ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sound cutting in and out... audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 11:59 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound cutting in and out... audio problem

Hi all!

I'm back here and need some help from all of you guys.

I just brought my Lexus into the glass shop to get a new windshield and after installation my audio side of things now has a problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Problem: Audio for all speakers cuts in and out. All speakers turn on or off no in between. The head unit runs perfectly fine the whole time through. Tested with both the radio and the cd player.

Symptoms: The speakers work while the car is closed (all doors closed).

- When I open the driver's door, the speakers cut out and the driver door open bell rings.
- When I close the driver's door, the speakers then turn back on.

- When I choose to open any of the other doors, the speakers do the same thing, of course without the bell tone ring.

- Additional symptoms are that while I was driving, when I took off from a traffic light, not accelerating too fast, the speakers shut off again. Then when I hit the brakes, they turned on and then off.

Patient: 1994 ES300

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not sure where to start but if anyone has places to look at, I'll be very appreciative for the time taken to give me advice or information.

It seems to be electrical related somehow connected with the door sensors. I'm not sure how many amps there are in the car. It's the stock pioneer head unit. Again any information will be helpful. This is a little depressing for a college kid, problems keep occuring after I fix a previous one.

Thanks all for the great community here. Happy holidays!

Edit:

New occurance: While driving, the car locked all the doors while both my hands were on the steering wheel. Must be some electrical problem.

Last edited by Spyder187; 12-20-05 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 01:01 PM
TRoyals14
Rookie

Lightbulb

check your wiring through the doors if u haven't already
make sure nothing's loose
maybe you overextended the door or something, although that doesnt explain the entire system goin off
just sounds like something's loose, cause you just stretched it out
if you're lucky u put it back in and not have to pay a dime
Old 12-20-05, 05:21 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

New thing occurred last night. While driving, the car locked all the doors while both my hands were on the steering wheel. Must be some electrical problem.

How easy is it to take the fittings off the A-pillers? I'm thinking the wiring around there may have been touched but it's hard to say.

I think something may be grounding to the car body potentially.

And yeah I'm a college student so funds won't be allocated to repairs especially when I think the mechanic won't have a much better chance at pinpointing an electrical fault.
Old 12-20-05, 10:04 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

When I had my windshield replaced after I punched it, I watched them put in the new windshield. So I hate to say it but, I cant really see how they would have messed it up. Unless something fell into the dash speakers or something. Perhaps you could try popping the grills and removing the two 2.5'' speakers and see what happens. If there is a grounded out speaker it should likely return a crappy signal to the amp and all the speakers would be having problems. So thats why we will disconnect them to isolate the rest. Hope this gets you some where. Also, its a stretch but go to the windshield place and tell them what has happened. If nothing else, just to watch them squirm for a minute. Lemme know.