ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus ES300 1995

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 01:54 PM
magicray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling, Thumping Feel - Lexus ES300 1995

Hi I'm an owner of a Lexus ES300 1995 and I just replaced the spark plug a few weeks back with the NGK. I did not change the wires however, if that makes a difference. This es300 has pads over the spark plugs.

Anyhow the problem is, the car spurts or wants to stall for about half a second, the RPM doesn’t move. A friend thinks it might be my fuel injectors, being dirty. does any one think it might be the wires that needs to be changed. I'm thinking only cars with distributors, the wires should be changed.

Thanks - Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by magicray; 01-05-06 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would have been best if the wires were changed also everytime you change the spark plugs. And did you change all 6 of the spark plugs or did you only change the front 3? But that might not be the case because my car had 3 different brand name plugs in the front and the back, nothing happened.
Old 01-04-06, 05:30 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

OEM Toyota, Vitek, or magnacore wires. Anything else is like using non NGK, or Denso spark plugs. The spark will degrade shortly, and non very good quality wires simply destroy themselves sitting on the engine.
Stay with your original wires until they give you a problem. Even when kept outside, generally Nippon-Denso wires tend to last 200,000miles+.

No, I highly doubt anything is wrong with your Denso injectors. Toyota's fuel system is virtually bulletproof. The filters nearly never clog, the parts are golden. That's why all the other Jap makers use Denso parts LoL!

Check for vacuum leaks & then go clean your MAF with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.
Old 01-05-06, 03:37 PM
magicray
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies - just to answer a few questions:

The car does have 260 000 KM. I did change all of the spark plugs except the wires, I was thinking, wires should only be changed if their is a rotary distributor. The reason why I did change the Spark Plugs was to get rid of the stalling it had in the beginning, I couldn't go over 60km/h the car would seriously stall, so changed the plugs and everything was fine. Car ran smoothly. About 2-3 weeks after this problem occurred. Again just to reiterate it's a type of thumbing or stalling while the gear is in drive I can feel it. For example if i'm at a light on my foot on the brakes the car would thump, thump.

Please if any one else has any ideas to share i'm open to them – thanks
Old 01-05-06, 04:20 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

You've got a 1mz-fe. Yours in particular has a wasted spark ignition. There is no distributor. 3 ignition coils drive 2 spark plug each over rotation - one spark is wasted (exhaust stroke) hence wasted spark. Later ones had coil-on-plug. 6 coils drive 1 plug each.

Any plug wire can go bad, but it has proven to be extremely hard to tear up Nippon-Denso spark plug wires.

Your 1mz-fe is OBD-II, if it were misfiring enough for the o2 and/or knock sensors and/or coils to detect, you'd have a check engine light & trouble codes stored.

Thumping insinuates it's a problem with something rotating hitting something else. Sticking your head in the engine bay & triangulating the position (Front-back/driver-passanger/top-bottom) of the noise is the only way we're really going to be able to help you. As you can imagine... There are a hundred rotating parts inside the engine bay.
Check the accessory belts, the accessories they drive, and the timing belt / sprockets / pulleys.

I still think you need to check for vacuum leaks, and clean your MAF, UIAC, IAC & EGR valves.
Old 01-05-06, 05:17 PM
magicray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pheonix
You've got a 1mz-fe. Yours in particular has a wasted spark ignition. There is no distributor. 3 ignition coils drive 2 spark plug each over rotation - one spark is wasted (exhaust stroke) hence wasted spark. Later ones had coil-on-plug. 6 coils drive 1 plug each.

Any plug wire can go bad, but it has proven to be extremely hard to tear up Nippon-Denso spark plug wires.

Your 1mz-fe is OBD-II, if it were misfiring enough for the o2 and/or knock sensors and/or coils to detect, you'd have a check engine light & trouble codes stored.

Thumping insinuates it's a problem with something rotating hitting something else. Sticking your head in the engine bay & triangulating the position (Front-back/driver-passanger/top-bottom) of the noise is the only way we're really going to be able to help you. As you can imagine... There are a hundred rotating parts inside the engine bay.
Check the accessory belts, the accessories they drive, and the timing belt / sprockets / pulleys.

I still think you need to check for vacuum leaks, and clean your MAF, UIAC, IAC & EGR valves.
Well to be more specific is not a thumping "noise", but thumping as car running then thump (wants to stall half a second) then car running again when in drive. I'm going to grab compressed air can's and try to spray around the engine area, to see if it gets worse. A vacuum leak or somthing...

I will clean the areas you've mentioned tomorrow night and see if we get any positive results. Mean while I just wanted to compile a few tips to see what others think and when working on the car test those theories.

BTW when I changed the spark plugs the Engine Light went off.

Last edited by magicray; 01-05-06 at 05:30 PM.