ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Experience - First 150-200K

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 08:30 PM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 Experience - First 150-200K

In starting this new thread I'm hoping to become more informed about the first generation ES AND to see how my car stacked up with other members of this Forum.

In replying to this Thread - please see the two questions below - it would be great if you kept to my recommended format. Thank you in advance!

My Background:

*Sole owner - 1992 ES300

*Until about 100K ALL scheduled intermediate and major services were done at Lexus dealerships - oil changes were sometimes done at other places (I always supplied the oil filters - purchasing them in advance from Lexus parts departments)

*Transmission blew out at 75K - Lexus of North America agreed to pay for the cost of a reconditioned transmission, however I was left with the labor bill ($1,300+) - towing was covered by my AAA membership

*Two water pumps were needed between 80-120K on different occasions. . .car was towed both times to a local dealer for repair

*Oil light thermostat and entire light panel for front dash were replaced at 150K (this was especially pricey!)

*Overall, car was well maintained and cared for. . .oil changes routinely every 3K. . .tune ups, fluid flushes, etc., were always done on time.

*Not so great ending: one week before our recent Thanksgiving holiday, my car was ultimately abandoned for "parts" ($700) with local mechanic. . .rear head gasket blew. . .A/C compressor needed to be replaced. . .clutch on automatic transmission needed major repair. . .local dealer quoted $6-7K AND 3-4 weeks. . .local mechanic (former Lexus service technician) could have done the work at $5K.

Not to appear theatrical. . .I'm still in shock and mourning over this. . .I absolutely loved my ES. . .it had a silky smooth "Cadillac" ride (missing in the latest ES generation which is a bit sportier). . .and the pioneer sound system is as good as or better than the Nakamichi premium systems that went into the LS and GS models in the 1990's.

The only criticisms I or my passengers ever had for the 1992 car were probably the same as other owners: acceleration response for freeway lane changing, etc., needed to improve. . .taller, back seat passengers needed to be reminded to bend extra lower when getting into the car due to the curved design, etc.

Questions for Readers:

1: How does your experience compare with mine?

2: If there's such a thing as manufacturer's "planned" expected life. . .what was it roughly expected to be in these first generation (early 1990's) ES models?

(My suspicion is that my experience was "average" - that a fair number of 1992 models suffered the same fate or economic demise as I did. Then again. . .13.25 years in continuous service ain't bad!)

3: Any added comments about the first generation ES models and in response to my experience?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-05-05, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) My experience: I'm happy my ES is a coach edition. (I can't stop pointing that out) But...A LOT OF WORK was done to my 93 ES.
-The A/C was really weird, it sqeaked hecka loud when it was turned on
-The Harmonical Balance Pulley was loose
-The water pump was GLUED???(wtf?) to the car.
-Shocks are dead (used to have TSW EVO17s)
-Car was in bumper 2 bumper accident (front and back)
Most of the stuff was fixed, except the water pump, and shocks.
AND the sorry part is that DURING Thanksgiving, I think a gasket blew, and water got into the combustion chamber. I need a new motor. The body is still good but the brain is dead.
2) I don't know the "Planned Life" expectancy but there probably IS one on every car.
3) The 1st gen ES300s are ok. They just have too many Head problems. The tow truck guy told me that the LS400s last longer than the ES300s.
And lastly, I'm begining to dislike the ES300.. for the motor.
And Your experience was a tragic one.
Old 12-05-05, 11:36 AM
Stub333
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my ES from the orignal owner at 124k, and it has 152k on it now. Aside from routine maintenance, the previous owner only had a few things replaced. The trans was rebuilt at 110k and along with that he had the axles replaced as well as the brakepads/rotors.

In the 28k that I have had it aside from routine maintenance and a timing belt overhaul, I as well have only replaced a few items. When I first got it I put in new rear sway bar frame bushings, because they squeeked. I took apart the gauge cluster and replaced all the bulbs so it looked new again. The upper dogbone mount I replaced when doing the timing belt overhaul. Most recently the speedo sensor went bad causing the needle to surge and trans to shift weird, so I sourced a used Avalon sensor from a junkyard, cleaned it up and threw it in to solve that problem. Besides that stuff which is not much, I have only replaced like tailight bulbs and stupid minor things.

Nothing has ever physically broken on me nor has the car ever left me stranded. It is extremely reliable and I feel will last deep into the 200k mark.

I'll get full pics of it up at some point!

Last edited by Stub333; 12-05-05 at 11:46 AM.