ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Broke my side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 05:33 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my side mirror

I'm hoping that the rest of my day goes better. I was on my way to work this morning and those construction guys just keep moving those orange barrels further and futher out into the driving lane. It's so bad now that you have to drive partially off of the road on the rumble strips of the breakdown lane. Anyway, I didn't realize that one was out even further and before you know it, I hit one of the barrels. Fortunately the mirror folded in and I only scuffed the case and broke the mirror. I got the part number from the Lexus dealer and ordered it through the Toyota dealer. Cheaper and quicker through the Toyota dealer. Oh well, it certainly could easily have been a headlight or something more expensive.
Old 07-19-05, 10:31 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

How much did you pay to Toyota for the part? Installation of the mirror assy should be a breeze since it's held onto to the body by 1 or 2 Philips screws
Old 07-19-05, 10:45 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

The installation will be a breeze especially since there is a body guy at work here. He'll do it for me at no cost.

The mirror cost $70.35 from the Toyota dealer and it will be in tomorrow. The Lexus dealer wanted more and said that it would take several days to get. He knew what I was up to when I asked for the part number, but he gave it to me anyway.
Old 07-19-05, 12:15 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70bucks for a mirror??.. what is the world coming to??.. can't you just get one of those from any auto glass shop?? i know it isn't some regular mirror. but still.. not for 70bucks... that's like....... 2 full tanks of gas.

i really meant 2.. sorry guys, typo. i'm from NYC also.. 2.51 for regular.. can't wait to get myself a Yamaha R6 or F4i ..

Last edited by 1993ES300x; 07-19-05 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 01:39 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
70bucks for a mirror??.. what is the world coming to??.. can't you just get one of those from any auto glass shop?? i know it isn't some regular mirror. but still.. not for 70bucks... that's like....... 3 full tanks of gas.
3 full tanks for 70 bucks?!!
Where I live(nyc), i couldn't get 2 full tanks with $70 bucks..
Heck, that wouldn't even fill up one tank on my H2.
Old 07-20-05, 09:23 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

I really don't think that a glass shop is going to carry the exact size and shape of mirror for the Lexus. I suppose that they could try to take the shattered one off and cut one to resemble the size, but I'd rather spend the money and have one that is correct. I use my ES to commute 110 miles a day on the interstate and would like to feel that I can trust the side mirror and not worry about anything.
Old 07-20-05, 10:06 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabeshell
I really don't think that a glass shop is going to carry the exact size and shape of mirror for the Lexus. I suppose that they could try to take the shattered one off and cut one to resemble the size, but I'd rather spend the money and have one that is correct. I use my ES to commute 110 miles a day on the interstate and would like to feel that I can trust the side mirror and not worry about anything.
hehe A glass company can get the exact parts for you, thats what they do. I dont have the model numbers on me. They are different for each side of the car. I think one is a 2452 and the other is a 5300 or something. I recently replaced both of mine for $25 per side because they were looking spotty. And they fit perfect. You dont even have to take off the mirror housing. The mirror is held on by double sided sticky tape. If you look real close at the outer edges of the mirror, you will notice there is a small rubber ring that also helps hold it in place.
1. Stick something very small behind it to pop it out of the rubber ring holder. The glass will more than likely start breaking because its stuck on with sticky tape. Remove all excess broken glass and sticky tape.
2. Now for the install. Put the replacement stick tape on the mirror. Line it up and press it on there real good. Done! At almost 150db inside the cabin, the side mirrors certainly shake, but they arent going anywhere. Maybe I should have written a guide. Oh well. gl

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-05, 11:21 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Default Dont Blow your money b/c some @ss at lexus said you had to replace the whole assembly

I had the same problem about 2months ago although i didnt hit a barrel, someone hit my 95 es.....

you can get the whole mirror assembly or just the glass at the lexus dealership......the glass mirror you just grab at the bottom half and pull torward and the top piece drops out once the bottom is unlatched......dont bother getting the whole assembly if you dont need to. I just bought any es300 side mirror on ebay for 40bucks and popped out the glass and replaced it into the housing on my car.

ps. dont for get to attach the harness and wires to the back of the replacement mirror u use so you can us the motor and heating feature!!

Hope this post helps ya!!

Brennan

Last edited by MoreMGD32; 07-21-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 12:10 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks. I'm sure that it won't be difficult to install. The mirror came in today so I just have to get over to pick it up. I just wish that I had thought about one of those glass replacement companies before I ordered an OEM.