ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need help with catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 11:48 AM
turbotc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with catalytic converter

I need some advice.

The other day my wife started up our 99 ES300 and drove off. She quickly returned and told me that the car was making noises underneath. I looked under the car and noticed that something fell off but was still clinging on and was dragging.

Today I got beneath the vehicle. It turned out to be the cover for the catalytic converter. This looks like it is some kind of a shield and is held onto the catalytic converter by 4 bolts. Three of the corners rusted and broke off and the 4th one was still on. I just bent it back and forth until the 4th corner broke off. Now this shield is completely off the vehicle. The 4 bolts are still on though.

My questions are:

1. What is the purpose of this shield thing?
2. Can the car be driven without it or do I need to have one on?
3. If I don't have one replaced, will it do any damage to the catalytic converter?
4. Where can I get one of these? It looks like it can be installed easy enough, unless those 4 bolts/screws are rusted and could not be removed.

Thanks for your advice.

Vincent
Old 12-15-05, 12:00 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metal shield above the catalytic converter is to protect the interior from the high heat of the cat. The shield underneath is mainly for protection from road debris. It's not vital to the operation of the car. If you do want to replace it you should be able to purchase just the shield from a dealer or find a suitable replacement at the junjyard.
Old 12-15-05, 05:00 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The 4 bolts/nuts are normally rusted on. Penitrating oil + breaker bar normally get's them off fine. They're 14mm.
It insulates the cat so it warms quickly, protects the car body from the heat (It can easily exceed 800*F at times), and protect the cat from water - which will cool it quickly & damage it.
Old 12-20-05, 12:14 PM
turbotc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you gentlemen for your input. The wife has been driving the cars for a week or so now and has no complaints. I think I'll just not bother trying to put it back.
Old 12-20-05, 12:22 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

That works for me. I would take some cheap fiberglass insulation wrap (For exhaust components) & wrap it with that.
Shouldn't cost very much & will protect everything that needs to be protected.
Old 12-20-05, 05:14 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbotc
I need some advice.

The other day my wife started up our 99 ES300 and drove off. She quickly returned and told me that the car was making noises underneath. I looked under the car and noticed that something fell off but was still clinging on and was dragging.

Today I got beneath the vehicle. It turned out to be the cover for the catalytic converter. This looks like it is some kind of a shield and is held onto the catalytic converter by 4 bolts. Three of the corners rusted and broke off and the 4th one was still on. I just bent it back and forth until the 4th corner broke off. Now this shield is completely off the vehicle. The 4 bolts are still on though.

My questions are:

1. What is the purpose of this shield thing?
2. Can the car be driven without it or do I need to have one on?
3. If I don't have one replaced, will it do any damage to the catalytic converter?
4. Where can I get one of these? It looks like it can be installed easy enough, unless those 4 bolts/screws are rusted and could not be removed.

Thanks for your advice.

Vincent
1: keep heat away from a certain area. the floor board could cause a fire

2: yes u can drive but i dont sugest it. note answer 1
3 no it wont cause damage to cat
4 the dealership has them in stock

if ur with in 8 years or 80k miles. the gov mandated that all cats are fully warr.
Old 12-21-05, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also get a catalytic converter from a muffler shop. They will install it for you. The price is about over $100 because they advertise 4 cylinders = $100 and 6-8 cylinders = $120+.
Old 12-21-05, 01:32 PM
turbotc
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind that this is the lower heat shield that fell off. Not the upper one that protects the vehicle from the heat of the cat. This lower one prevents the cat from igniting tall grass should you park on grassy surface, from what I read.