ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

lookin for opinions on lowering springs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 11:10 AM
efini_kid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin for opinions on lowering springs...

aight guys, its time to start modding the windom. this is my first luxury car so im still new to it. everythign else ive owned has been race ready. im lookin for a set of lowering springs that gives me a decent drop, 1.5 inch or lower. but i want it to have a comfy ride. so give me your opinions on wut springs i should go with. oh yea the car is a 1997, so give me your info or experiences please

thanks
Old 09-27-05, 11:55 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

No less than a 1.5" drop. Anything less simply isn't noticed on the front - which negates the reason for drop springs in the first place. So I don't like to advise people to buy the sissy drop springs.

If your version of comfy means not much stiffer than stock, that pretty much locks you into the Eb springs for a Solara, not the Camry/ES.

Last edited by Pheonix; 09-27-05 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-27-05, 12:04 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to look into the B&G springs, too... they give you 1.6 all around like the Eibach Solara springs and also maintain a comfortable ride.

I'd tell you from experience how they feel, but mine are still sitting in the box waiting to go on.
Old 09-27-05, 12:52 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tanabe sustec df210 springs on my car with kyb gr2 shocks. It says that the front is lowered 1.8 and the rear 1.2. Ive had them for about a year and the front has a 2 finger gap and the rear is just about the same. The ride is a little bit stiffer than stock since the gr2's arent as soft as the stock shocks, but overall, it still has the smooth lexus ride.
Old 09-27-05, 03:35 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

before buying my ksports i was looking at the setup juan1 has. Tokico struts and Intrax springs. for a couple hundred more dollars i got coilovers and can correct the problem with the front gap.PLUS!!. they should arrive tomorrow
~R
Old 09-27-05, 04:35 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
before buying my ksports i was looking at the setup juan1 has. Tokico struts and Intrax springs. for a couple hundred more dollars i got coilovers and can correct the problem with the front gap.PLUS!!. they should arrive tomorrow
~R
nice!! Let me know if you ever get tired and want to sell them LOL
Old 09-27-05, 04:39 PM
blux
Pole Position

I just found some 2" drop springs from aerospeed or some similar brand on ebay for $80. I am going to try to install just the front springs and leave the back stock. Hopefully this will even things out.

I am not sure if the sagging rear end on most second gen es300's is caused by the springs going bad, or just a bad design. Although I do see a lot of newer cars with a sagging rear end and the front up 2 or 3" higher.

There is a 4+ finger gap in the front, and a bit less than 2 on the rear.

After I even out the front I will be putting on 18" SC430 wheels.

To get back on topic, I think the only way to retain a stock, or better than stock ride is to get coilovers. Otherwise you are restricting the movement of the stock shock, with a shorter, stiffer spring. The travel will be a lot different, and will bottom out sooner. (at least that was my experience when using drop springs on other cars)
Old 09-27-05, 04:52 PM
efini_kid
Rookie

well when i had my eclipse gst i had it sittin on koni yellows with H&R race springs. then i got my rx7 FD and i put it on ground control coilovers with koni yellows. both were tuckin 16 in rims with a 50 series tire. so they were quite low. im attempting to go VIP style with the lexus so i want something that is rather low. preferably i want no or very lil fender gap on teh front. hate the way fender gap looks, just gross, haha. do yall think koni yellows and another ground control setup will work well or should i save for a lil bit and get teh k-sports?
Old 09-27-05, 04:56 PM
blux
Pole Position

Some will push the coilovers regardless. Although I think if you are not going to be taking advantage of adjusting the coilovers, then there is no reason to get them, other than to say that you do. A nice static drop with springs, and good shocks will probably be just as nice.

Opinions anyone?
Old 09-27-05, 05:02 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

i went with them because i want adjustability for height. and it really wasnt that much more.

and NO I dont plan on getting rid of them JUAN :-p
Old 09-27-05, 06:16 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well, wait a minute here......aero speed .....for 80 bucks

I tried this(not aerospeed) but I once got cheapies from ebay , and it was not worth it.... what a headach

If you must have sprigs I say, tanabe 2 inch drop or some intrax.

but then again, 10 months later your gonna be shopping for some struts cause the oems got worn..........so ,now, your somewhere around a thousand bucks.....

I'm not saying that coilovers are for everyone, but they do have many other functions other that ride height(wich is awesome.... cause I can ghetto dump or ride classy...) plus they ride outstanding.

just my opinion though.
Old 09-27-05, 06:29 PM
efini_kid
Rookie

how much do the k sports run? or where can i find tehm the cheapest

juan how does your car ride? cuz i liek teh stance of yours. i plan on goin witha set of 18's eventually
Old 09-27-05, 06:48 PM
blux
Pole Position

I think my shocks are already worn.. haha
Old 09-27-05, 08:10 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

$900 including shipping. contact robert at EMS. I'll post up his number when i get it tomorrow.
Old 09-28-05, 03:03 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

efini, if you are looking at the stance in my sig, that is photoshopped... Ride is alright, stock is better though.

3rd element, $900+shipping or $900 shipped? Where is Robert EMS located?

Quick Reply: lookin for opinions on lowering springs...