ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 03:40 AM
FwC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the piping is too big, I do believe you can just get another coupler and convert it to the right size. The intake manifold is 2.75" and the AFM (air flow meter) outlet is 3". You need an adapter to connect an aftermarket air filter to the AFM.
Old 10-04-06, 10:30 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wouldnt trust those ebay parts, iv never really trusted anything sold off ebay. i would rather pay a little extra $$ to get a good quality product from a company i know is reliable and have no worries.

Another thing though, iv had people tell me that when they install their intakes on their cars they take off the MAF and the car runs fine, no problems. But in mine i found out the hard way it doesnt, when i first installed the intake (i did it at night with a friend, not a good idea) we didnt tighten one of the couplinks real tight and when i was driving the car around the engine all of a sudden cut out and the steering locked up. when i went to check the intake, i saw that it had fallen off lol. i kno my fault, but the thing is the MAF was making the intake too heavy and making it fall down so i had to ghetto rig it and stick something in the space under the intake to hold it up. When i talked to weapon R about it they said i shouldnt have the MAF on still because its an extra unnecessary piece thats adding too much weight. so wut do i do, when the intake with the MAF came off my car cuts out, but then how am i supposed to be able to drive around without it connected? is it only Lexus cars that cant drive without the sensor or are there others? and is there a way to be able to drive without the sensor connected without having any problems? thx in advance for any help
Old 10-04-06, 09:50 PM
FwC
Rookie

Dude, post a pic of your weapon R intake. And show us how you connected it. To quote the FSM, "Air filtered through the air cleaner passes through the volume air flow meter and the amount flowing to the
air intake chamber is determined according to the throttle valve opening in the throttle body and the engine
rpm.
The volume air flow meter measures the intake air flow by the opening of the measuring plate in response
to the volume of intake air to the engine.
Located in the throttle body is the throttle valve, which regulates the volume of intake air to the engine.
Intake air controlled by the throttle valve opening is distributed from the air intake chamber to the manifold
of each cylinder and is drawn into the combustion chamber.
At low temperatures the IAC valve opens and the air flows through the IAC valve and the throttle body, into
the air intake chamber. During engine warning up, even if the throttle valve is completely closed, air flows
to the air intake chamber, thereby increasing the idle speed (first idle operation).
The air intake chamber prevents pulsation of the intake air, reduces the influence on the volume air flow
meter and increases the accuracy of the measurement of the intake air volume. It also prevents intake air
interference in each cylinder.
– ENGINE TROUBLESHOOTING SFI SYSTEM
EG–161"

Last edited by FwC; 10-05-06 at 02:01 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-05-06, 07:35 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Ok I circled it, i do have it connected, but i wanted to kno if there was a way to not have it connected and still have the car run fine? my friend has a 95' firebird and when he installed his intake he jus took the sensor off and the car still runs fine, but i dont kno if Lexus can do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails The Best & Only Intake That Works. -40usd-intake-maf.jpg  
Old 10-05-06, 08:27 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

No. Come on I've said it several times now LoL! MAF's are not restrictive anyway. Build a manometer & check the pressure drop. It'll be like 3-5 inches. That's nothing.
Old 10-05-06, 12:28 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

The only reason i want to take off the MAF is because it makes the intake too heavy and too long, if you notice on the picture, i have a screw driver wedged in there holding up the filter because if not it eventually falls off.
Old 10-05-06, 01:57 PM
FwC
Rookie

Have you tried turning the AFM around to release tension from the wires?
Old 10-06-06, 06:14 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

No need to, the wires dont have any tension they arent pulling at all, the problem is that with the sensor on it makes the intake a lot longer and makes it more top heavy. therefore it starts leanin downward more and eventually falls off thats y in the pic you can see a screw driver i wedged in an empty space to hold the intake up. ghetto rigged i kno, but i havnt had any problems since.
Old 10-07-06, 03:06 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly sure what you are talking about, but if the intake is slipping off the Intake manifold maybe u should look into buying better clamps, such as t-bolts. I had the same issue with mine, but when i used better couplers and t-bolts the intake stayed on and its been a few months even with a cold air extension peice which is making it really heavy at the top.
Old 10-10-06, 01:40 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Im using the clamps that came with the intake, and iv tightened them as much as possible, but the tube that connects the pipe to the manifold is rubber, and slips off, no matter how tight it is.
Old 10-10-06, 02:49 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The clamps you have are just generic hose clamps. They are very weak & can not hold set tension for very long.

On a T-bar, you can set the tension you want & lock the clamp down. They will not release/slip & can hold alot more tension.
Otherwise you can make a yourself a bracket.
Old 10-11-06, 07:01 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Question

Where can i buy these clamps? and around how much do they cost?
Old 10-16-06, 05:50 PM
TwiztidLex
Rookie

Just got my Intake from Cosmo Racing in the mail today. Will try and do the install tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 10-16-06, 06:30 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Where can i buy these clamps? and around how much do they cost?
Ebay!
Old 10-17-06, 06:30 PM
cowdung
Rookie

you sure know your shiznits pheonix....only if you knew how to spell phOEnix correctly

Quick Reply: The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd