ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Ticking/Rattling under hood but not valves on car I bought

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 10:24 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED! Ticking/Rattling under hood but not valves on car I bought

Well, I came one step away from buying that ES300 I posted about yesterday. Sorry for making a new thread but I really need to get help fast about this ticking! The dealership agreed to take my offer ater about 20 minutes of negotiating, under the condition that I would not buy it if I found the noise to be a major problem. The salesman let me take the car to my house and to the bank to get the cash, when I stopped at three mechanics on the way for opinions.

The problem is that there is a medium volume ticking/rattling sound coming from under the hood. It's very noticable at idle with the hood open, otherwise not too noticable. It seems to be coming from the timing belt / left side of the engine area. It does not get noticably louder when the engine is reved.

The first mechanic said it was nothing... exhaust noise. The second isn't certified but a friend, he hooked up the stethiscope type thing and listened, said it was comming from the head, not the timing belt area. Third mechanic said it was comming from under the timing cover.

I told the Lexus dealer and they said their mechanics had notes that the power steering pump was bad and this was the noise.

Car drove great and had no problems otherwise... except it may need new motor mounts soon. I tested it up to 100 or so and smooth the entire way. As of now I returned the car but I have until the end of the day to let the salesman know if I change my mind....
Old 09-22-05, 10:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JJG2005
Well, I came one step away from buying that ES300 I posted about yesterday. Sorry for making a new thread but I really need to get help fast about this ticking! The dealership agreed to take my offer ater about 20 minutes of negotiating, under the condition that I would not buy it if I found the noise to be a major problem. The salesman let me take the car to my house and to the bank to get the cash, when I stopped at three mechanics on the way for opinions.

The problem is that there is a medium volume ticking/rattling sound coming from under the hood. It's very noticable at idle with the hood open, otherwise not too noticable. It seems to be coming from the timing belt / left side of the engine area. It does not get noticably louder when the engine is reved.

The first mechanic said it was nothing... exhaust noise. The second isn't certified but a friend, he hooked up the stethiscope type thing and listened, said it was comming from the head, not the timing belt area. Third mechanic said it was comming from under the timing cover.

I told the Lexus dealer and they said their mechanics had notes that the power steering pump was bad and this was the noise.

Car drove great and had no problems otherwise... except it may need new motor mounts soon. I tested it up to 100 or so and smooth the entire way. As of now I returned the car but I have until the end of the day to let the salesman know if I change my mind....
How many miles on the car & do you have all service history? If the dealer agrees (and ONLY if they agree) to have the noise fixed with proof of work order, I wouldn't worry too much about the problem as long as all specifics are in writing no matter what the problem is. Make sure the problem is documented in writing & be general about it so not to narrow it down & it turn's out to be something else.
Old 09-22-05, 10:36 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

It is a 97 with 130k... sold as is because of the miles, and the dealership will not fix the problem since it is as is. The only service history I am aware of is the inspection where they found it needed a power steering pump.
Old 09-22-05, 10:44 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

when were the spark plugs last changed? i have this now after i changedmy plugs wasnt there b4. i think they might be gapped improperly. too bad i cant change them now and get back to you,but im driving round today and then i have to let the engine cool down a little b4 i go back in there
Old 09-22-05, 10:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

It is a 97 with 130k... sold as is because of the miles, and the dealership will not fix the problem since it is as is. The only service history I am aware of is the inspection where they found it needed a power steering pump.
Did they say how much the power steering pump will cost to fix? I think I might walk away & find another car personally......I don't like the dealers attitude & it sounds like you might be buying a problem here.
Old 09-22-05, 10:53 AM
eman_be_lexin
Driver School Candidate

I would check the dogbone mount to see if the bushing is worn out. I have that same problem and it is coming from the same area. I noticed that it was the dogbone mount rattling while the car is idling.
Old 09-22-05, 11:40 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Hmmm the engine jumps forward when the gas is pressed or tranny shifts,so I know I need new motor mounts... what exactly is a dogbone mount? That sounds VERY likely.
Old 09-22-05, 12:19 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Hmmm the engine jumps forward when the gas is pressed or tranny shifts,so I know I need new motor mounts... what exactly is a dogbone mount? That sounds VERY likely.
Get a price for that part since it's a good possibility.
Old 09-22-05, 12:46 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Get a price for that part since it's a good possibility.
My friend was saying it's possible to use a hockey puck as a rubber mount... that's how we used to do it with our Eclipses... this isn't an eclipse, but I still may be able to make it work, lol
Old 09-22-05, 12:57 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

My friend was saying it's possible to use a hockey puck as a rubber mount... that's how we used to do it with our Eclipses... this isn't an eclipse, but I still may be able to make it work, lol
Add duct tape to that DIY list! lmao
Old 09-22-05, 04:02 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

How would we know what the ticking is, you haven't given us any information about it...
Stick your head in the engine by and triangulate where on the engine the ticking comes from with your ears.

Probably the valvetrain. Lifter buckets slapping/ not enough oil on them / out of adjustment / valveslap.

The fuel cut is 7000-7100rpm. Warm the engine up then bounce it off the fuel cut a few seconds. Let the rpm slowly fall to say 2000rpm, then to idle. If there is less ticking, it's more than likely the lifter buckets getting more oil as oil pressure rises & the oil filter is bypassed around 3000-3500rpm.

But it could be anything that rorates so narrow it down if you want an answer!!!

Servicing the powersteering can be very expencive. If it's the pump your best option would be to go pull one off a corrisponding 1mz-fe Camry & put it on. P/S pumps should last indefinately. You'd have horrible luck to need a third.
Be sure if the P/S is serviced that you change the P/S fluid.

The best way to repair the dogbone is to knock the old rubber out & rebuild it with 3M Window Sealer Polyurathane. Otherwise, buy a new one.
Old 09-22-05, 04:27 PM
Stub333
Driver

3M Windo-Weld is good stuff...that is what I used to fill the mounts in my Hondas with...gears were alot easier to chirp afterwards!
Old 09-22-05, 04:47 PM
PES300
Driver School Candidate

why not use seafoam ( only $5.50) and see if all the noise will quiet down. At least my did.
Old 09-22-05, 07:18 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a record of a sludge check? Might be worth poping off the valve cover.
Old 09-22-05, 09:59 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Bought the ES tonight... you can see the motor mount on the upper passengers side of the engine compartment was totally faling appart, and causing rattle. That's why it sounded like it was coming from the timing belt.

I did pinpoint the area it was coming from in my orignal post... it sounded like somewhere between the timing belt and head on the left side of the engine, when really it was something under that rattling.

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Ticking/Rattling under hood but not valves on car I bought