ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES For Your Viewing Pleasure!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 04:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just came from the LEXUS site and they have an INCREDIBLE section for the to be released in October 2002 ES 300! Looks pretty SWWWWWEEEEEEET!!!
What are you waiting for! :eek:
www.lexus.com

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 08-07-01 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-07-01, 04:20 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

Whoops! Guess I'm late.
Old 08-07-01, 05:18 PM
jroosh
Driver

Thumbs down 2002 ES300

no thanks. I think I like the old one better. Doesn't look like a bar of soap.

I think I will buy my 99 ES when it comes off lease until the new ES at least has Sportier wheels and more power.

jroosh
99 ES with MM EVO's
Old 08-08-01, 04:48 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2002 ES300

Originally posted by jroosh
no thanks. I think I like the old one better. Doesn't look like a bar of soap.

I think I will buy my 99 ES when it comes off lease until the new ES at least has Sportier wheels and more power.

jroosh
99 ES with MM EVO's
What's with the bar of soap comparison?
Old 08-08-01, 06:53 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Default nice

I think the new Lexus is pretty nice. I currently own a 1995 ES300 and i cant imagine them being any nicer.

Lexus keep up the good work!!
Old 08-08-01, 09:25 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs down My 2 cents........

Although styling is very subjective.......beauty is in the eye of the........ etc. etc..........The one thing no one can argue about is the fact that they DID NOT UPGRADE THE ENGINE !!!! This is really unbelievable and even shameful, and I think it deserves a big "SHAME ON LEXUS SHOUT FROM ALL OF US!!!!!!!. I just can't get over it.....Why would anyone want to pay $40K on a grossly underperforming (by today's standards) vehicle!!!. Even the 2002 HONDA ODYSSEY minivan has been tweaked to produce 240hp and its a GOD DAMN Minivan for cryin out loud......YES, a "cookie-baking-Soccer-mom vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......and even that has a whopping 30 more horsepower!!!. I simply don't get it!!!!! I CAN ONLY HOPE they don't do the same thing with the new RX 300 due out next year
Old 08-08-01, 10:24 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Angry

I must totally agree with you there Vicpai. I am extremely dissapointed and most of all surprised by this move. The vehicle is no doubt heavier and w/ just about everyone else beefing up their powerplant in this segment, (especially Infiniti) this is troubling. But apparently for the "typical" ES buyer this won't be an issue. I just spoke w/ my new car sales manager up at Park Place and he said that although they won't have a demo to drive til' late September, they have 45 pre-orders w/ money down. :eek:
Old 08-08-01, 10:32 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Default Txstyle

Hi TXSTYLE,

Where in dallas are you? I live in The Colony. Nice to meet a fellow texan here. The specs on your car are very nice indeed, looks like you have one sweet machine.

Have fun and enjoy,

Erfan Afshar
Old 08-08-01, 10:39 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up You're invited to the first DALLAS Meet!

Thanks for the props! And hey listen, you are more than welcome, (as are any of you in this area) to join me for the first ever Dallas CL meet on Saturday Aug.18 at Park Place Lexus in Plano! It's gonna be da' ******! :eek:
Check out the meetings section *Southwest*
Old 08-08-01, 10:54 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Default dallas meet

I am definetly there, I live 10 minutes away from Park Place Lexus. What time is the meet.

Thank You

Erfan Afshar

Last edited by Erfan; 08-08-01 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-08-01, 11:08 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My 2 cents........

Originally posted by vicpai
Although styling is very subjective.......beauty is in the eye of the........ etc. etc..........The one thing no one can argue about is the fact that they DID NOT UPGRADE THE ENGINE !!!! This is really unbelievable and even shameful, and I think it deserves a big "SHAME ON LEXUS SHOUT FROM ALL OF US!!!!!!!. I just can't get over it.....Why would anyone want to pay $40K on a grossly underperforming (by today's standards) vehicle!!!. Even the 2002 HONDA ODYSSEY minivan has been tweaked to produce 240hp and its a GOD DAMN Minivan for cryin out loud......YES, a "cookie-baking-Soccer-mom vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......and even that has a whopping 30 more horsepower!!!. I simply don't get it!!!!! I CAN ONLY HOPE they don't do the same thing with the new RX 300 due out next year
I believe that the new ES will run the quarter mile quicker (16.1 seconds) than any previous ES, so I'm not complaining there. Also, the most Lexus can squeeze out of that 3.0L they're using right now is 220HP/220 lb.-ft. of torque. So, unless the RX gets a bigger engine, it will not have any more HP/torque than it already does. Having said that, Lexus won't look good "redesigning" vehicles and keeping the engine the same. I can tell you LOTS of people will be VERY pissed off if Lexus come out with a bigger engine for the RX next year, because that engine will go into the V-6 Camry/ES as well. Lexus will probably NOT do this, though, because they would also have to put bigger engines in the IS300/GS300. If Lexus does, though, they will have THOUSANDS of irate 2002 ES owners breathing fire down their necks. It would be one of the biggest f___-ups in the history of the automobile.
Old 08-08-01, 03:42 PM
jroosh
Driver

Thumbs down Dissappointed for sure

...the design looks heavy, thick, and makes the track look too narrow; the look doesn't say anything except "Look at me" and when you do, it doesn't know what to say except "I'm ugly" versus "luxury", "power" or "prestige" or ". The front and the back don't go together. The fact that the power has not been increased will not be lost on the public, especially with Acura's TL S-Type available (finally) in some volume, Mercedes C-Class with a 3.2 Liter, and the 330i with more power than ever.

I'm really dissappointed because I love my Lexus, the dealership, and especially the service department, but the designers at Toyota lost me on this one. I've got my fingers crossed that it will look better in person.

jroosh
99 ES
Old 08-08-01, 04:44 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that they should have upped the power, but it looks like Lexus is moving the ES to more of the luxury side while relying on the IS for the entry level sporty vehicle. Look at the list of luxury options for the new ES. They're trying to create a baby LS430.

One thing they did do is change from a 4-speed to a 5-speed trans. Should help a little. The average Lexus buyer will probably never notice that the power is on the meager side.

As for the looks. I'm going to withold judgement until I see it in person. I thought I liked the SC430 until I saw it live. But, after seeing it up close and on the road I don't like the look at all.
Old 08-08-01, 04:52 PM
jroosh
Driver

Thumbs down more power please

sorry, but I respectfully disagree - no offense but that sounds like an excuse. People will notice.

If the ES is going to be the same price give or take as the 3.2 TL Type S then it better have as much power.

Power IS luxury.

jroosh
Old 08-08-01, 04:59 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

jroosh, I agree with you that power matters -- to you and me. But, from the marketing surveys I've read, the average Lexus ES buyer is more concerned with the Lexus reliability and luxury. Even so they should have upped the power.

I guess time will tell. I know I wouldn't buy one (with or without the extra HP), but I'm a GS guy anyway. The ES is more my fiance's style.

Quick Reply: 2002 ES For Your Viewing Pleasure!