ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Free Mod Series - Where's Part II ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05 | 10:21 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Default The Free Mod Series - Where's Part II ?

im smart sometimes. but doesnt 2 come between 1 and 3?

where did it go?
~R
Old 07-02-05 | 11:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

It was posted last year back here, disccused in several threads, and I didn't feel like re-posting it.

Toyota Nation is where I keep them up to date and add new ones. The only people that really get into modifying the v6's are v6 owners at TN, solara boards, and Toyota SUV/Truck people. No one in the ES world at that time was concerned with performance to any serious degree, 'cept sean and myself.

In a nutshell, it got edited as I tested dozens of different style air intakes on and off over a year.

Eventually the conclusion was reached that it is impossible to gain, or loose any measurable power by changing the intake on even highly modified stock bottom end - stock cam Toyota v6's. (That should be read as "you don't have a 300-340hp fully built N/A engine")

Said testing went from cheese holing the stock airbox, removing the SIR

custom CAI's - eventually it digressed into a study of how restrictive the large AFM was using an AFM bypass (think a very large vacuum leak, then re-tuning the AFM signal to where the car runs well again) -- which roughly halves the restriction caused by any air meter.

To simply running no filter at all.

No measurable amount of power was found to be gained or lost. Incidentally... The large AFM found on a 3vz-fe was found not to be restrictive, and will meter air accurately well past 300hp worth.

Currently, it's busy proving the fact that you can blow through (not suck through) a vane-flap Airflow Meter with a turbo acceptably well.

So here's part II in a nutshell...
Modify your intake on the basis of how much chrome you want in your engine bay, and what sound you want it to make, because you can't gain any power, or any performance from any intake modifications -- short of installing forced induction.

Last edited by Pheonix; 07-02-05 at 11:14 PM.