ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just a little ridiculous . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 07:44 PM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea from other posts I heard that these new engines (like the LS 430) have the capability of producing more H.P. but that they are waiting until other car companies come out with higher H.P. Doesn't this seem like a bad move? Shouldn't they be the "movers"? Also more standard features and options sooner i.e. The more expensive GS just now got the option of wood steering wheel

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I totally agree with you lexguynj. If Lexus doesn't bump up engine size or output, it surely won't sit well with the thousands of people that are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new ES. It would truly be sad if a base TL with a design that's a few years old could beat the new ES.
On another note, I think Lexus would have even greater market share if they went with all of their cars being RWD and not worrying about engine output. Why not just have all of the 6-cylinder engines cranking out big power? Same for the V8s. They would have very little to lose and a good bit of market share to gain. Imagine BMW performance with Lexus quality and luxury. Wishful thinking, I know, but Lexus has the power to make that happen. Especially since America is Lexus' largest market, and the American auto buyer is power-hungry. I don't think that Lexus would lose any potential customers if they saw that Lexus switched the ES to a larger engine and RWD. I know this would mean a LOT of money in terms of R&D for Toyota, especially since the ES and RX are based on the Camry (a RWD ES would differentiate itself even further from the Camry). I know FWD has an advantage in snow and maybe fuel economy, but it pretty much stops there. Lexus is just a little too conservative. Why not give larger engines to the ES, IS, and GS that make around 250HP and lots of torque? Why not give the V8s around 350HP? That would put Acura, Infiniti, and BMW (even Mercedes) in their place for a long time to come.
Old 07-08-01, 08:25 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mind18
Yea from other posts I heard that these new engines (like the LS 430) have the capability of producing more H.P. but that they are waiting until other car companies come out with higher H.P. Doesn't this seem like a bad move? Shouldn't they be the "movers"? Also more standard features and options sooner i.e. The more expensive GS just now got the option of wood steering wheel

I totally agree, why not be at the forefront of the game and one step ahead, instead of always trying to catch up. Catching up is always a losing battle no matter how good you think you did.

I have the GS430 with the Wood Steering wheel. At first, I thought it was cheesey, but it brings an additional touch of class to this already great car. The only problem is that the wood doesn't slide smoothly through your hands as an all leather steering wheel would do.
Old 07-10-01, 07:17 PM
ARIS300

Lightbulb

Go to:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All...ineup/Verossa/
Could be the new ES 300 !?!?