ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 12:38 PM
plugmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

So I just bought a '00 ES300 and the check engine light and trac off light are on (yes, i know there's an on/off button, the light doesn't go off). previous owner said she's taken it to mechanic multiple times and they can't figure out what's wrong. looking back at the repair records, a service record from about 6 months ago says the engine and trac off light were on. They retrieved code 171-exhaust leak but no traction codes. they turned the trac light off and i can't tell if they fixed the exhaust leak or not. Both lights came back on right after leaving the mechanic. She took it back to the mechanic for final check up on its way to me last week and they couldnt pull any codes off either light. they decided to replace the oxygen sensors even though they weren't postive that was the problem, cleared the codes and they turned on again on the way home.

so, three questions:
#1 - any ideas on the lights? the trac light has something to do with traction control and isn't connected with the engine light, which solely turns on when theres problems with the exhaust system, right?
#2 - They recommended the timing belt be replaced at 90k miles and quoted $655 to replace timing belt & tensioner, waterpump, and fan belts - does that sound average, or should I get another estimate (I don't know what labor usually is on a Lexus) and is 90k really the manufacturer recommended time to change the timing belt? that sounds a little early to me.
#3 - the radio works worth crap - awesome sound system, but fm radio doesnt get any signal - anyone had this problem?

sorry for the stupid maintanence questions, i haven't gotten the repair manual yet.
Old 10-12-05, 04:11 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

#1 We wouldn't know. It's your car, go somewhere while the lights are on & have it scanned.
If the code she meant is P0171:
System too Lean (Fuel trim)
When the air fuel ratio feedback is stable after engine warming up, the fuel trim is considerable in error on the RICH side.
(2 trip detection logic)
Trouble Area:
Vacuum leak
A/F sensor malfunction
MAF
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel pressure
Injector blockage

The fuel trim is seperate for both banks. Have a scanner chek long term & short term fuel trims for both banks to see which side has a problem.

#2 Search, timing belts are covered to death on every forum ever. No, labor is not more on a Lexus as nearly everything is identicle/interchangeable with a Camry. Yes Lexus dealers have horrible mark-up's on part prices (3,5,10, 15 times) & have a habit of charging 50% more labor costs for no reason.
#3 Antenna wire may be disconnected