ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 12:06 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Hey everyone.... I have a question..

Is it just my car (92), or do all of the older ES's have RIDICULOUSLY dim headlights..... the halogen low-beams on the RX illuminate about just as well if not a little better than the HIGH-BEAMS on our ES.

Does anyone have bulb recommendations for the low beams?? I don't neccesarily need anything fancy or cool looking, just something brighter.

Thanks in advance.

-Faraaz
Old 06-19-05, 12:36 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try cleaning the headlight first. Get a bottle of "meguiars plastix", i believe it's called, and removed your headlights (if that makes it easier) and start cleaning. 13 years of dirt and debri isn't doing much for your head lights.

People say sylvania silverstars work pretty well. I'm had their H3 fog lights before, they worked pretty well for me.
Old 06-19-05, 01:03 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight brightness

Faraaz, what you might be seeing is that the RX is higher off the road, and your headlights might be misaligned.

At www.sylvania.com,

LOW HIGH FOG
92ES300 9006 9005 H3
00RX300 9006 9005 9006

The only difference here is the fog lights, and the H3 can actually put out more lumens than a 9006.

If you want to buy something that will increasse the visibility at night, I would suggest Sylvania Silverstars (around $35/pair).

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ar/default.htm

Another brand suggestion is PIAA, , albeit slightly more expensive, but may last longer than the Silverstars(?).

Whatever you do, do not get a no-name brand or bulb that draws more current than factory spec or you risk burning the wiring.
Old 06-19-05, 03:06 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

I can agree with that statement of not getting a no name bilb. I got some before and they absolutely looked great. But a few weeks later, the light was not working and I went to replace the bulb and come to find, the bulb receptacle and the wires were burnt. Not too hard of a job to replace but unless you want to keep going to lexus and paying 25 for a new set, just get some silverstars. That is what I have in mine.
Old 06-19-05, 03:25 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're going to have to clean them buddy! THirteen years of sitting in the sun and moisture from the elements have left your projector lenses dim with a slight film on top of them. What you're going to have to do is open your lenses up and clean the glass projector lenses with a (streakless) glass cleaner.

Next, follow up with the Meguires clear plastic lense cleaner and then the polish on the plastic clear lenses of your headlamp. Finally clear those amber corners while you've got your lamps open and then close it all back up by reversing the process to open them in the first place.

Trust me, this will fix your problem. WHen I had my 95, I noticed the glass projector lenses were like hazy yellowish until I cleaned them with the above method and I gained like 40-50% more light. Then I got bored and installed some HID projectors and never looked back
Old 06-19-05, 05:45 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

I've noticed the same with my headlights and I thought they are just too dim and that I need to get a HID kit for the car for safety reasons. I have the Silverstars and didn't notice much of a good change. The light is for sure whiter though which is nice.

Now you talk about having the clean the projector part it gets me worried.
Old 06-19-05, 06:39 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok i had the exact same issue its a combo of 3 problems with your car.

1.) make sure your headlights are aligned properly for your driving. It took me 6 months of constant driving and adjustment( my tip is to keep a 10mm socket and ratchet in your car and drive at night on pitch black streets) also make sure you arent blinding other drivers....but i wouldnt pay to much attention to the level indicator on the light itself. rarely have i seen that be much help.
2.) Bulbs: sometimes our style of bulb goes out but usually they just dimm. I switched from a normal pair of sylvanias to an ultra white.....and as of last week to the Silverstars. Ive had many cars with different style headlamps. And i like the silver stars the best(well until my HID retrofit is complete)
3.) hazy lenses. I use that mcguires Plastixs(found at checkers auto parts) and it did fairly well. but i now use the turtle wax rubbing compound then i use the plastix. that helps considerably.

best of luck with your car. dont get frustrated. these early model es's need some TLC but i love the headlamps on them when they are all detailed and adjusted correctly.
Old 06-19-05, 09:38 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeh.. i have heard great things about sliverstar.. but just haven't try them myself... i also seen CL members putting the highbean bolt in as the lowbean.. 9006(low bean), 9005(head bean). Lexbox. done it.... all you need is reshape the input plastic to fit the lowbean.. i think the different of that 10Watt output that little more power you wanting..

Hey, 3rdElement.. got the stickers already???
Old 06-19-05, 10:09 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

highly recommend the silverstars! cant say that enough
SILVERSTARS

and yeah i got one silver sticker in the mail. i took some pics tonight. matches nicely(now just gotta get one more for the drivers side)

thanks again!
`R

Last edited by 3rdelement; 06-20-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-19-05, 10:38 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT.. sorry i couldn't send you both.. i needed to use one for my driverside door .. can't wait for those pics..
Old 06-20-05, 05:41 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

Wow nice aiming. The Silverstars can really do that eh? I'd better go try aiming my headlights a little higher now. That may just have been the problem. Always though we needed to have bubble at least close to where it should be.
Old 06-21-05, 08:21 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

yeah love the cutoff on those.

post pics when you get yours all hooked up! Good luck!
Old 06-21-05, 10:54 AM
Spyder187
Rookie

Just one question though, is the adjustment for the headlights is that long, thin cylindrical thing that sticks out with the hex head and a screw driver inset on the tip?

At the base of it, I see the letters HB3 and the adjustment moves very slowly like you need to turn the thing quite a bit to see a difference eh?
...................................................................____
_____________________________|.......|
_____________________________ .......|
...................................................................|___|

Next I'll have to find out somehow to aim the foglights but that'll be after my exams.

Edits: To get that picture up there. Reply was too fast but sounds about right. Thanks.

Last edited by Spyder187; 06-21-05 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 10:55 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

yeah there are 2 adjustments left/right and up and down.

they look like long hex bolt with a philips head on it. The key is to get it high enough that the beam stretches out but no to far that you start blinding drivers.
Old 10-10-05, 08:11 PM
ksbeachbum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
yeah there are 2 adjustments left/right and up and down.

they look like long hex bolt with a philips head on it. The key is to get it high enough that the beam stretches out but no to far that you start blinding drivers.
How do you know which one is up/down and which one is left/right???

Quick Reply: Headlights