ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: should i change the T-belt NOW (w/97k miles)?
yes sireebob!
82.86%
no, not really
18.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

should i change the T-Belt???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 10:07 PM
texrexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hey, that's a great price for all that work. You did good!!!! Enjoy!
And thanks for sharing.
Old 01-30-06, 10:49 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

I'd get it all done.....tb, wp etc.
Old 01-30-06, 11:14 PM
ih8fizzix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texrexlex
Hey, that's a great price for all that work. You did good!!!! Enjoy!
And thanks for sharing.
Not a problem, yeah my mechanic is a great guy, an honest and trustworthy gentlemen.
Hopefully I wont have to put any more money into the car.
(3500 for the car + 790 for the work) is quite a bit for me.
Old 05-02-06, 09:37 PM
ESpair
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interference engines

Lexus confirmed what flipside909 stated. I recently emailed Lexus with the following question:

"Which ES model years have an interference engine?"

Here is their response:

"ES models with an interference engine are those from 1999 and later. Lexus recommends that timing belts be changed every 90,000 miles in all models for peace of mind and when major engine work is performed such as valve jobs or engine rebuilds. We hope this information is helpful to you. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Wendelstadt
Lexus Customer Satisfaction"
Old 05-02-06, 10:08 PM
texrexlex
Rookie

thanks for the info ESpair!
Old 05-25-06, 09:08 AM
ChrisTapia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stub333
I recently did a T-Belt job and replaced everything...waterpump, tensioners, etc. All of these parts had 80k miles on them and could have lasted another 50k at least, we could not believe the condition they were in. Highway miles might have been a factor, who knows. I know I could have waited much longer though.

In your case I would just replace the T-Belt at this point. Next T-Belt job I would do everything else
Hey stub333... how much was it for everything.. how much money u spent in total?? i just did taht to my car and they charged me 500...
Old 11-05-06, 02:39 PM
turbotc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ESpair
Lexus confirmed what flipside909 stated. I recently emailed Lexus with the following question:

"Which ES model years have an interference engine?"

Here is their response:

"ES models with an interference engine are those from 1999 and later. Lexus recommends that timing belts be changed every 90,000 miles in all models for peace of mind and when major engine work is performed such as valve jobs or engine rebuilds. We hope this information is helpful to you. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Wendelstadt
Lexus Customer Satisfaction"
So that means my 99 ES must have an interference engine? It has VVT-i. So that means if the TB goes, so does my engine, is that correct?

Can someone recommend a good mechanic that can do all of this work in the Boston/Metrowest area? I had my local Toyota dealer did the 60K work before and they were reasonably priced. I could try calling them again but if anyone has a good independent mechanic in my area, please give me his name.

I have 91K now and am getting nervous. Thanks.
Old 11-06-06, 08:51 PM
texrexlex
Rookie

TurboTC,

Nothing to get too nervous about. When i had my t-belt and water pump changed at 100K miles, i looked at the "old" parts that were replaced. They looked so damn good that i know i could have gone another 50K miles w/out even getting close to being on the verge. However, i do not live in the same conditions that you do. Still, you have plenty of time to get it done. If you do not get any recommendations from anyone here for your location, just look in the yellow pages for an independent garage/mechanic that specializes in toyota/lexus. They'll almost always be a better deal that the dealer's.
Old 11-27-06, 08:50 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

being a mechanic, personally i would change it just to be on the safe side and of course to make ur car last as long as it possibly can, i recently serviced my moms 01 camry at 65k, now i know i wont have to worry till about 180k miles, my 00 es300 has 57k right now and im planning to service it myself when it hits 70k.
Old 12-22-06, 03:50 AM
Pogo
Driver School Candidate

Since getting into that area of the engine isn't cheap, I chose to have a lot replaced: water pump; anything to do with the water pump like pulleys and such; timing belt; anything that looked qestionable; anything else known to fail relatively often; and any inexpensive part even if it looked ok.

The water pump was original. If the previous owner had replaced it when he did the timing belt...

Well, the pump probably *looked* ok then, some 55k miles ago. It still looked ok except it leaks.

I don't have the invoice with me, and other work was done so I can't give an exact price. I think it was around $800.

I'll not have to go in there for another 90k. I'm pretty confident of reaching getting there because it's a good car and I take care of it.
Old 12-29-06, 08:07 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

We at Toyota recommend the timing belt replacement @ 100K on the 1MZ-FE,but 97K is close enough,don't forget to check the idler pulley,water pump and the tension pulley,because at higher mileage the idler pulley tends to make a winey noise after T-belt replacement!

Note:If anyone does a T-belt on a 3MZ-FE they must be really careful,because the 3MZ-FE valves and pistons come really close to each other when they are set to top dead center,Toyota recommends to go back 65 degrees (counter clockwise) from Top dead center before removing the T-belt(This does not apply to the 1MZ-FE)!
Old 01-24-07, 01:25 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

This has all been very helpful information. I changed my first timing belt at 90K miles, my second timing belt at 180K miles and I'm about to have my third timing belt changed at 273K miles. I will also replace my water pump which is still the original. I should have changed the water pump at 180K miles but the service person told me that it was still okay. Our cars can really go the distance...
Old 01-25-07, 04:45 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed my first TB at 90K and the second at 200K.
My es300 is a 98 so according to the Lexus response, I dont have to worry about my TB breaking and causing damage to my engine.
I think I will leave the TB in this time when I hit 300K and see how long it will go.
Old 02-21-07, 08:55 AM
dopefishzz
Driver School Candidate

I'm still on the original timing belt on a 94 with 205,000 miles
Old 07-02-07, 07:43 AM
Toronto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dopefishzz
I'm still on the original timing belt on a 94 with 205,000 miles
I bet if we could ever hear from the belt manufacturer, that just might not be beyond the expected/average lifetime of the belt.

If you know what "non-interference valves" means for older engines, have money in the stock market, don't have trouble sleeping at night, and are otherwise very cold-bloodedly statistical, leaving a belt till 150,000 miles or so and ignoring a water pump till leaks or till over-heating is apparent... would be the rational approach.

Of course, I know nobody who fits that description.

Is that the rational approach?

Quick Reply: should i change the T-Belt???