ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

found out where my lag was coming from

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 07:43 AM
dallison
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found out where my lag was coming from

in another thread i was saying i had a decent amount of lag.

well i found out that it most likely is the clutck pack, they say it's shot. the 1st thing they checked was the trans fluid. it is black, not brown or red, but black.
so they sound correct. i took it to aamco since the local toyota dealer goes thru them.
they saidd it would cost around 2-3k for the repairs, until they rip it apart and thats all they find

i have an appointment with the dealer i purchased the car from a couple months ago, the say they want to drop the pan to see if there are peices from the clutch pack.

now a question i have is, when you wear out those clutch plates and the band, will you find peices of the clutch material in the oil pan?

and can you tell a lot by just dopping the pan?
Old 02-11-06, 07:52 AM
dallison
Intermediate

i forgot to say what is happening.

when i am driving, lets say 35 mph and put my foot to the floor, normally the trans would kick down to the lower gear.

my car accelerates a little, then there is about a 2 second pause , and then the trans really kicks in and accelerates very well.

from a dead start there is no slipping at all, ever.

this always happens at speed when i go to kick it down, you get the lag and then it kicks in after a couple seconds.
Old 02-11-06, 11:50 AM
element51
Rookie

IMO, i think that you should ride it out until the tranny fails or is on the verge of failing. at that point, pick up a brand new one and be on your way. Still the same $2-3k or even less if you buy used. I just don't see a point in repairing something (FOR THAT MUCH $$$) that is still very drivable.. after all, unless you're racing your car (which i hope you're not) that lag shouldn't be more of an inconvinience than an issue. but hey, if you've got $3,000 to blow away on an inconvinience, go for it!
Old 02-11-06, 11:57 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Flush the fluid. If you've got a TV calbe (Kick down) tighten it more.
Old 02-11-06, 01:50 PM
dallison
Intermediate

i was thinking of having the dealer replace it, i wasnt gonna pay that much
Old 02-11-06, 03:07 PM
dallison
Intermediate

the reason i am bringing it to their attn, i was trying to get out of another cars' way, and i couldnt and almost was creamed
Old 02-11-06, 04:52 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Drop the pan & see if it's metal bits, or just carbon from the clutches.
Then flush it.

Either way flush it.
Old 02-11-06, 06:33 PM
dallison
Intermediate

i know if there are metal peices, that is most likely trouble. what if they do find peices of the clutch plates, is that something to worry about also. i am only asking b/c i have never had trans problems before and need to know as much as possible.

they are gonna drop the pan and check things out
Old 02-11-06, 08:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Metal = gears and nothing else. You always find some amount of carbon particles floating around from normal wear.
Regardlessof wether or not you feel like doing it. You have 0 reason to let aamco drop the pan. They've already flat out told you the transmission is dead. So all they're gonna do, regardless of what condition it is in, is tell you the same old story.

More likely than not it's just gonna be a waste of a money let them drop the pan, or change the fluid & replace he filter.

I'm not saying it's dead, or alive. But most of the time, transmission problems are caused from fluid being dead, or low. It only takes a few miles to blow a clutch if it's slipping, but if you catch a fluid problem quickly enough... it's nothing mroe than accellerated wear.

What I'm saying, is that spending $10-30 for some transmission fluid to really "see" if there is a major transmission problem can be ironed out before it's shot, That's a good deal!

Last edited by Pheonix; 02-11-06 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-12-06, 04:44 AM
dallison
Intermediate

cool phonix, thanks for the info
Old 02-12-06, 08:05 AM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dallison
in another thread i was saying i had a decent amount of lag.

well i found out that it most likely is the clutck pack, they say it's shot. the 1st thing they checked was the trans fluid. it is black, not brown or red, but black.
so they sound correct. i took it to aamco since the local toyota dealer goes thru them.
they saidd it would cost around 2-3k for the repairs, until they rip it apart and thats all they find

i have an appointment with the dealer i purchased the car from a couple months ago, the say they want to drop the pan to see if there are peices from the clutch pack.

now a question i have is, when you wear out those clutch plates and the band, will you find peices of the clutch material in the oil pan?

and can you tell a lot by just dopping the pan?
I used to own Nissan Sentra . It gave me same problem which u mentioned . I drop the pan and found out carbon pieces . I took it to AMCO to rebuild the Transmission . They charged me 1500 . THen after few months the transmission gave me someother problem like back shifting and the old symptoms returned . I went to junk yard and bought used trany for 300 and WALA! it was good as new .
So my suggestion is just buy used trany . Its not worth to spend 3K on it .
Old 02-23-06, 09:30 AM
dallison
Intermediate

it was the MAF sensor. good as new. they also flushed the trans fluid too all at no charge
Old 02-23-06, 12:04 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Niiiice