ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just a little ridiculous . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-01, 08:15 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I think Lexus is probably the most secretive auto maker on earth. I mean, come on! The new ES is slated for release on August 21 (just over six weeks away!!!) and still no official info/pics from Lexus! Not even any spy photos (at least I haven't seen any). I've seen the doctored photos and "final" sketches, but I'd like to see some REAL photos. My parents are probably going to buy the new ES when, or even IF , it comes out, and the sooner they do, the sooner I can get my mom's old Lex. I can't wait!
-
Adrian
Old 07-06-01, 09:13 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thanks. Any idea of price or engine output? Will the Levinson stereo be available?
If my parents buy it, I'll be happy 'cause I'll get to drive it sometimes, but also because I'll get my mom's ES250 (remember those)? I know it's not much compared any ES300, but I'm only 16 and it'll be my first car, and I couldn't ask for anything better. I have a few questions about the '250, but I don't know if anyone could answer them . . .
-
Adrian
Old 07-06-01, 11:31 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
...I'll get my mom's ES250 (remember those)? I know it's not much compared any ES300, but I'm only 16 and it'll be my first car, and I couldn't ask for anything better. I have a few questions about the '250, but I don't know if anyone could answer them . ..
ES250 is basically a Camry with spiffed up interior, more sound proofing and altered spring/shock rates. You can drop in most Camry mods.

What do you want to know?
Old 07-06-01, 01:22 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I'm not surprised to hear you say that the '250 is basically a Camry, etc., etc. When it came out, the automotive press hardly gave it a thought, dismissing it as another boxy, conservative, Japanese sedan . The glowing achievement was the LS400, and rightfully so.
Not to mention that the '250 had an unnaturally high-revving engine, which contributed to the car's demise.
I'm not looking to mod it any way because I think it is senseless (what I mean is that the '250 doesn't have much to work with). I've been working to try to save up money so I can buy a new car when I go to college (the 2002 Camrys look nice), so I won't be putting any money in the '250.

I just have a few questions (some opinion related):
1.) How many '250s were made?
2.) How many are on the road today?
3.) Do you think the original ES250s and LS400s will appreciate in value or become collector's items in the coming decades? Or do you think the '250 will fade into history and be regarded as a screw-up for all eternity? After all, they were Lexus' first cars and now Lexus is the biggest import luxury brand in America . . .
4.) I don't know about current models, but the ETC power button doesn't do anything (or so it seems) in the '250. By the way, I know the theory behind ETC and what it's supposed to do, but . . .
5.) Also, did the 2.5L V6 in the Camry that was being produced along side the '250 have the same engine specs/output?

Thanks for reading all this, and any responses would be helpful.
-
Adrian
Old 07-06-01, 03:22 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

What are the chances of them increasing displacement? It would make great sense, because they need to counter the new Infiniti 3.5, and, well, Acura's been with a 3.2 for some time now. Has Toyota/Lexus confirmed that it'll remain a 3.0? Are there any "reliable" reports on this matter? If the increased displacement doesn't happen (I hope this won't be the case), how much HP do you think we'll see? I heard around 220, but that won't sell (m)any cars . . .
-
Adrian
Old 07-07-01, 07:45 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I just have a few questions (some opinion related):
1.) How many '250s were made?
2.) How many are on the road today?

I have no idea. Perhaps edmunds.com or kbb.com can give you more info on this.

3.) Do you think the original ES250s and LS400s will appreciate in value or become collector's items in the coming decades? Or do you think the '250 will fade into history and be regarded as a screw-up for all eternity? After all, they were Lexus' first cars and now Lexus is the biggest import luxury brand in America . . .

I don't think that those that have seen a lot of mileage will increase in value in the next 10-15 years unless they've been restored and then the restoration $$ will probably not be recouped. Too many made. Maybe one that has been stored from delivery or barely driven and in cherry condition may be worth more someday. Predicting the "collectability" of limited-edition cars like Ferrari F40s is easy - predicting mass-produced cars is beyond me.

4.) I don't know about current models, but the ETC power button doesn't do anything (or so it seems) in the '250. By the way, I know the theory behind ETC and what it's supposed to do, but . .

It should raise the shift points a bit and be more willing to downshift. With that anemic 6 it could be working and just not having any seat-of-the-pants effect. If not, maybe the trans needs to be looked at. Have you (or a passenger) watched the tach carefully on WOT acceleration runs to see if the shift points were higher?

