ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Are there any current ES owners who formerly owned a GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 05:43 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Are there any current ES owners who formerly owned a GS

Just curious. I went from an ES to a GS. Has anyone gone the other way?
Old 12-16-05, 05:56 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did... each car has its own strong points.

I would've gone for another GS, but after becoming addicted to lightweight compacts the ES was a smoother transition than heading back into a very heavy feeling GS... just my own personal preference.
Old 12-16-05, 06:02 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leets
I did... each car has its own strong points.

I would've gone for another GS, but after becoming addicted to lightweight compacts the ES was a smoother transition than heading back into a very heavy feeling GS... just my own personal preference.
How about some specifics about what you had? I owned a 99 ES300 (oyster pearl/sage) from 99-04 (it was my wife's from 99-02 and mine from 02-04). I sold it in 04 for a 98 GS4 and then sold the 98 for a 99 GS4 in 05. I don't know why, but I am really excited about the 07 ES350. I'm 38 years old, and although I love the GS, I could see a point in the not-so-distant future where comfort and quiet take precedent to power and performance.
Old 12-16-05, 08:08 PM
dp5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES vs GS

I have a 2000 ES 300 and, coincidentally, I also am 38 years old. When the 2006 GS 300 came out, I decided to replace my car with the new GS. I went to the dealership and test drove one. While it was a wonderful car and I loved all the new technological stuff (Nav, Mark Levinson sound, Bluetooth, push-button start, etc.), the cars were selling for MSRP and I just wasn't impressed enough to pay full price. The salesman told me that a new ES was coming out in the Spring of 2006 so I decided to wait.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got tired of waiting for a new car so I went ot the dealership with every intention of purchasing a new GS that day. They are giving a few thousand off of MSRP now so price wasn't an issue but when I drove the GS it just seemed like a little too much "sport" and not enough "sedan" for my taste. It was a great car but it didn't seem like it would fit the needs of me and my family as well as the ES. The me of 10 years ago would be so embarassed by the me of today. :-)

While I haven't owned a GS, I have twice given some serious thought to purchasing one and I have decided that the ES would be a better car for me. I'll be able to get a new ES in the Spring with Nav, Mark Levinson stereo, Bluetooth, etc. and the new 3.5L engine is projected to do 0-60 in 6.0 seconds which is plenty fast for my needs. It seems like the people who write for the car mags and post on these forums are real autophiles and, as such, value high performance cars. However, I have always loved my ES and I think that it is a great car for the money. It is my opinion that it fits the needs of most drivers looking for a nice way to handle the daily commute and I'm looking forward to getting the 2007 model when it is released.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-05, 06:41 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dp5
I have a 2000 ES 300 and, coincidentally, I also am 38 years old. When the 2006 GS 300 came out, I decided to replace my car with the new GS. I went to the dealership and test drove one. While it was a wonderful car and I loved all the new technological stuff (Nav, Mark Levinson sound, Bluetooth, push-button start, etc.), the cars were selling for MSRP and I just wasn't impressed enough to pay full price. The salesman told me that a new ES was coming out in the Spring of 2006 so I decided to wait.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally got tired of waiting for a new car so I went ot the dealership with every intention of purchasing a new GS that day. They are giving a few thousand off of MSRP now so price wasn't an issue but when I drove the GS it just seemed like a little too much "sport" and not enough "sedan" for my taste. It was a great car but it didn't seem like it would fit the needs of me and my family as well as the ES. The me of 10 years ago would be so embarassed by the me of today. :-)

While I haven't owned a GS, I have twice given some serious thought to purchasing one and I have decided that the ES would be a better car for me. I'll be able to get a new ES in the Spring with Nav, Mark Levinson stereo, Bluetooth, etc. and the new 3.5L engine is projected to do 0-60 in 6.0 seconds which is plenty fast for my needs. It seems like the people who write for the car mags and post on these forums are real autophiles and, as such, value high performance cars. However, I have always loved my ES and I think that it is a great car for the money. It is my opinion that it fits the needs of most drivers looking for a nice way to handle the daily commute and I'm looking forward to getting the 2007 model when it is released.

Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Even though you've never owned a GS, it's as if you read my mind. It's the me of 10 years ago that is holding on for dear life, but the current me (married, 2 kids, etc.) is telling me otherwise. I mean, how could I want to own anything other than a luxury sports sedan, right? It's the natural progression (87 Mustang GT, 93 300zx, 99 BMW 323i and now 99 GS400). However, sometimes when I'm driving to work in the morning (30 highway miles each way), as I'm getting jolted around on uneven surfaces, the current me steps in and says, "what's more important -- going 0-60 in under 6 seconds or having a nice, relaxing, comfortable quiet ride to work." It's funny, because for the last few months I've been contemplating a new set of tires for my 17" rims. The current tires I have are a little aggressive and I'm looking for something a little softer and quieter. The bottom line is, however, that no matter what tire I put on those 17s, the ride will never be as soft and compliant as that of the ES. It's all a trade-off. Is this me really talking? Maybe I'll feel differently once the spring hits and the weather starts getting nicer, but right now, in the dead of winter here in Chicago, I'm thinking that a nice quiet soft luxurious ride would be a great thing. We'll see. Thanks a lot for your post.

e
Old 12-17-05, 06:54 PM
dallison
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually had an acura rl 2000 and now have an es 300. 99

i really enjoy this car over the rl.

the es has a smoother transmission and brakes.

now the rl was heavier and had a great look.

gas mileage is about 25mpg avg in the es and it was around 18-19 avg in the rl.

i am buying a house in the spring and wanted a cheaper car.

the es is better on gas, cheaper on insurance and cheaper with maintanance.

after owning an acura cl and rl and the wife's tl, i may be purchaing more lexus products in the future
Old 12-19-05, 09:01 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e-man
How about some specifics about what you had? I owned a 99 ES300 (oyster pearl/sage) from 99-04 (it was my wife's from 99-02 and mine from 02-04). I sold it in 04 for a 98 GS4 and then sold the 98 for a 99 GS4 in 05. I don't know why, but I am really excited about the 07 ES350. I'm 38 years old, and although I love the GS, I could see a point in the not-so-distant future where comfort and quiet take precedent to power and performance.
I had a 94 GS300, and I currently drive a 2001 ES300. I'm only 24 and have no wife or kids to speak of, so family utility wasn't on my list of criteria when I shopped for a new Lexus. I originally searched for an SC, but I was leaving the door open for pretty much any Lexus car. I really loved the GS, but it definitely felt big. I subscribe to the school of thought that believes bigger isn't always better. I like feeling more tightly connected to my car; I like being more in tune with the driving characteristics. I had Eibach springs on my GS, but the bulk was still there in the driving experience.

The ES is by no means anorexic, but it definitely is and feels lighter than the GS. It's no pure driver's car, but it is a lot easier to control weight transfer. I found that the ES gave me all the luxury I was looking for after the GS, and more safety features in a more economical package.

After driving the current ES330 I found that it definitely feels more luxurious and offers a much more "inviting" interior, but it definitely feels more numb to the road and a little too bulky for my tastes. When it comes to current generations, I'd pick the GS over the ES for sheer driving enjoyment.