ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Vibration from new Custom Front Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 04:46 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration from new Custom Front Y-Pipe

I just got the custom front y-pipe done, taking out the one with the flex pipe, and now I find that during idle and such more vibration is transmitted into the cabin. I think as time goes on this will get more and more annoying. The custom y-pipe cost me $200 Cdn, $228 after taxes.

When I asked the guy about the vibrations, he said that it's probably because we removed the flex pipe and that flex pipe acts to prevent the vibration from transmitting over to the main chassis. He quoted me $114 if I want to put some flex pipe into the custom y-pipe.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-12-05, 06:04 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

That guy is completely ripping you off on so many levels. Small flex sections on ebay for for $10-$20usd.
I don't know how convincing, and nasty you can be, but I would be having it fixed without any more money changing hands...

Show me pics of the y-pipe.
Old 07-12-05, 07:59 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey Spyder, feel any extra Power with that custom pipe??..
Old 07-13-05, 02:49 AM
Spyder187
Rookie

1993ES300x: Yeah I sort of feel more power. No clue whether it's just psychological. But the power seems to be felt in the engine shifting more smoothly and the engine revving much easier.

Pheonix: I'm not sure how to go about this in getting it done right by this guy. Should I just go back to OEM like find the part cheap and get that put in because I'm not sure how much of this vibration I can take. I do have pics of the part though. Is there a link you can show me to get the flex pipe at a good price?

Note: Beware 56k when clicking for large image, 1mb+ in size.

Edit: Also will the flex pipe fix the vibration? Because if it's not near 100% it will, I may look to alternatives then like just buying the oem replacement and chucking this y-pipe.

Last edited by Spyder187; 07-13-05 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 08:49 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what diameter pipe was used?
Old 07-13-05, 09:32 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

2.5" all the way baby!

Toyota / Lexus dealers will only sell the complete unit, and it' hella expencive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33633

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33633

Aparantly, the cheap flex guy apparantly doesn't do ebay anymore. But you need one of those so the pipe can flex.

Try to see if it is bumping anything first. When I built mine, I put it on the blue section. Then again, I made very sure it wouldn't bump anything when I was making mine LoL!!! The pink section is a good spot also.

Old 07-13-05, 10:22 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spyder.. tell that scumbag that you're give him the flex pipe and he should reattach it on your custom Y pipe for FREE... if he know what he's doing , he should of known without a flex pipe, your car will vibrate 100 time more than what his wife have under her pillow..

one more thing.. is the pipe and the labor of putting it on your car a total of 200bucks??
Old 07-13-05, 03:54 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

3rdelement: 2.25 inch pipe was used to build the thing.

Pheonix: So should I have the flex pipe in both areas or does it only need to be in one? I'll check and probably take a few photographs or it under the car to make sure it isn't bumping anything. Would you have any links to a 2.25 inch piping? Also it seems that these guys don't ship to Canada...

1993ES300x: Yeah it was the total of labour and parts for 200 bucks Canadian.
Old 07-13-05, 06:08 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The stock has it on both. I just used one, and it's fine - but the point is that you can't have it bumping into anything. Not just resting still, but take into consideration the engine rocks a little bit forewards and backwards.

For actual piping, go to a large home improvement store. Like a Lowes, or Home Depot. They will have mild steel piping up to 2 1/2" in 10' sections for around $10-$15usd. That's as good as you'll find with anything else. Otherwise try any autoparts store. All of our local stores carry the same mild steel the home improvement stores do, just cut down to about 3'.

For flexable pipe, I can't really help you. *Maybe* an autoparts store would have some. Exhaust shops would. Exhuast shops make the world go 'round. They don't normally mind people digging through their used cut-off crap. It saves them disposal work most of the time LoL!

Otherwise Google, "exhaust flex pipe".
Old 07-13-05, 09:09 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

Hey I'll get right onto finding some flex pipe. First though I have some pictures of one attachment to the frame (I think it's the frame part, kinda like goes across from the left front wheel to the right front wheel). 2 pictures I just took should show this well.

Is this attachment vital or should I try detaching it?

Lemme know. Thanks guys for all the support, I hope this vibration issue can be resolved soon.
Old 07-14-05, 07:26 AM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

hey all i got a custom 3 in catback on my 94 es300 w/ magnaflow street muffler it sounds ok pretty deep but its dead quiet at higher rpms like over 3k until i get up to 5 and my intake kicks in. my local exhaust place where i got mine done sux and the guy doesnt know crap. i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about what i could do to make it sound better. the guy also hollowed out my cat instead of putting on a high flow like i originally asked for. would adding a y pipe or something help me out i dont really know anything about this. thanx
Old 07-14-05, 09:28 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Spyder187 You can try unbolting it, and letting it just hang from the manifolds. That might get you some extra room. That does look a little close to me. Don't get the wrong impression... It's going to be close 'cause there's not exactly a ton of space! That just looks a little too close if you know what I mean.

diamondlex don't take this the wrong way... Are you 15? You realize that 3000rpm is a cruizing rpm, and nobody actually wants your exhaust to resonate their eyes out right? Anyway. You can have the resonator taken out. The exhaust will become louder, but the penalty is that it will become raspy. I would keep a resonator in it, get a high flow one. I.E. glasspack, turbo, or spiral flow. I'm a spiral fan.
Old 07-14-05, 10:07 AM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

actually im 17 biatch and wtf u talkin bout? cruzin at 3000 would mean im cruzin at 70 -75 homie... and i dont roll that fast where i live and if i cruise that fast it definately doesnt "resonate any eyes out." when im cruising (around 2400 rpms) its still not that loud. what im saying is, because of my exhaust setup, when im accelerating the exhaust gets SUPER quiet whenever i hit 3000 rpms and up before it shifts and gets loud again. if i got headers it would correct this but since i cant, i was just wondering if anybody had any other suggestions. how do u think a glasspack would sound on a v6 w/ 3" piping? my exhaust just aint right b/c it should obviously get louder as u accelerate and give it more gas while mine gets quieter and is loudest when cruising at a low rpm. i dont know what the problem is it could be the cat or somethin
Old 07-14-05, 12:18 PM
mscott
Driver School Candidate

ROTFLMAO! Yo, he don roll that fast...
Old 07-14-05, 12:43 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

lol sometimes...

Quick Reply: Vibration from new Custom Front Y-Pipe