5.) Also, did the 2.5L V6 in the Camry that was being produced along side the '250 have the same engine specs/output?

I believe so, but again, check with edmunds or kbb.

Adrian
Old 07-07-01, 08:53 AM
tek619

2002 ES300 will come with the same engine but a new 5 spd tranny
Old 07-07-01, 09:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Are you kidding?!?! By saying "the same engine" are you saying there won't even be significant increase in HP or torque? If that's the case, they need to take the bongs away from the people at Lexus America and put them in rehab or a looney bin.
-
Adrian
PS- Does anybody know the max. HP/torque the current 3.0 can produce? I would think it's good for at least 250HP and at least 240 lb/ft . . .
Old 07-07-01, 12:52 PM
tek619

2001 ES300 engine output:
210 HP-220ft/lb

Adrian,
Have you ever driven the 2001 ES300?
Why would you want more H/P?
If you want more power, maybe you should look at a GS300.
Old 07-07-01, 01:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

No, I've haven't driven a 2001 ES, but I'm sure they're plenty quick. I know they weren't designed to be race cars. Anyhow, my parents are going to be the ones buying it, so I'm just trying to help them out by finding out as much information as possible (since no "official" info is available). Don't the ES and GS300 have virtually the same 0-60 times anyway? I was just curious about the HP/torque because Acura already has them beat and the new I35 will also have much more power, so I don't know if not increasing displacement/output in the 02' ES will be a good marketing decision . . .
Old 07-08-01, 06:29 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I am so happy with my 2001 GS430, that I too am waiting to help my mom in purchasing her next car, which will either be the new 2002 ES or RX300. I know the RX will not be revamped for another year or two, however the ES is going to be changed this fall and the problem is LEXUS doesn't give us anything to go on, so we just have to wait.

Based on the competition out there, they would have to bump up the power on this model or it will just look underpowered and underequipped. It has to at least beat the 225HP base TL.

The Styling will change too and I hope for the better. The ES should have a sportier package version, like all it's competitor's offer. I still don't think the IS300 is in this class. It's one step below and too small.

So we all still have to be patient and see what comes up, hopefully soon!
Old 07-08-01, 07:49 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I totally agree with you lexguynj. If Lexus doesn't bump up engine size or output, it surely won't sit well with the thousands of people that are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new ES. It would truly be sad if a base TL with a design that's a few years old could beat the new ES.
On another note, I think Lexus would have even greater market share if they went with all of their cars being RWD and not worrying about engine output. Why not just have all of the 6-cylinder engines cranking out big power? Same for the V8s. They would have very little to lose and a good bit of market share to gain. Imagine BMW performance with Lexus quality and luxury. Wishful thinking, I know, but Lexus has the power to make that happen. Especially since America is Lexus' largest market, and the American auto buyer is power-hungry. I don't think that Lexus would lose any potential customers if they saw that Lexus switched the ES to a larger engine and RWD. I know this would mean a LOT of money in terms of R&D for Toyota, especially since the ES and RX are based on the Camry (a RWD ES would differentiate itself even further from the Camry). I know FWD has an advantage in snow and maybe fuel economy, but it pretty much stops there. Lexus is just a little too conservative. Why not give larger engines to the ES, IS, and GS that make around 250HP and lots of torque? Why not give the V8s around 350HP? That would put Acura, Infiniti, and BMW (even Mercedes) in their place for a long time to come.
Old 07-08-01, 03:30 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Motor Trend reports that the V6 in the new Camry will have around 220HP. That's means around 240HP (at least) for the new ES .
Old 07-08-01, 05:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Actually, I tried the ETC power switch again tonight, and it seems to work. I was going about 35, then I turned ETC on and punched the gas. The tach flew to about 5K (normally it would just climb steadily) and kept going. I didn't want to blow the "anemic" engine, so I slacked off. It accelerated from 35 to fifty in about 2 seconds, although you couldn't feel it. The car is light years behind the ES300, but all of them feel the same at speed. If you closed your eyes, it would be difficult to tell if you were traveling 30 MPH or 65 MPH.
Old 07-08-01, 06:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

If you closed your eyes, it would be difficult to tell if you were traveling 30 MPH or 65 MPH.
Let's not try that though!

Quick Reply: Just a little ridiculous . . .