ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus can't even figure it out. (transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 04:26 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus can't even figure it out. (transmission)

I have posted earlier about this. My CEL and O/D light had been on for a while. I had the codes checked and it came up as shift solenoid A electrical. Well Lexus put a new solenoid in. Didn;t work. Then they said it was definitely the transmission in. Well then I paid them $2400 to put a transmission in. I finally get it back the day before I left for WV. On my way home from work my battery starts to go dead so I get a new one installed. Well under the hood, Lexus has busted a hole in my antifreeze reservoir, quite upset I call them and they tell me to bring it back up ther and they will put a new one on and they did. Well happy now I leave and proceed to go ahead and get gas. I start to pull across traffic and the darn thing doesn't want to go. Disgusted, I call them and they said to bring it up there and they gave me an '05 RX to drive to WV. About 2 days whrn I get back, they call and said that it wasn't acting up and that they drove it about 200 miles while I was gone. Well I go pick up the car and on my way back to SC, the car starts actind up and then the same lights come on so back I went. Did not shut the car off so they could see the lights on and finally it was driving sluggish for them. They have no idea what it is and it is really upsetting me. I have a loaner but I really want my car to be right. After all that $$$ it should drive like new. Nope. Guess money really can't solve your problems. Does ANYONE have any idea what might be wrong with my beloved car??? THANKS!!!
Old 07-07-05, 06:51 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I read all of that carefully.
Spell out your problem... What are the exact symptoms? "It just won't go" isn't a discription that anyone can work with. Describe everything you can that's wrong.

So why won't it go? Is the engine bogging down? If the engine is bogging down, does it loose power at any other time? Is the transmission slipping? Is the transmission giving you a higher gear than you requested?

Did not shut the car off so they could see the lights on and finally it was driving sluggish for them.
More than likely you are in a limp-mode due to whatever your main Engine, or transmission problem is.

Well under the hood, Lexus has busted a hole in my antifreeze reservoir
Look... I hate going behind & second guessing (not really).

What the 1994 A541-E factory repair manual has to say about your previous transmission problem.

Unless the transmission had unsaid non-related shift solenoid damage, there was no reason for them to touch the transmission itself at all. I read your previous thread (Sorry I didn't post in it).

What they should have done is check the connectors & wiring -> Check the TTCU (Toyota transmission control unit) is outputting the correct signal through the DLC3 port with the Toyota hand-held diagnostics tool -> replace the shift solenoid.

Loosing a shifting solenoid will not cause mechanical damage to the transmission. Line pressure is the same & the only differance is that the gears are limited to what can be switched by the functioning solenoid.

I really am sorry, cause had I seen this thread at that time I would have said something.

Lexus put a new solenoid in. Sure... Uh huh. When the TCU says there is a malfunction in the circuit, or the solenoid - there is a malfunction in the circuit, or the solenoid.

IMHO you just paid out your butt for things you didn't need.

I think one of two things happened:
1) They saw a problem with the connector, or wiring and wanted to take you for some money
2) They replaced the original solenoid, but the problem was the wiring. The wiring went unchecked (from lazyness) or they found the problem -> yet wanted to take you for more money.

Last edited by Pheonix; 07-07-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-08-05, 12:25 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really sorry to hear this.. yes, i do recall you had the whole tranny fix or rebuild/replaced. i think it's time to ask a good friend of yours to recommand a good autoshop.
Old 07-08-05, 05:46 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

And perhaps look into getting all that money refunded..
Old 07-08-05, 07:22 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The thing is, if I were right it wouldn't matter. All they have to do is turn around and come up with some hair brained reason that the transmission had other damage in it.
Old 07-08-05, 05:16 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

ok. When I said that it won't go, I was refering as it takes a long time to get up speed no matter how hard you press the gas pedal. It seemes to have slipped a time or two while driving also.
Sorry, I don't know what limp mode is. All I know is that it has been over three weeks without my car and I would like it back and would really like to know exactly what the hell is wrong with it. I told them to check the sensors and lexus said they did. I don't know. It has to be a sensor. If they have replaced the solenoid and now the transmission and the same problem exists..... UHHHH....it sounds like a sensor to me and I would like to have the $$$$ for all those unnecessary repairs back. I could have done so much with that money it's unbelieveable.
Old 07-08-05, 05:18 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Go to autozone and find the code<s> for the check lights. It's free.

Limp mode is when the ECU's return to ultra conservative programming, designed to get the car to a mechanic, and nothing else. There are various levels of how conservative it is.
Old 07-08-05, 05:24 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

I don't have my car right now. It's still at Lexus. They called to let me know that it will be at least Monday before they can get to it. In the mean time, I will throw some miles on the RX.. By the way, Would the codes be different than before? It still has the CEL and the o/d light on at the same time. I just hope this is all takien care of before next month before I leave again.
Old 07-08-05, 08:33 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The O/D light comes on when the transmission control unit has the problem.

If the ECU itself had a problem, you would just light the CEL.
Old 07-09-05, 10:00 AM
johnnyt
Pole Position

so did u actually need a new tranny? I think i might be just a sensor, I had a similar problem earlier this year and lexus couldn't figure it out for almost two weeks but somone on this board knew what the problem was without even lookin at it.
Old 07-09-05, 05:05 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry about your car man, that really sucks that it's acting up like that. Have you faught them for the refund yet? You oughta give that a try. if you can't, keep moving up the corporate ladder and someone is bound to care. For now, enjoy your 05 RX, i know i would.
Old 07-10-05, 08:53 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Phoenix, you hit the nail right on the head. thats exactly what i thought when i first read his post. glad i read the rest of the thread before i posted, cause i would have just repeated you LOL.

Bottom line bro, you got taken for a ride.
Old 07-10-05, 01:25 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

I am planning to get that money refunded. I really hope that there will be no problems since they seem like really nice people over there and they have helped me a lot along the way. My main point will be the fact that the transmission did not fix the problem and that there was no need for a new one to be put in since mine was fine after all. Oh yeah... Not a bro, or a man....I'm female. Just thought I'd say that but anyway, I really hope all this works out for me or else something's gonna give. Really... Just do the right thing and everyone will be happy. Right??? I wish I knew more about cars and stuff that pertains to them.
Old 07-10-05, 03:14 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Awsome.
Lot of female Camry on Toyota Nation if you want to talk to girls with Toyota / Lexi. Nearly twenty now if you want to be introduced. Just be careful...

Posting in TN's massive off-topic and saying you're a girl is an invitation for overly horney 13-17 year olds to hit on you in PM. LoL! What can you say... 30,000 members, you're gonna have some horney teenagers! ROTFLMAO!
Old 07-10-05, 03:17 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when it comes to faulty sensors or even a possibly bad transmission. I think you are in the same boat as most people(well besides pheonix cause he's a god) but hope things work out. Let us know what ends up happening(or even fixing the problem)

Quick Reply: Lexus can't even figure it out. (transmission)