ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'93 ES300 w/ chronic transmission failures...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 10:32 PM
Osiris_x11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '93 ES300 w/ chronic transmission failures...

Well, an unusual intro' of sorts...

I've owned a 1993 Lexus ES300 from August 1998 to present. I purchased it from Rohrich Lexus of Pittsburgh w/ about 45k miles on it. In September 1998 I had a front collision at a stop-sign, low-speed (15mph). Air-bag was discharged. Repair was about $4500. Replacement items were: driver's side headlamp, hood, radiator, and other misc. pieces along w/ painting hood/bumper/fender.

Well, in December 1998 my transmission started slipping one cold night; it was failing. I took it to Rohrich Lexus, as I was still under the drive-train warranty (6month/6k or something like that for preowned vehicles). They refused to honor the warranty and stated the accident was to blame for the transmission failure. This was total B.S. and they just wanted to put up some initial resistance. Sadly, I didn't put up much of a fight as I was in the process of relocating to Austin TX and some family matters were on the mind; I simply went to AAMCO and got it rebuilt for like $3,500 in January 1999.

Fast forward to August 2002, transmission begins to fail again. Did another $3,000 rebuild through AAMCO. So far, that's (2) rebuilds out of my pocket.

In December 2002, I go back to the East Coast from Texas to visit friends and family. In Pittsburgh, on a cold-blistery night, the transmission begins failing again. I somehow managed to get it moving, though at stop-lights & stop signs I have great difficulty getting it going again. Once I get on the highway, I drive straight to Ashburn VA (Greater DC area) where I was staying at the time; I had to do this w/o STOPPING once, or my transmission would've failed. Once I get near my sister's house, I finally stopped at a stop sign; game-over, transmissions gone. Atleast I made it home.

So I still had AAMCO's 1yr warranty from the summer's rebuild. In Virginia, I ended up getting another rebuild for $3,400, but this time paid for by AAMCO on January 2003. This shop was the most heralded on the entire East Coast. He had a 2-4week waiting list all the time.

Well now it's December 2005. The transmission is failing yet again, so it means the transmission will completely fail any day.

I AM PERPLEXED, BEWILDERED, LOST, NUMB, JADED, BLAH BLA BHA...

Hence, my intro'.

If anyone has any insights, advice, or leads on an ES300 tranny available... I'd be sincerely happy to hear from you.

BTW, my extended family's Lexus stable... (from recollection, owned at one time or present)
- Aunt: 2001 ES300 (FL)
- Aunt: 2000 GS300 (FL)
- Uncle: 1991 ES250 (PA)
- Cousin: 1998 LX470 (CO)
- Uncle: 1997 LS400 (CA)
- Aunt: 1995 LS400 (CA)
- Uncle: 1999 LS400 (NC)
- Cousin: 1996 LX450 (VA)
- Uncle: 1996 LS400 (FL)
- Uncle: 2001 LS400 (TX)
- Aunt: 1993 LS400 (TX)
- Aunt: 2000 RX300 (TX)

Last edited by Osiris_x11; 12-22-05 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 05:59 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

All these tranny failures you have described surely indicate to me that this ES is already not worth keeping after compiling all the repair costs that lead up to where you are now. I'd say at this point get rid of the ES as soon as you can. Sell it, trade it, whatever is on your mind. I believe the mistake you made here is getting your ES tranny rebuilt in the first place. Replacing it with a remanufactured tranny may make more practical sense from an economic point of view.

Unfortunately, the damage is already done, and it's just going to be more torturing if you continue to hold on to your ES. Sorry, it's the honest to God's truth
Old 12-23-05, 07:11 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with LexusK8. Such an unreliable car is not worth keeping.

Such a serious accident can knock out any tranny. Rebuilt/junkyard trannies are hit or miss. Not sure about your driving style, but that can attribute to premature tranny failure as well.

If your family is so financially gifted with so many Lexus vehicles, why not buy a new one?

Happy holidays.
Old 12-23-05, 09:10 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Probably loosing transmission fluid, or you have incorrect transmission fluid pressure. The transmission cooler is an externial unit infront of the radiator, if you got hit in the nose - it's possible you could have damaged it.

Flush the fluid & do a line pressure test.

Used A540-E transmissions normally go between $300-$750 all things depending.

You're looking for a 92-93 Camry v6 / ES 300 transmission. If you rebuild it before you drop it in, get a kit from IPT.
Old 12-23-05, 12:35 PM
Osiris_x11
Driver

Smile My odyssey...

Sincere thanks to the replies & insights... I need to check back on the paperwork to see if the failing transmission was rebuilt or replaced w/ a rebuilt one; I am sure though that a new or non-rebuilt transmission was not installed during any of the transmission jobs. During those times, I wasn't as well-informed as I am now through the internet/web-forums regarding used/salvage parts, advice, and information. Towing fees, daily storage fees, etc. all significantly add up real quick. Finding an used transmission takes time and so forth.

I would consider a non-rebuilt, avg. miles, used transmission at this point. Rebuilding this transmission or replacing it w/ a rebuilt one is not even a consideration.

