ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

tail light replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 11:39 PM
lic2q
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail light replacement???

my 95ES has one of the tail light burned out and i couldn't figure out how to get to it. please advise. thanks.
Old 07-13-05, 01:14 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lic2q
my 95ES has one of the tail light burned out and i couldn't figure out how to get to it. please advise. thanks.
inner or outer?
Old 07-13-05, 09:44 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can wait till tomorrow Im posting up a DIY on clearing tail lights that will show uninstall of lights.

*hint*: if you want to try though. The entire tail light has to be removed for the 96
Old 07-13-05, 10:06 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
if you can wait till tomorrow Im posting up a DIY on clearing tail lights that will show uninstall of lights.

*hint*: if you want to try though. The entire tail light has to be removed for the 96
Please do that if you can. I'm sure many of our members here would appreciate another friendly DIY project
Old 07-13-05, 10:56 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Really just to change a bulb? You can't gain access from the trunk?
Old 07-13-05, 11:06 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

nope, that would be to easy.
Old 07-13-05, 11:24 AM
Stub333
Driver

One of mine blew so I figured I'd replace them all with fresh ones...once you unclip the carpet cover and pull it back you'll see the nuts that need to be removed, I think they are 8mm but dont quote me...but regardless remove the nuts and the tailight will pull right out, it is very straight foward. Then replace which bulbs need replacing, or do what I did and replace them all so everything is nice n' fresh.
Old 07-13-05, 11:33 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stub333
Then replace which bulbs need replacing, or do what I did and replace them all so everything is nice n' fresh.
Yea this is always a good idea.
Old 07-13-05, 01:14 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need a new taillight
Old 07-13-05, 01:38 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

good job hoebag! you should work at a lexus dealership!

replace the unit instead of replacing a cheap bulb, its the lexus way!
Old 07-13-05, 03:57 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good job hoebag! you should work at a lexus dealership!

replace the unit instead of replacing a cheap bulb, its the lexus way!

damn straight
Old 07-13-05, 09:09 PM
lic2q
Driver School Candidate

its the inner tail light that needs replacing. it would be great if i get DIY instructions. thanks.
Old 07-14-05, 09:12 AM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

Default replacing rear tailight bulb

i have a 94 so im not sure but ure replacement is probably the same as mine. ill try ito make this DIY simple enough for a 5 year old...

1) go to auto parts store get 3 bulbs for rear tailight (if u dont know what kind ask em theyll look it up). i reccomend replacing all the bulbs at once because usually when 1 goes, the rest will soon follow so u might as well replace them now
2) take out the three or 4 black plastic pins that are holding the carpet up against the trunk on the inside of the back of the trunk right in front of u. (loosen up the middle part of them a little bit with a screwdriver or ure fingernail and the middle might pop up but even if they dont just pull them out they will pop out. each one is 2 pieces and u gotta pull out both pieces.)
3) now pull down the carpet to access the bolts on the back behind the tail lights. (if u cant get the carpet down b/c its tight just pull up the trim piece that runs along the top of the edge that goes over the hook where the trunk latches shut. it takes some force but theyre just snaps and will pop back on)
4) there are several bolts but u only need to take off the 4 that are directly behind the tailight you're taking out. use a wrench or sockets if u have ones that are long enought to fit over the bolts. the 4 u need to take off kind of make a rectangle shape and are all on the back panel directly behind the light. it wont hurt to take off a couple wrong nuts so if the light doesnt pop out try taking off different ones.
5) on the outside of the car, grab the tailight and pull it straight out ( wires will still be connected so dont yank it, they're real short).
6) twist the black plastic part that that the wires go to and pull them out.
7) push down and turn to pop out the bulbs and them do the same to put in the new ones. (turn car on and check to make sure they work.)
8) screw everything back in and put the nuts back on and the carpet back up and ure good to go. (to put the black plastic screws back in the carpet u have to take each apart into the two pieces and first insert the holder and then the screw.)

If u cant understand this u might wana go to the dealership...
Old 07-14-05, 07:50 PM
lic2q
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=diamondlex]i have a 94 so im not sure but ure replacement is probably the same as mine. ill try ito make this DIY simple enough for a 5 year old...

thanks diamondlex. i think your instruction is simple enough for a 3 year old cause my wife always say i act like a 3 year old.
Old 07-15-05, 09:58 PM
lic2q
Driver School Candidate

thanks to all members' responses especially diamondlex' DIY instructions. as you guessed, its fixed. thanks.

Quick Reply: tail light replacement???