ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES250 Audio Hardwire Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05 | 02:56 PM
TulsaHawk
Driver School Candidate

Default ES250 Audio Hardwire Help

The plug the lexus uses isnt even close to the one on the back of my Pioneer Super Tuner. Lexus seems to have a couple more wires than and the color matching is WAY off. My plea is to anyone that has ever known the feeling of a huge hole in the dash, no tunes, time wasting and thinking that you probably should have just left the damn thing alone and completely at a dead end. All I need is someone to tell me which color goes to what function in the lexus. Of which is a 1991 ES250. This car only exists when no parts are needed......
Please help
Just one damn diagrahm.....just a color key to an audio system so unique that I feel isolated from normal car owners. You should see my little face pressed up to the AutoZone window watching normal people buy normal parts for normal cars. All I get is a chuckle when from my mouth comes forth the word Lexus.

Last edited by TulsaHawk; 08-07-05 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong forum
Old 08-07-05 | 05:43 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Check with: www.crutchfield.com .......or give them a call....they might have the information, or proper cable you're looking for.
Old 08-07-05 | 06:26 PM
TulsaHawk
Driver School Candidate

Default Crutchfield

Already talked to them online. They cannot help if unit was not purchased from them. This is incredible.....Even in the Club Lexus midst an audio wiring diagram is unattainable for this car.
Have to do it the hard way. After I remove the amplifier, break out the D cell battery and go for it.
Old 08-07-05 | 07:18 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Try here.....They have downloadable wiring diagrams for the Lexus ES250 for $12.95.
http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/
Old 08-08-05 | 02:58 AM
TulsaHawk
Driver School Candidate

Default Paypal Only

Already been there as well. I will say I got prematurally optimistic for a short time, only to be PayPal'd and left for dead. Seems the fact that I USED to have a PayPal account didnt account for much. With only one way to pay, that way paypal and their dry deadend website in mind, my confidence of satisfaction was skeptical. Their generic 12.95 "you send money now" page sounded more like I was actually paying for them to actually look for it. Considering the invisibility and obscurity of this car when something is needed for it......Even among its experts.....I had flashes of a "paypal REFUND hodown" and added one more reason why it was wise to let paypal perform its deeds on others and not myself.
Old 08-08-05 | 07:42 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Unless I missed something, lemme clear this up so far. You removed the stock radio wiring harness and tried to plug it into your Pioneer SuperTuner? There is your first problem. You need an adapter to interface with the stock wiring setup. They should not be too difficult to find as we have refered many members to such an adapter. You can choose to hardwire it like myself but you have to run fresh speaker cable to every speaker in the car. 10ga speaker wire is much better for 200RMS per leg. pm me if you need anything stereo related
Old 08-20-05 | 05:02 AM
TulsaHawk
Driver School Candidate

Default Hardwire finally completed..feel like an expert now

I have to admit....without any diagrams, schematics or a single clue of color codes, thinking back on my decision to perform surgery on the likes of a Lexus audio system was an arrogant, overly ambitious, rare form of stupidity on a level thus far unknown by normal men with normal cars and normal egos. The incision that has to be made to perform this operation was so involved and stressful, that by the time I was through merely removing the old unit the sheer depth of the hole I just dug was overwhelming. The removal of the cherry wood panel that I know cost more than most people earn in month being the first order of business was rather intense. The visuals of snapping it into kindling repeatedly running through my head didnt help. But once successfully removed unharmed it was time to rut and root out the old in lew of the new, unaware of the surprises about to reveal themselves to my idiot ***. First the absolute "hoard" of wires useing every concievable combination of colors known to society as we know it. They even stepped off into the realm of the dreaded "pastel" coloring, encompasing up to 4 different shades of green including I believe to have been "sea mist" and "Lime" with a chartruese and plum colored lines to create a fresh yet bold rather "gay" motife. Wires that entered no less than 3 harness connections one color but exited another color. Two of them even reproduced more wires going in with 8 and coming out with 10 then splitting off in all directions, half of which lead straight to surprise number 2. A factory amplifier that was not part of the plan I had devised in my head. Up to 14 wires enter and only 7 come out the other end. Which brings us to our only bright spot thus far.....during the trip through the amplifier all the pastels and the multiple shades there in were transformed back to basic standard colors including red, black, gray, green and white. While being a welcomed and encouraging site to behold......I had no clue what each one represented after the changing, reproducing and consolidating they had to endure there was no telling what they did or where they were going.
Trusty ohm meter in hand I one by one tracked all but 2 of the seven coming out of the amplifier and all but 3 of the dozen coming from the old unit that decided to go elsewhere. After the cuttin, strippin and crimpin was through there I sat with 5 wires with no place to go. Several hours and much frustration and cursing later I had discovered that one went to the tail lights...one to the dash lights....one to the running or parking lights....one to the security system and one still yet to be determined. It is very weak power line that I believe I replaced by rerouting the tail, dash and parking lights power supply the way it should have been in the first damn place. I did not run new speaker wire.....sounds EXCELLANT....fit back together perfectly and when it was all said and done it looks like I knew what I was doing the whole time. But I and now you....know........the rest of the story.
Old 08-20-05 | 06:36 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I found your last post very entertaining, since I've been that frustrating route myself, with that maze of wires coming out of the harness. I ended up doing nothing though because at this point I was totally intimidated. Congratulations on your success.
Old 11-17-05 | 04:05 PM
lexusnewbe
Driver School Candidate

im in the SAME boat ... same car and dash head unit.... can SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME !!?? pm me please !!??
Old 11-17-05 | 04:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The Lexus ES250 Audio system is so incredibly complicated its not even funny. Dont Touch it, drop it right where you are at (put it back together if you can) and take it to a qualified audio installer and pay them the $100 to do it. TRUST ME ( I owned one of these cars and tore it apart and put it back together again more times than you car to know), dont try it. i never figured out what goes with what. The color coding has changed many time sin the last 15 years with toyota, so its likely whatever diagram you find wont match the colors, only the words. cuse blue might be R/F dash speaker on the harness for the stereo, but on the stereo harness, its probably L/R Deck Speaker.

but i can tell you that the only people that make a dash kit for it is Metra.

to give you an idea, there are WAYYYY morwe wires under that dash than are needed, half of them dont connect to much of anything, if anything at all. The Amp woring is strange too. oh and the 4 inch speakers in the dash...DONT blow those. The dash has to be removed for them to be replaced, which on that car, is likely to be a 6 hour job for REMOVAL only if you have never done an ES250 before.

and if you have the premium sound system...its worse. I hate to sound discouraging, but...dont do anything else to it. Oh, and dont hook your factory Amp up to your Aftermarket HU, you will blow the Ever loving **** out of your headunit.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-17-05 at 05:02 PM.