Transmission oil-cooler...
The transmission oil cooler being situated in the front behind the bumper is something I never even considered. I'll most definitely look into that. I've had uneventful transmission oil changes in the past and always have checked for leaks as well as the appearance and consistency of the ATF.

I've also thought maybe there was a glitch in my automatic transmission's computer, or software issue. Even after a successful rebuild/replacement, the engine rev's as if it's disconnected from the transmission and sometimes approaches redline unless let off the throttle (anaology: imagine stepping on the gas in a manual transmission car w/ the shifter in neutral). After evetry rebuild, it was like this right from the start! Had to feather the gas-pedal when nearing a shift-point otherwise engine would over-rev'.

Another possibility I considered was drastic weather change (don't laugh!). Perhaps some small part may have become brittle and broke or there may have been some moisture in the transmission casing that expanded when temperatures dropped. The two failures in Pittsburgh (December 1998, December 2002) and current failure in Texas (December 2005) all occurred when temperature dropped drastically from well above freezing to near zero along w/ ice-formation & slight precipation. The August 2002 failure was in the summer, making this hypothesis somewhat inconsistent.

Anyways, plan is to get another transmission (non-rebuilt) and swap it in; get the auto. trans. computer checked. Fix some other small bits & cosmetic things... and sell it as you mentioned. It's still a beautiful car w/ everything else working and all service/maint' upto par.

Why did I keep this car so long? {keep rebuilding transmission}
Well after a collision (no matter how major or minor), resale value becomes abysmal. Then the transmission failure occurred right as I was relocating to Texas from Pennsylvania, and I was to start med. school shortly. I just wanted to drive it till it's end, make it worth the money spent. It's now reached the point where finally 150K miles matter more than a minor accident 7yrs ago in determining it's value.

Why not another new Lexus since so many in family?
That's the family... not me!!! Maybe soon, I'll be settled enough to get something built during THIS G.Bush's administration, not his father's...

As far as not getting another, newer Lexus in the past as many in my extended family have done so... well I had saved alot of money in h.s. & then in college (working, internships, economical lifestyle, etc) and put most of it into the ES' that got hit months after purchase; then transmission failure, etc. The only choices I had then were to sell it for peanuts and get a very basic econo-box (which would've put myself into depression, not being an elitist- but moreso that I worked so hard and sacrifed so much to get the ES') -or- just keep the ES' running and get my use/satisfaction out of what I had. I had to maintain a minimalist lifestyle, grad. school was for 4yrs so I didn't have money towards a potential swapping of cars.

Now that I'm finished w/ all my education, I am planning to get another car, hopefully a Lexus! Irony is that my [B]Acura NSX /B] is my daily driver, not the ES' (been like that for a few yrs!) Those 1st gen. GS300's get my juices flowin'... lol! Sad to say, I'm still stuck in the '90s in terms of cars... (ie. Acura NSX, Gen.II Acura Legend, Gen.I Lexus GS300, Gen.I ES300, Gen.II LS400, IS300, Gen.I Infiniti Q45, '99-'02 Accord Coupe, etc...)

Again, sincere thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Osiris_x11; 12-23-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 01:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Na, the TCCU at that time didn't have control over the fluid pressure. It simply controls the solenoids - locking/unlocking the torque convertor & changing gears.
You could always check the throttle valve cable (kick-down cable) also. If it's loose shift quality can become crappy.

I don't think replacing the ECU would help, but if you want to replace it, you'll need the ECU (TCCU). Luckily used ones normally run about $20-50 *when* you can find them. Check ebay. The are identified by a Toyota sticker with big green 3VZ-FE letters & an A/T somewhere. A M/T TCCU obviously won't work. (They're rare, don't worry about them).

Like I said, I'd skip a new ECU.

Drop the pan & see what kind of particles are on it. Metal is gear/band material, anything else is the clutches wearing. If it's clean, there may not be some big problem.
But go ahead & do that & flush it.
Old 12-23-05, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't want to pay out of your pocket, you could finance with aamco. Just a sugestion, I don't know if you like financing or not.
Old 12-23-05, 11:18 PM
Osiris_x11
Driver

Red face redo a once-over...

Thanks for more suggestions... I do see from time to time the transmission "brain"/ECU on EBay, I'll take a shot for what it's worth.

Also, I'll check the ATF and it's contents- if any are present.

Reverse-gear now isn't working for the most part...

Regarding AAMCO and payment plan, that's a viable option indeed. The local AAMCO here actually is owned/run by a good friend of my dad. He was the one who did the job in August 2002 in Texas, which lasted till December 2002... lol! He did a fine job though when it came to corporate dialogue concerning the warranty. I got a full-rebuild in VA, courtesy of AAMCO due to the warranty paperwork he fwd'd to me.

For now, I'm gonna try to call up some Toyota/Lexus wreckers & salvage yards in attempts to score a fair-mileage, non-rebuilt transmission... and then get a local imports shoppe to do the swap. I think I'm through w/ AAMCO, Lexus dealer service shop, etc. for now in regards to this particular ES'.
Old 01-27-06, 11:42 AM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

How come you have an NSX then?
Old 01-27-06, 12:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Probably the same reason you are bumping a 1 month old thread?