ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The New ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-01, 01:53 PM
alvin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess What,
My Friend who works at this studio in Canada, (I
live in Canada Too) has a account with Lexus to
create there pictures. I saw the NEW ES300
last night. They were taking pics of it at the Ford Centre in Toronto.
This Es was insured for 1.5 Mill....... the only one in
North America. Cream-ish white, crome door handles.
The front lights look like the New Celica, and the rear
kind of looks like the Avalon. 16" rims no chrome on this one.
At first the car looked ugly, then give it 10 minutes, its
one HOT Lex....
The inside (i could only look in not go in, and I was not allowed to touch the car) back to the inside
wood trim on doors like the LS430, Wood sterring wheel
and the GS looking cluster. The car look good.
Old 07-19-01, 03:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET JESUS!!! SING PRAISES TO GOD!!! Why didn't you try to be a martyr and try to steal the thing for the world to see? Man, you HAVE NO IDEA how much I envy you. I would friggin' sell my kidneys to see that thing!!!
Old 07-19-01, 04:40 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like Lexus can add another screwed up design to their list! First they FU@#$* up the LS then the SC now the beautiful ES too? I guess the LX, RX, GS are next on the list and the IS after a while also will get butchered. After more then what 12 years of excellence and design Lexus is "fixing something that isn't broken" god why? Their cars have nothing that ties them together from the last generation to the new generation vehicles, like BMW's timeless front grills. Lexus is disappointing me drastically, I don’t care if the new cars look hot, (which I don’t think the do) they still don’t have the Lexus look that built a luxury automobile empire! I’m heated! The 2001 windom/ ES300 is perfection embodied in an automobile. I am impressed on how it was slightly updated from the 92 and now they are going to rape it from its identity and take away everything that makes it a windom. Even though it was a 2001 just by a glance I could recognize its ES300 trademarks like the mean looking headlights, front grill, front valance, sporty tail end frameless doors and smooth body. Like the new SC430 they don’t even have the trademark SC style headlights 4 head lights, that is the most dramatic trademark for the SC’s and now they created a TT wannabe with completely different design not maintaining anything of the older version, not even the same size car? What is the future for Lexus? Will they still sell just because they have an L on the hood?

I don’t mean to offend anyone with these comments, but I’m feeling pretty hurt right now. I new this was going to happen, Alvin this is all I need to know about the new ES don’t bother with pics, I want’t to remember the ES the way it was when it was still alive, smiling and happy.

RIP LS400 90-2000

RIP SC300/400 92-2000

RIP ES300 92-2001
Attached Thumbnails The New ES 300-windom.jpg  
Old 07-19-01, 05:36 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L_Sport, I am actually looking forward to the new ES. I like the LS430, but it's no LS400 by any means. I totally agree with you about the SC, though. I'm still in system shock. The stupid *****s at Toyota's Europe design studio are responsible for the sorry mockery that is the '02 SC. They should be ashamed of themselves. Lexus needs to get the hell rid of their identity crisis...NOW!!!

EDIT: It makes me want to cry when I think about what I'm going to type next, in fact, tears are welling up in my eyes...: The "Golden Years" of Lexus are over. It stopped with the '01 SC and '00 LS. The sorry excuse for a "revolution" will, unfortunately, continue. Forced by competitors like BMW, MB, and even Infiniti, Lexus is now pushing for a complete redesign of every car by 2004, not to mention a whole bunch of techno glitz...It makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time when I think about this: Lexus wanted the LS430 to create another revolution, a revolution that was created by the LS, a revolution they foolishly thought would come to light. So the LS430 was bigger, more powerful, safer, more luxurious, etc., than the LS400, but it's character was sent to the history books once they destroyed the molds...same for the SC...where will it stop? The sick, sad answer is that it WON'T...

Last edited by SecPole14; 07-19-01 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-20-01, 01:23 PM
jroosh
Driver

Unhappy '02 ES

I saw pictures of the same car Alvin saw...it looks pretty good - the front resembles the new SC a bit (which is so-so) and the back reminds me of an Acura 3.2 TL.

It may take me a few more minutes than Alvin for it to grow on me.

The SC is just plain ugly - looks like a snail to me - look at that S-Car-Go! No thanks.

Old 07-21-01, 01:02 PM
Mind18
Driver

L Sport I couldn't have said it better myself. Like, you I haven't been too impressed with the recent styling of lexus (GS update, LS 430, SC430). I know some people like the new look of the LS 430, but it seems like they went backward in styling instead of forward. Although the the previous version, LS400, auto mags considered it too bland, I thought the headlight housings were unique. The brochure even had the housings as if they were jewels. AS for the SC430, I do admidt it is unique, but I think they might have took their "European boats" idea too far. What I have always loved and found unique were the instrument clusters, but here on the SC430 you have just regular gauges. I'm assuming it is because it mimics the yahts more...

It almost seems like Lexus isn't confident it what makes them great and unique. An example of this is the IS300. While I think the "suffciently radical" idea was ok to perhaps break some stereotypes of Lexus, but you shouldn't break the good things....what I'm talking about is the interior and inside instrument lighting (too BMWish). I keep asking myself what makes this car a Lexus then as opposed to a toyota).

And as for the ES300, 100% agree with you LS Sport, everything from the framless windows to the tail lighting makes it a great automobile. I remember when the new GS was about too come out I was scared, because I thought the pervious model was simply beautiful and if they came out with something that was worse I would be let down. I'm feeling the same thing for the new ES300. Sorry for the long post and again these are just my opinions.

Originally posted by L_Sport
Sounds like Lexus can add another screwed up design to their list! First they FU@#$* up the LS then the SC now the beautiful ES too? I guess the LX, RX, GS are next on the list and the IS after a while also will get butchered. After more then what 12 years of excellence and design Lexus is "fixing something that isn't broken" god why? Their cars have nothing that ties them together from the last generation to the new generation vehicles, like BMW's timeless front grills. Lexus is disappointing me drastically, I don’t care if the new cars look hot, (which I don’t think the do) they still don’t have the Lexus look that built a luxury automobile empire! I’m heated! The 2001 windom/ ES300 is perfection embodied in an automobile. I am impressed on how it was slightly updated from the 92 and now they are going to rape it from its identity and take away everything that makes it a windom. Even though it was a 2001 just by a glance I could recognize its ES300 trademarks like the mean looking headlights, front grill, front valance, sporty tail end frameless doors and smooth body. Like the new SC430 they don’t even have the trademark SC style headlights 4 head lights, that is the most dramatic trademark for the SC’s and now they created a TT wannabe with completely different design not maintaining anything of the older version, not even the same size car? What is the future for Lexus? Will they still sell just because they have an L on the hood?

I don’t mean to offend anyone with these comments, but I’m feeling pretty hurt right now. I new this was going to happen, Alvin this is all I need to know about the new ES don’t bother with pics, I want’t to remember the ES the way it was when it was still alive, smiling and happy.

RIP LS400 90-2000

RIP SC300/400 92-2000

RIP ES300 92-2001
Old 07-22-01, 12:16 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Time for a change

I too look forward to the new ES300. It's about time. The competition from BMW and MB is so intense that Lexus does not want to look like the follower all the time and has to establish it's revampled model line quickly to stay at the top.

The old SCs were great cars, but now they just look out of place, since this luxury 2 door car segment is vanishing or changing to convertibles.

Embrace change, change is for the better. It will grow on you and eventually you will want the latest and greatest ;-)

Geez, I sound like I am brainwashing you! HA!