ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

questions about my es300

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 11:11 AM
lex_es300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about my es300

ok i have a 98 lexus es300 and i have some questions about hooking it up. i would like some suggestions and info. i need some help because websites dont provide good enough info and i dont get enough time to do more research because of skool.

1) whats the max size rims you can put on it? can i put up to 22?

2) what could i do to increase engine performance?

3) how much does a wood grain kit cost?

4) if i put in new sound system, will there be a lot of space left in the center dash? should i put
a tv there to cover it up?

5) how much would it cost to put in air ride suspension? what's the best company to get that from?

6) the carpeting is kinda dirty. should i clean it or just put in new carpeting?

7) how much does 5% window tinting cost on all 4 side windows? how much does 20% cost for front and rear?

8) the locks on the doors have to be opened manually because the automatic lock is broken. how do i fix that?

9) what is the best security system out there? how much would it cost?

10) how much does it cost to redo trunk carpeting? how much does it cost to put it new leather seats?

11) how much would it cost to repaint the lexus a new green?

12) the ac sometimes gives off a weird smell. what can i do to fix this?

13) the rear bumper has a big slash mark on it. how much would it cost to fix that?

14) i like the lexus es300 but for some reason it reminds me too much of a toyota camry. i see potential in it but im not sure. should i hook it up or should i just get a different car?
Old 12-03-05, 11:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_es300
ok i have a 98 lexus es300 and i have some questions about hooking it up. i would like some suggestions and info. i need some help because websites dont provide good enough info and i dont get enough time to do more research because of skool.

1) whats the max size rims you can put on it? can i put up to 22?
Negative, 20" is the most. and that requires mods, i would say with coilovers, 17" works great, 18" will work, 19"s are pushing it and 20's, need fenders rolled.

2) what could i do to increase engine performance?
unfortunately, for your car, the mod opportunites are limited without major knoweldge and skills, and/or lots of money. Custom turbos are abound, but they come at a price of time/downtime/knoweldege or cash if you cant do it yourself (Pm Phoenix for info on this). Otherwise, its the basic stuff: Intake, exhaust and the like. Although, for $400, a port and polish on the heads and a 3, 4, or 5 angle valve job will yeild about 30-40 horsies. But if you cant change a head gasket, dont attempt yourself, again, comes down to money.

3) how much does a wood grain kit cost?
You should already have real woodgrain trim in your Lexus. All Lexus's come with woodgrain. even my fairly base model, 15 year old ES250 came with it. and it has REAL wood, not woodgrain.

4) if i put in new sound system, will there be a lot of space left in the center dash? should i put
a tv there to cover it up?
Its a possibility. you can. I would if i had the cash Make sure you dont piecemeal the system, or go to bestbuy. the ES300 is a very complicatd electrical system, and the speakers inside the dash are hard to change. trust it to a professional audio shop or DIY, but NOT bestbuy or the like.

5) how much would it cost to put in air ride suspension? what's the best company to get that from?
IMO, i wouldnt bother. otherwise, expect somewhere around $300 per strut. I would assume well over $2,000 for the whole shebang. But i wouldnt do it on any car, ESPECIALLY a lexus, that was going to serve any kind of Daily Driver function.

Also, if you live in a place where it drops below 10 degrees regularly, Air ride is a No Go. you will bust the bags in the cold. they will freeze, and when rubber freezes, it loses its flexibility. i have a friend with an S10 here on fort drum that had that exact thing happen to him, at 10 below zero, i told him not to raise the thing, or his bags would blow. and they did, all 4 of em.

6) the carpeting is kinda dirty. should i clean it or just put in new carpeting?
Man you must have money growing on a tree in yoru backyard. How dirty is dirty? If its not too bad, a steam cleaner from walmart may do the trick, if nto that then rent a rugdoctor from a store, otherwise, a professional detailer can probably fix it, (average rate is between $200 and $300 per car, but your car will look brand new after they are done) if they are charging less than $100, then they probably arent a pro.

7) how much does 5% window tinting cost on all 4 side windows? how much does 20% cost for front and rear?
%5 rear and 20% front, in texas ran me $185. here in NY, having my ZX2 tinted, with the same percentage, and 2 less doors than my lexus had, cost $245. it depends ENTIRELY on where you live. go shop around.

8) the locks on the doors have to be opened manually because the automatic lock is broken. how do i fix that?
A place than installs remot starters can probably fix it for you cheaper than the dealer otherwise the dealer is an option, or you can buy the lock actuators here:

www.discounttoyotaparts.com

and DIY.

9) what is the best security system out there? how much would it cost?
I would go with Viper. and again, it depends on what you want, and what area you are in. there are alot of different levels of security.

10) how much does it cost to redo trunk carpeting? how much does it cost to put it new leather seats?
Count on at least $600 for the 2 frotn seats alone (should give you some idea of the rear) and the trunk carpeting, i would redo myself for the cost fo the carpet only. again, prices vary by area.

11) how much would it cost to repaint the lexus a new green?
For a Fantastic, better than factory look, count on around $3,000. otherwise, maaco is $500 (PLEASE DONT DO THAT!!! IF YOU ARE DOING IT< DO IT RIGHT) again, will vary by area.

12) the ac sometimes gives off a weird smell. what can i do to fix this?
you have mildew in the AC lines. have the AC system serviced for $100 and change the cabin filter, if so equipped. otherwise, just use it more.

13) the rear bumper has a big slash mark on it. how much would it cost to fix that?
I need a pic. if its just paint and no cracks, around $400-$500.

14) i like the lexus es300 but for some reason it reminds me too much of a toyota camry. i see potential in it but im not sure. should i hook it up or should i just get a different car?
I'm not gonna answer that, because if you didnt like it, than you shouldnt have bought it. go drive a camry and then drive your lexus, and tell us the difference, i gauruntee your thoughts will change.

Hope this helps. and welcome.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-03-05 at 11:47 AM.