ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anyone had this happen to your stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 11:36 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone had this happen to your stereo?

It's becoming more and more difficult to read the radio stations displayed in my '97 ES300. Sort of like a lcd burn in.. Do I need to replace the WHOLE center consule? Also, noticed some of the climate control lights are off. Is that a separate replacement?
Old 09-12-05, 11:39 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

maybe the clear plastic is getting dull.
other then that, i don't know, my stock h/u was only in my car for about week.
Old 09-13-05, 06:02 AM
eman_be_lexin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stereo in my 97 is doing the same thing. It looks like the ink from the display is burning on the front cover. I am not going to mess with it until it gets to be unreadable though.
Old 09-13-05, 06:57 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eman_be_lexin
My stereo in my 97 is doing the same thing. It looks like the ink from the display is burning on the front cover. I am not going to mess with it until it gets to be unreadable though.
Yeah, odd thing though, sometimes it appears somewhat clear? I asked Lexus about it, they said 600 bones to put a new one in. I'm gonna sit tight too.

Any problems with the lights on your climate control?
Old 09-13-05, 10:38 AM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Yeah, thats a pretty common occurance. My LCD started to bleed at about 60k miles, use the search option in the upper left hand corner, and search burnt out lcd, or bleeding lcd and you will see and maybe even find a cheaper alternative
Old 09-13-05, 11:53 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redzeppeli
Yeah, thats a pretty common occurance. My LCD started to bleed at about 60k miles, use the search option in the upper left hand corner, and search burnt out lcd, or bleeding lcd and you will see and maybe even find a cheaper alternative
Wow, just at 60k miles? How old was the car when it happened? I'll search for alternatives, thanks!
Old 09-13-05, 02:00 PM
Bigrick
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it happened to me. Replaced LCD for under $100 with part from Pioneer. Check this out:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...opic=7149&st=0
Old 09-13-05, 03:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I had a girlfriend shove a foot through my stock radio when I, "struck a nerve".

http://taprecycling.net/
Good reputation - deals only with Toyota products.
In my dealing with them & pricing a few things, they're not out of line price wise.
I would e-mail, or call them on a used radio.
Old 09-13-05, 07:16 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I had a girlfriend shove a foot through my stock radio when I, "struck a nerve".

http://taprecycling.net/
Good reputation - deals only with Toyota products.
In my dealing with them & pricing a few things, they're not out of line price wise.
I would e-mail, or call them on a used radio.
HAHAHAHAHHA ME TOO!
Old 09-13-05, 09:16 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

I wonder if it has anything to do with the heat generated by the bulbs behind the display? If that's the case I won't ever have to worry about this problem afflicting my LCD! I replaced those ugly incandescents with stupid green plastic covers with blue LEDs... one of the best and cheapest mods I've done!

ES3, the burned-out bulbs in the climate control are a fairly easy fix because they each are in their own little holders that clip in and out. Do a search for this, as there have been at least one or two threads covering this very issue. These can also be replaced with LED's! (I did for mine, but I didn't realize that the bulbs behind the LCD are supplied with more power than those behind the buttons so my buttons are a little bit too dim ).
Old 09-13-05, 10:42 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
I wonder if it has anything to do with the heat generated by the bulbs behind the display? If that's the case I won't ever have to worry about this problem afflicting my LCD! I replaced those ugly incandescents with stupid green plastic covers with blue LEDs... one of the best and cheapest mods I've done!

ES3, the burned-out bulbs in the climate control are a fairly easy fix because they each are in their own little holders that clip in and out. Do a search for this, as there have been at least one or two threads covering this very issue. These can also be replaced with LED's! (I did for mine, but I didn't realize that the bulbs behind the LCD are supplied with more power than those behind the buttons so my buttons are a little bit too dim ).

Hey thanks a bunch, does this go for the lights underneath the trebble and bass adjusters as well?
Old 09-13-05, 10:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bigrick
Yeah, it happened to me. Replaced LCD for under $100 with part from Pioneer. Check this out:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...opic=7149&st=0

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-14-05, 08:42 AM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
Wow, just at 60k miles? How old was the car when it happened? I'll search for alternatives, thanks!
Yeah, it is a 97 now at 70k. Unfortunately it sat in the sun alot and i think that had something to do with it. Kinda like when calculator lcd's melt in the sun
Old 09-14-05, 09:14 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redzeppeli
Yeah, it is a 97 now at 70k. Unfortunately it sat in the sun alot and i think that had something to do with it. Kinda like when calculator lcd's melt in the sun

I hear ya. Wow, with only 70k, you've got half the mileage I've got on my '97! Impressive!
Old 09-14-05, 10:43 AM
eman_be_lexin
Driver School Candidate

Question

Ohaha_lex you said you replaced the led's with blue ones! Where did you get the led's from?I am tired of the green color too and will be replacing mine soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this happen to your stereo?