaner ?)....but I'm thinking I'd actually like an alarm.

I don't need autostart, auto windows, auto seat warming (I live in California for cryin out loud), auto lowering , proximity sensors, LCDs, or anything that calls my cell phone to tell me that there's a strange dude looking at her. I'm not pokin fun of the folks with all these options, but most have spent more on mods than I did on the whole ES to begin with!

All I want is basic alarm with keyless entry, remote trunk release, maybe a motion sensor (but need to be able to adjust to minimize false alarms)....

Suggestions?

Also looking for a recommended installer in the Orange County, CA area (preferably south county / Irvine area)....

HELP!"
Old 06-16-05, 09:59 AM
Megatron
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you test your alarm?

Have you tested your alarm? lock all your doors. Leave a windown open and unlock it from inside it should go off. If that does work when you go to start your car it wont start. You have to put your key in the door lock and unlock it to reset the system. If you are able to lock your doors from the remote, you should hear a chirping sound. If not check the volume for your remote. It is on the left side right by your sterring wheel. U will see a **** where u can lower or higher the volume. mine is a 96 es300 I believe it is the same. If your remote and alarm work I would just keep the stock alarm sys!
Old 06-16-05, 11:05 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Went out a few minutes ago....

Unlocked with key (double beep), window down, closed door, locked with key (single beep)....

Opened front door from inside - no alarm sounds
Old 06-16-05, 11:31 AM
Megatron
Driver School Candidate

Default check your fuses

Maybe your alarm does not sound because of a burnt fuse. After opening the door from inside did u try to start the car? did you open the door from inside or the outside handle?
Old 06-16-05, 01:09 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get the viper 791xv.. its a very versatile alarm system.. its about $250 - $300 including install but you can have pretty much any option you want added on.. even if you just want keyless entry and pop trunk it wont crap out on you like cheaper imitations. if you want window rolldown, autostart, air suspension controls added, it can be done later on.
Old 06-16-05, 01:26 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HoeBag
get the viper 791xv.. its a very versatile alarm system.. its about $250 - $300 including install but you can have pretty much any option you want added on.. even if you just want keyless entry and pop trunk it wont crap out on you like cheaper imitations. if you want window rolldown, autostart, air suspension controls added, it can be done later on.
HoeBag, how much would that run with autostart and window rolldowns?
Old 06-17-05, 12:13 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Megatron
Maybe your alarm does not sound because of a burnt fuse. After opening the door from inside did u try to start the car? did you open the door from inside or the outside handle?
I opened it with the key button, driver window down, locked with key button, reached in and unlocked driver door manually, opened door, started car.

No alarm...no nothing...no problem starting it.

Seems like the Viper HoeBag is recommending is the alarm of choice....does anyone have a recommended installer? Am I safe at a BestBuy/GoodGuys/Al&Eds type place or no??
Old 06-20-05, 09:27 PM
Megatron
Driver School Candidate

Default Alarm

I honestly don't know about those best buy type places, I would think they are good as the person doing the install, like how much experience they have and all!